+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is this true?4 months to 6 months to get the sponsor approved

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
i heard today that on the cic website there is a part saying that sometimes it could take between 4 to 6 months just for the sponsor to get approved?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Inland sponsorship has been 6 months for some time.

Outland sponsorship is usually faster, although I'm sure there has been a case or two where it took an exceding long amount of time for whatever reason.

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
amikety said:
Inland sponsorship has been 6 months for some time.

Outland sponsorship is usually faster, although I'm sure there has been a case or two where it took an exceding long amount of time for whatever reason.
no it's outland,,,im talking about the 1st step when the application goes to Mississauga in ontario,,,i know it went to over than 3 months before,,,but now it says just 28 days,,,and my lawyer today told me this,that it could takes between 4 to 6 months sometimes,,,she freaked me out to be honest,,,
she said it's on cic website

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Like I said, I am sure there are cases that "Outland" SA went to 3, 4, or even 6 months.

Possible reasons I can think of:
- file is lost
- sponsor needs a more extensive background check ( :eek: probably not a good sign!)
- forms are incomplete and CIC requests additional materials instead of returning the entire application
- sponsor has unorthodox income and needs additional verification

I'm sure there's more reasons. From January 2013 (see spreadsheet in my signature), we did have one applicant that took forever to get SA. You can search for fandv and read his story if you're interested.

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
amikety said:
Like I said, I am sure there are cases that "Outland" SA went to 3, 4, or even 6 months.

- file is lost
- sponsor needs a more extensive background check ( :eek: probably not a good sign!)
- forms are incomplete and CIC requests additional materials instead of returning the entire application

I'm sure there's more reasons. From January 2013 (see spreadsheet in my signature), we did have one applicant that took forever to get SA. You can search for fandv and read his story if you're interested.
i have never seen this to be honest,,,all people i know,were approved in a month or so,,,and my wife who is the sponsor,doesn't have a criminal record,and she is financially good,and the forms should be well completed,since we are hiring a lawyer to make sure of this,,,

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
The lawyer doesn't guarantee that. They are human just like us. Even if they have the best of intentions, they can make mistakes too. (And there are some which are just incompetent!) Keep in mind, the lawyer will probably never touch your file. Almost all the work is done by legal clerks or paralegals.

The best way to do it is to follow the document checklist to a "T." You verify it. Your spouse verfies it. Then let the lawyer verify it. 3 sets of eyes should reduce the chance of errors.

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
amikety said:
The lawyer doesn't guarantee that. They are human just like us. Even if they have the best of intentions, they can make mistakes too. (And there are some which are just incompetent!) Keep in mind, the lawyer will probably never touch your file. Almost all the work is done by legal clerks or paralegals.

The best way to do it is to follow the document checklist to a "T." You verify it. Your spouse verfies it. Then let the lawyer verify it. 3 sets of eyes should reduce the chance of errors.
i do believe that a lawyer is a professional person,and should know about the processing time,,,the processing time she told me about is for inland applications
i sent her an email telling her that it only takes a month for Mississauga to approve or reject an application,,,i sent her the link and she got back to me right away,saying that she thought it is still long,and that she knows the cic changes the processing time all the time,,,this lawyer is from a good firm,and she was advised to us by canada lawyers network

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I agree. The lawyer should know the processing time. That doesn't mean they always do whether by ignorance or mistake.

CIC doesn't change their processing "all the time." They update it regularly on a schedule. You can see when it was last updated on their website. Being an immigration professional, she should know how often CIC updates it - aka the schedule.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
It's true, it can be. When I first applied it was under 30 days. Then all of a sudden it jumped to 90 days. This was after I applied, so the call center couldn't help me because they said I was still inside the time frame. They can change the time frame as it suits them. My Sponsor approval took 4.5 months and it was absolutely not even a question that there would be a barrier for me to sponsor. This last happened in May 2012. It was because they closed the Buffalo office and were moving a lot of other files around. It hasn't happened since.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
amikety said:

- file is lost

I had nothing wrong with my file when it was delayed 4.5 months. I am self employed but that shouldn't be an issue as there is no minimum income. I provided sufficient proof and have always paid taxes on time. Sometimes they just get bogged down and applications get shelved.

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
Steph C said:
It's true, it can be. When I first applied it was under 30 days. Then all of a sudden it jumped to 90 days. This was after I applied, so the call center couldn't help me because they said I was still inside the time frame. They can change the time frame as it suits them. My Sponsor approval took 4.5 months and it was absolutely not even a question that there would be a barrier for me to sponsor. This last happened in May 2012. It was because they closed the Buffalo office and were moving a lot of other files around. It hasn't happened since.
Steph C,,,,thank you so so so much,,,lol,,now im going to sleep and have good dreams,,,i almost got mad at my laywer,,,i just got off of the phone with my lovely wife(the sponsor)we talked for over than 1 hour and 10 mins,,,discussing that,,,i mean the lawyer seems nice and she sounds she knows what she is talking about,,,,thank you very much Steph C,and if i need anything i would ask you

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
gladiateur19 said:
Steph C,,,,thank you so so so much,,,lol,,now im going to sleep and have good dreams,,,i almost got mad at my laywer,,,i just got off of the phone with my lovely wife(the sponsor)we talked for over than 1 hour and 10 mins,,,discussing that,,,i mean the lawyer seems nice and she sounds she knows what she is talking about,,,,thank you very much Steph C,and if i need anything i would ask you
The Lawyer is just being realistic. CIC can and will change the processing times in the middle of your application. But I don't think you have a lot to worry about, much to my envy most people have been approved very quickly for the last 9 months!

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
Hi gladiateur,

Just to give you an idea: I'm a January 2013 applicant.....sponsoring my wife (outland), and our file did get lost. As a result, it took 77 days (2 months and 18 days) for me to get my sponsorship approval, while other January 2013 applicants got their approval in roughly around 30 days or so.

I think 6 months is crazy..... :p possible, yes, but very unlikely these days (unless you're applying inland), since stage 1 is done pretty quickly, because of the barcode system (in the past it used to take around 3 to 4 months though).

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
fandv said:
Hi gladiateur,

Just to give you an idea: I'm a January 2013 applicant.....sponsoring my wife (outland), and our file did get lost. As a result, it took 77 days (2 months and 18 days) for me to get my sponsorship approval, while other January 2013 applicants got their approval in roughly around 30 days or so.

I think 6 months is crazy..... :p possible, yes, but very unlikely these days (unless you're applying inland), since stage 1 is done pretty quickly, because of the barcode system (in the past it used to take around 3 to 4 months though).
Hi there,,,, :),,thank you for your reply
im applying for out-land,,,and the lawyer told me it only takes around 30 days now to get the sponsor approved,,,thank you very much,,,which stage of process you are in now?

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
gladiateur19 said:
Hi there,,,, :),,thank you for your reply
im applying for out-land,,,and the lawyer told me it only takes around 30 days now to get the sponsor approved,,,thank you very much,,,which stage of process you are in now?
Wow so your lawyer changed her mind then? Caz yesterday she still said that it could take 3 to 6 months for the sponsor to get approved :p

We're still going through stage 2 now :). Basically, my re-done application arrived at CPC-Mississauga on 15 April, and I got my SA within literally 2 days (on 17 Apr). In the sponsorship approval letter, CPC-Mississauga also indicated that they had forwarded our file to the Singapore visa office. Then on 25 April, the Singapore office emailed my wife the 2nd stage AOR, notifying that they got our paperwork on 22 April (so basically it took 5 days for our file to reach the Singapore visa office from CPC-Mississauga.)

In my wife's e-CAS, now it still says "Application Received" and "Medical results have been received."

Note: due to the lost forms, we never got the 1st stage AOR though. We went straight to SA ^^. Our original file reached CPC-M on 30 January, and if the forms didn't vanish, we probably would've got the 1st AOR around 14 Feb or so... =)