+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is "Travel for Marriage" is considered as Essential Travel?

Feb 16, 2021
Dear All

I pray and hope that you are doing better. I am a Bangladeshi national living and working in Maldives. My fiancé (Canadian citizen) lives in Ontario. After waiting for a long time, her divorce will be done in March 2021 hopefully. We are planning to get married and have a wedding in Bangladesh in April 2021 before we apply for Family Class (Spousal and Outland) Sponsorship. We are thinking to have our honeymoon in Maldives and then we both travel to Canada and stay in her house in Ontario until my official vacation finishes.

As you all know, non-essential travel is not recommended.

The questions:

1. Is "Travel for Marriage" is considered as "Essential Travel"?
2. Is there any possibility that I will be able to enter Canada/Ontario with a TRV with her, after our marriage and honeymoon on April or May 2021? Note: It's okay if we both have to be in home-quarantine.

We will be really grateful to you for your authentic information.

Thank you so much.

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
1) No. Essential Travel is outlined pretty specifically. It is medical professionals, truckers, and airline staff. But that just means "who can skip the quarantine".

Canada will not care why she leaves. But when she comes back, she will be treated the same as anyone who is not a medical professional, trucker, or airline staff.

2) You can enter Canada to visit a close family member, like a spouse. You still have to pay 2000$ per person for the new 3-day hotel requirement, and do the 11 day quarantine at home.

This is not essential, but it is still allowed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear All

I pray and hope that you are doing better. I am a Bangladeshi national living and working in Maldives. My fiancé (Canadian citizen) lives in Ontario. After waiting for a long time, her divorce will be done in March 2021 hopefully. We are planning to get married and have a wedding in Bangladesh in April 2021 before we apply for Family Class (Spousal and Outland) Sponsorship. We are thinking to have our honeymoon in Maldives and then we both travel to Canada and stay in her house in Ontario until my official vacation finishes.

As you all know, non-essential travel is not recommended.

The questions:

1. Is "Travel for Marriage" is considered as "Essential Travel"?
2. Is there any possibility that I will be able to enter Canada/Ontario with a TRV with her, after our marriage and honeymoon on April or May 2021? Note: It's okay if we both have to be in home-quarantine.

We will be really grateful to you for your authentic information.

Thank you so much.
Do you already have a TRV? Getting a TRV can be very difficult. Many Canadians have had to postpone their weddings within Canada so leaving Canada to get married when the wedding hasn't even been planned would be seen as non-essential travel. She can certainly leave although the Canadian government recommends no travel except absolutely necessary. Think any traveler needs to be prepared for the possibility that they could get stuck abroad if they travel. Whether that will happen is unknown but travelling comes with big risks.

Reactions: SunnySideOfL!fe

bobobibi

Feb 11, 2021
For clarification,

The Canadian government aren't stopping ANY Canadians from leaving or returning to Canada.
So for your wife it shouldn't be a problem.
For you on the other hand,
you will require some documentation upon reaching customs at the arrival airport in Canada.
My wife traveled to Canada recently by herself.
She had our marriage certificate and a copy of my passport with her and it was all good.
She is from a visa free country, so as long as you have/already have your TRV it shouldn't be a problem.

Conaider

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Besides what people already told you, remember these are very uncertain times and whatever the traveling rules are right know may very well be changed by May (or not, who knows!)

Feb 16, 2021
1) No. Essential Travel is outlined pretty specifically. It is medical professionals, truckers, and airline staff. But that just means "who can skip the quarantine".

Canada will not care why she leaves. But when she comes back, she will be treated the same as anyone who is not a medical professional, trucker, or airline staff.

2) You can enter Canada to visit a close family member, like a spouse. You still have to pay 2000$ per person for the new 3-day hotel requirement, and do the 11 day quarantine at home.

This is not essential, but it is still allowed.
Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate it.
I will be fully vaccinated (with AstraZeneca’s 02 doses) by April. I will get some sort of foreign government Identification/Card proving that I am vaccinated. In that case, will they allow me to enter without quarantine at hotel? Is there any rules/regulations on foreign people fully vaccinated overseas?

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
I will be fully vaccinated (with AstraZeneca’s 02 doses) by April. I will get some sort of foreign government Identification/Card proving that I am vaccinated. In that case, will they allow me to enter without quarantine at hotel? Is there any rules/regulations on foreign people fully vaccinated overseas?
So far, Canada could not care any less if you are vaccinated or not. Their official stance is that without data, there is no reason to believe you cannot spread the disease to others, even if you are vaccinated.

So you will be treated the same to everyone else, and pay the 2000$, for the foreseeable future.

Yes, it is stupid, and unfair. It is what it is.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Right now, no, not even for those vaccinated in Canada. While most expect that this will change in future, do NOT plan on this being the case anytime soon.

Reactions: YVR123