+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is UCCB actually considered as a part of family income? Thanks

dsyleven

Dec 21, 2015
Hi everyone,

According to CIC website, any Canada child tax benefit paid to the sponsor under the Income Tax Act does NOT considered as your family income. However what about UCCB (Universal Child Care Benefit). Some people told me that UCCB is not like CCTB, it is definitely considered as your income, some people told me that it is NOT. Therefore I'm so confused about it now. Could anyone who has experenice help me out. Many thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------(The below info is from CIC website)
Sponsors of parents and grandparents

To achieve a more responsive and sustainable program for this family class category, the following regulatory changes (Appendix A) were made to the sponsorship criteria for parents and grandparents:

An extended undertaking period for sponsors of parents and grandparents and their accompanying dependents to 20 years (R132(1)(b)(iv));
An increased MNI equivalent to the annual MNI plus 30% (R133(1)(j)(i)(B));
Evidence of income limited exclusively to documents issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) (R134(1.1)(a));
A lengthened period for demonstrating ability to meet the MNI from one year to three years (R134(1.1)(a)).
In practical terms, this means that, under the amended regulations, to be eligible, prospective sponsors of parents and grandparents must meet the following requirements:

They must demonstrate that for the three consecutive taxation years preceding the date of their application, their income, including the income of the co-signer, if applicable, is equal to or greater than the annual MNI plus 30% for each of the three years;
They must submit a Notice of Assessment (NOA) or an equivalent document (Option C print out) issued by the CRA to substantiate the amount of their income and their co-signer’s income, if applicable, for each of the three consecutive years preceding the date of their application (for example, in January 2014, applicants must submit the NOA or Option C print out for 2012, 2011 and 2010 taxation years). No other proof of income will be accepted;
The calculation of the sponsor’s total income will include the income of the co-signer, if applicable, and will be based on the amount recorded on the NOA or other document issued by the CRA (Option C print out) to the sponsor and to the co-signer, if applicable, less any amounts earned from the following sources:
any provincial allowance received by the sponsor for a program of instruction or training;
any social assistance received by the sponsor from a province;
any financial assistance received by the sponsor from the Government of Canada under a resettlement assistance program;
any amounts paid to the sponsor under the Employment Insurance Act, other than special benefits;
any monthly guaranteed income supplement paid to the sponsor under the Old Age Security Act; and
any Canada child tax benefit paid to the sponsor under the Income Tax Act.