+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Issues with SP+spouse OWP. PLEASE HELP!

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
Hi all! I would appreciate any help or suggestions regarding my situation.
I want to go to Canada as a student and take my future wife with me (OWP).

We are from Ukraine and are both 26 years old. I hold a Masters Degree in Business Economics (graduated 2014), but I've been working in communications field for 1,5 years already. I want to get into 2-year diploma program in Business or Communications in Canada. I also hold an associate diploma from Buffalo, NY, USA, college. (2010-2011). I've been to Canada (visitor) and the U.S. (visitor, student, G4 visa) many times before. My fiancé has been to the U.S only once (2007, Work and Travel). Both of us have taken IELTS recently (7.5)

I am looking at September 2015, but I have to start collecting all the documents now.

Regarding finances: Salaries in my country are very low, so the is no way a person could gather the needed amount of money for education. However, I have an uncle, who is a Canadian citizen, but lives and works in the U.S. and he is ready to provide me and my future wife with all the finances for the education, accommodation, etc.

So here are my main concerns:

1. Is it O.K. that my uncle is providing us with the money? He is an anesthesiologist in the U.S., so he doesn't have any issues with it. We don't have bank accounts in my country, and even if we create one, it will be very complicated to transfer money there. So is possible that he will just provide a letter and his bank account, etc. I mean he will just show it, but I won't have physical access to the money, he will be paying on his own. There is another option, which is more complex, he can make me a joint holder of his account. And does my wife has to show proof of finances for herself (and how) if she is also dependent on my uncle's money?

2. We don't have strong ties in Ukraine, besides our parents and siblings. We are both working, however, but I am not sure if it plays any role…

3. Ideally would be getting into 2-year Diploma program, but there might be issues with visa. Wouldn't it look strange that I am lowering, so to say, my education? Or is it better to choose a Post-Graduate certificate program (but it's only 1 year, and I need 2 years)

4. We will marry in October this year, and we will apply for visa somewhere in April 2015. Do we have to provide evidence of our genuine relationship? We only have travelled together. We don’t pay rent together, and don't have bank accounts. Or marriage certificate will be enough?

Sorry for such a long post, but I am really confused about these 4 issues. If you know anything, please kindly suggest me. Thanks!

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting post,

Here's my take on your situation,

1) As long as your uncle isn't a distant relative, I feel you still have a shot. Your uncle should write a letter to the Visa Officer stating his intention to help you out etc etc. Although I think the situation is iffy, but still worth a shot. I went to Canada 10 years ago on a student visa and had my cousin write a letter to the VO where she stated she would take care of me in terms of expenses and rent etc. I got my visa then. The ideal situation would be if you'd have a Bank account in Ukraine and your uncle could transfer the money right away, that way you could show 4 months of account statements with adequate amount of money in it.

2) This one is imperative. The visa officer will NOT grant you a visa if he thinks you don't have strong ties to Ukraine. Considering the political situation in Ukraine, it would aggravate the matter more cause anyone could easily think you are looking to immigrate. As long as you AND your future wife can prove you have family connections ( the best case scenario being property in your name, any bank accounts or assets like shares, mutual funds etc), the visa officer will think you will come back. Perhaps, you could ask your parents to sign an affidavit saying you will inherit their property etc.

3) You hit the nail right on its head. The visa officer would probably think what you've just written. The best case scenario is to write a to the point Statement of Purpose/ Letter to the Visa officer stating your intentions in future. You could pre-empt their thought process by writing that although you have an Masters degree, you dont see it doing justice to your career as you wanna do something else in life etc etc. State points that are logical and cannot be contradicted and I am sure Visa officer would be convinced your intentions are genuine.

4)Again, it would be great if you could have Joint Bank A/c's or assets together on your name that could prove to the visa officer that your marriage is genuine. I've seen so many applications having either of their spouse's visa getting rejected cause the Visa Officer thinks their marriage is not genuine. Mostly, that happens if someone's recently married. When I applied for an open work permit along with my wife's student visa, I also wrote a letter to the Visa officer stating that my wife was emotionally dependent on me and she needed my financial support so I had to be with her otherwise she wouldn't make it. You do need a marriage certificate. Also, I apologise for my ignorance in advance but you'd need to have all documents translated into English ( I wonder if Ukraine uses Slavic) to submit your application.

Hope thats helpful.

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
kaulvirus said:
The ideal situation would be if you'd have a Bank account in Ukraine and your uncle could transfer the money right away, that way you could show 4 months of account statements with adequate amount of money in it.
Thanks a lot! But I would still need to explain where did the money come from, wouldn't I? I mean if he just transfers money, there won't be any other movements on the accounts, besides that sum...