+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Issue of Foreign income before becoming PERMANENT RESIDENT ( PR )

Bikram2021

Mar 24, 2024
Hello folks,

I came to Canada on September 2019 as permanent resident. At that time I remained in Canada for just one month collected my PR card and went back to my home country. While being in Canada I got my sin number and opened a bank account.
After that I returned back to Canada after two years on September 2021 and started working from then onwards.
While filing my first Canadian tax return in the year 2021, by mistake/ignorance I did not mention in that tax return that I became the resident Canadian tax resident in 2021, at that time I had confusion that I might have became the text resident in the year 2019.

Now when I get in touch with the CRA for some other matter, I got to know that they are not having the date on which I became the text resident of Canada. They are asking me the date on which I became the tax resident of Canada.

After going through the government website, I came on the conclusion that I became the text resident on September 2021.

Now because I did not mention that I became the tax resident in the year 2021 tax return, I got the tax credits/refunds as per the whole year. Now if I'm trying to amend it now then the tax software system is asking my foreign income of the year 2021 prior to September 2021, i.e. prior to becoming a tax resident of Canada in the same year. And if I am putting my foreign income in the tab that I earned before becoming the Canadian tax resident from my home country I'm getting the pro rata basis benefits, which are less than the amount which I have already got from the 2021. So it seems and is quite obvious that the excess amount I got in the 2021 return I have to return back to CRA.

Though one accountant from which I asked for the solution for it, he asked me to not show any income I earned in that year prior to becoming a tax resident in Canada. As CRA have no system to check my foreign income. And that will solve my purpose. Because then there will be no difference in the benefits which I already got and which I should have got. But I don't want to hide anything from the tax authorities. So my questions now are as follows:

Question no. 1 - If I amend my 2021 return now how much in interest and penalty shall I be liable to pay on above of the amount which is already due to be paid to CRA due to the overdrawn benefits or refund amount.

Question no. 2 - In doing so will I make CRA suspicious due to me not disclosing my foreign income earlier in the year 2021 and they might go for audit of my whole account and everything.

So I really want a good advice regarding it?

Last edited: