+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is this "Approved In Principle"? Seems way too quick? Should we even apply for an OWP now?

canadaAZ

Jun 8, 2024
"This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or Common-
Law Partner in Canada Class.

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence
as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met.

These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you and all your family members have met these requirements."

From what we can find online, this means that both the sponsor and applicant are approved in principle and the only things outstanding are medical and security/background checks?

We submitted the original Inland PR Spousal application July 10th.

Request for additional documents (IMM0149-Details of Government Work) made on August 2nd.

Submitted additional documents (IMM0149-Details of Government Work) made on August 8th.

Request for biometrics letter received on August (Biometrics appointment scheduled for September 3rd, but biometrics have already been submitted 2 years ago, and medical already submitted one year ago for unrelated student visa).

Invitation to Pre Arrival Services sent on August 16th.

The above "Approved in Principle" letter received on August 20th.

Everything I find online indicates that this "Approved in Principle" letter signals that we are near the finish line, however seeing as we only submitted the application one month ago it does not seem realistic.

JollyOwl

Jan 26, 2023
Must be a new thing, because I sponsored my wife in March 2024 and just 2-3 weeks ago she did her medicals. Not heard back again.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or Common-

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence
as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met.

These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you and all your family members have met these requirements."

From what we can find online, this means that both the sponsor and applicant are approved in principle and the only things outstanding are medical and security/background checks?

Request for additional documents (IMM0149-Details of Government Work) made on August 2nd.

Submitted additional documents (IMM0149-Details of Government Work) made on August 8th.

Request for biometrics letter received on August (Biometrics appointment scheduled for September 3rd, but biometrics have already been submitted 2 years ago, and medical already submitted one year ago for unrelated student visa).

Everything I find online indicates that this "Approved in Principle" letter signals that we are near the finish line, however seeing as we only submitted the application one month ago it does not seem realistic.
When does your legal status expire?

Unless you need the OWP before becoming a PR, I suggest waiting for PR. The new AI `helpers' seem to be fast-tracking applications and you could very well be nearing the finish line. Just be mindful to extend your legal status (on the day before it expires) if you haven't completed the PR process by then.

publichealthnerd

May 25, 2023

I had a similar quick timeline (submitted on Feb 7th and received AIP very quickly on March 25th) and my background check is still in process five months later. It does not signify an approach to the finish line for everyone, unfortunately.

Charlamanderxxxx

Star Member
Jun 27, 2024

Hello! Congratulations, that definitely sounds like the AIP! Did the sponsor receive the SA as well? Is your eligibility marked as completed in the tracker? (I’m not sure if the tracker is working again, and from my experience, GCKey usually doesn’t show eligibility as complete until everything else is finalized). Even though things might be moving quickly now, the background check tends to take the longest. For me, it took almost 7 months. Right now, I think people from early January are just finishing their background checks and getting P1.

Reactions: YVR123

canadaAZ

Jun 8, 2024
When does your legal status expire?

Unless you need the OWP before becoming a PR, I suggest waiting for PR. The new AI `helpers' seem to be fast-tracking applications and you could very well be nearing the finish line. Just be mindful to extend your legal status (on the day before it expires) if you haven't completed the PR process by then.
Currently on a student visa, that needs to be extended as of November 2024. The plan was to apply for OWP this month after receiving AOR but things seem to have rapidly progressed after receiving AOR.

Another user said they received the same acknowledgement in principle letter in the same timeline after applying (1.5 months) but five months later still nothing.

I'm curious if already havig an approved student visa and one approved extension has benefited the PR application at all?

canadaAZ

Jun 8, 2024
I had a similar quick timeline (submitted on Feb 7th and received AIP very quickly on March 25th) and my background check is still in process five months later. It does not signify an approach to the finish line for everyone, unfortunately.
Thanks for the info. I am curious if your background checks had any limiting factors?

canadaAZ

Jun 8, 2024
Hello! Congratulations, that definitely sounds like the AIP! Did the sponsor receive the SA as well? Is your eligibility marked as completed in the tracker? (I’m not sure if the tracker is working again, and from my experience, GCKey usually doesn’t show eligibility as complete until everything else is finalized). Even though things might be moving quickly now, the background check tends to take the longest. For me, it took almost 7 months. Right now, I think people from early January are just finishing their background checks and getting P1.
Sponsor has not received anything - should that be expected by now?

Neither of us seem to be able to log into this tracker (https://ircc-tracker-suivi.apps.cic.gc.ca/en) but the applicant is able to log into the IRCC secure account - which shows the status of each area. To note, it does say that most sections are not needed. Possibly meaning not needed yet?

Charlamanderxxxx

Star Member
Jun 27, 2024
Sponsor has not received anything - should that be expected by now?

Neither of us seem to be able to log into this tracker (https://ircc-tracker-suivi.apps.cic.gc.ca/en) but the applicant is able to log into the IRCC secure account - which shows the status of each area. To note, it does say that most sections are not needed. Possibly meaning not needed yet?
I don't think you need to be worried about the SA as yet. Some get SA first and then AIP after a few days and vice versa. The tracker is still not working which I have heard about it before. gckey won't state that the eligibility is done until everything (background check too) is done so I think for now be patient and wait for the SA and a letter mailed to you!