+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there any point to PNP?

CWilson

Star Member
May 5, 2015
... Hear me out. This might not apply to all provinces but Nova Scotia for example say this:

"Before submitting an application to the Nova Scotia Nominee Program (NSNP), the skilled worker must have a full-time, permanent job offer from a Nova Scotia employer"

From: https://novascotiaimmigration.com/move-here/skilled-worker/

PEI and Ontario appear to have similar policies. So, my point is, there are 2 ways to get 600 points which pretty much guarantee ITA, one is to get a job offer, one is to get PNP. But if you need a job offer to get PNP what is the point of going through the PNP process?

tiffany123

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 3rd 2015
Doc's Request.
Dec 1st 2015
Nomination.....
Oct 19th 2015 (OPNP)
AOR Received.
Nov 3rd 2015
Passport Req..
March 18th 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 1s t2016
LANDED..........
Inland applicant
a permanent job offer does not mean it is LMIA valid

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
CWilson said:
... Hear me out. This might not apply to all provinces but Nova Scotia for example say this:

"Before submitting an application to the Nova Scotia Nominee Program (NSNP), the skilled worker must have a full-time, permanent job offer from a Nova Scotia employer"

Apart from the fact that there are 2 other express entry streams for Nova Scotia (incl. demand, job offer not mandatory)...

... one is to get a job offer with LMIA , one is to get PNP (LMIA not required). The point is, you go through the province's evaluation, not Service Canada.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
BCPNP-EE Post-Graduate stream doesn't require job offer. SINP-EE doesn't even have a stream for people with a job.

CWilson

Star Member
May 5, 2015
jes_ON said:

Apart from the fact that there are 2 other express entry streams for Nova Scotia (incl. demand, job offer not mandatory)...

... one is to get a job offer with LMIA , one is to get PNP (LMIA not required). The point is, you go through the province's evaluation, not Service Canada.
Good point, I'd overlooked the Demand based PNP

I understand the job offer without LMIA in theory. But am I right in thinking if I got a job offer without LMIA I'd then have to wait for the PNP to come through, then wait to get ITA, then wait to get PR? You can't do a job without LMIA unless you have PR right? So the employer would have to be willing to wait 6-12 months for you to start. Seems unlikely to me.

umers36

Nov 24, 2007
CWilson said:
Good point, I'd overlooked the Demand based PNP

I understand the job offer without LMIA in theory. But am I right in thinking if I got a job offer without LMIA I'd then have to wait for the PNP to come through, then wait to get ITA, then wait to get PR? You can't do a job without LMIA unless you have PR right? So the employer would have to be willing to wait 6-12 months for you to start. Seems unlikely to me.
What if employer is not satisfied with the employee's performance? Will employee (immigrant) be able to switch his job without any hassle ?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
If a person has LMIA-based WP, there is no need s/he go through this, use the LMIA to get 600 points and go EE pool. It benefits people who are working under a non-LMIA-based WP (non-valid job offer).

Once the immigrant has landed there is no restriction in movement between location (Unless bounded by PNP) and jobs.

CWilson

Star Member
May 5, 2015
mf4361 said:
If a person has LMIA-based WP, there is no need s/he go through this, use the LMIA to get 600 points and go EE pool. It benefits people who are working under a non-LMIA-based WP (non-valid job offer).

Once the immigrant has landed there is no restriction in movement between location (Unless bounded by PNP) and jobs.
But you can't actually start a job without LMIA unless you've got PR right? So if someone offers you a job without LMIA and you don't have PR it's going to be 6 months+ before you can actually start (get PNP, get ITA, get PR, land, start). I can't see an employer being prepared to offer a job with such a long wait before you actually start. They'll also have to trust that you will actually get PR after police checks and medicals. I don't understand how this is a realistic option.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
CWilson said:
But you can't actually start a job without LMIA unless you've got PR right? So if someone offers you a job without LMIA and you don't have PR it's going to be 6 months+ before you can actually start (get PNP, get ITA, get PR, land, start). I can't see an employer being prepared to offer a job with such a long wait before you actually start. They'll also have to trust that you will actually get PR after police checks and medicals. I don't understand how this is a realistic option.
There are people who a work permit that isn't bound to a specific employer, that's called an open work permit (PGWP, IEC). There's also Close WP but LMIA-exempted (NAFTA, ICT)

But yes for people who have nothing to start with, you'll need LMIA, then apply for WP and start working. I don't get employers hires someone from overseas and take a 6 months lag either either. Dual-intend LMIA makes it about 2-3 months, but still. That's why PNP might work for people with a job, but no LMIA.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
CWilson said:
Do some more reading. Provincial nominees for some provinces (incl. Ontario and NS) are provided with letters to apply for temporary work permits (the nomination makes them LMIA-exempt).

I won't deny that the process takes time, and that many employers would be discouraged, but some people manage to make it work.