+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to extend study permit from outside Canada?

D_D

Jun 8, 2020
If I have never travelled inside Canada & I still need to extend my study permit for a subsequent program… is it possible to extend the study permit from outside Canada?

anybody with any information regarding this, please help :)

Thank you

Parv.s

Sep 3, 2020
Yeah I'll help you out here, I am under a similar circumstance right now and from what I have observed you can certainly start an application online through "Apply to come to canada" in your ircc login page.

Then there will be questionarie and somewhere in that questionaire it will inquire what status do you have right now? And then you will say "Student" - this will generate a list of required documents for study permit extension and here is where you will see a big form which opens in a verified pdf in adobe and in that form there is a section which asks specifically when have you entered canada. Now since you haven't - the form will have a shiny red block on that left block and you won't be able to click the validate button to save the details and submit it in the ircc portal, so you in the end won't be able to complete the application.

So tldr; you can start your form, fill in the other details - upload documents like DLI number, new offer letter, financial proof and all that, but you can only complete the form from within Canada and then finally submit it. But I must say that please remember to not to start the application too soon from outside, as the portal only allows you to keep the ongoing application in the system for 60 days - so my recommendation would be you start about 15 days before leaving for canada.

Hope this helps! If you've got any other question lemme know.

D_D

Jun 8, 2020
Yeah I'll help you out here, I am under a similar circumstance right now and from what I have observed you can certainly start an application online through "Apply to come to canada" in your ircc login page.

Then there will be questionarie and somewhere in that questionaire it will inquire what status do you have right now? And then you will say "Student" - this will generate a list of required documents for study permit extension and here is where you will see a big form which opens in a verified pdf in adobe and in that form there is a section which asks specifically when have you entered canada. Now since you haven't - the form will have a shiny red block on that left block and you won't be able to click the validate button to save the details and submit it in the ircc portal, so you in the end won't be able to complete the application.

So tldr; you can start your form, fill in the other details - upload documents like DLI number, new offer letter, financial proof and all that, but you can only complete the form from within Canada and then finally submit it. But I must say that please remember to not to start the application too soon from outside, as the portal only allows you to keep the ongoing application in the system for 60 days - so my recommendation would be you start about 15 days before leaving for canada.

Hope this helps! If you've got any other question lemme know.
Hey!
Thank you so much for taking our time & explaining it so vividly. Appreciate it :)

Though in my case, I won’t be able to travel to Canada. My study permit Is validated till July end & my new program begins in January 2022.
Therefore, if I’m unable to be inside Canada, then any idea what I can do?

Parv.s

Sep 3, 2020
Hey!
Thank you so much for taking our time & explaining it so vividly. Appreciate it :)

Though in my case, I won’t be able to travel to Canada. My study permit Is validated till July end & my new program begins in January 2022.
Therefore, if I’m unable to be inside Canada, then any idea what I can do?
Hey Sorry for the late reply, so I also enquired about such a case and from what I know a couple of things will change for you -

Your application for Jan 2022 will be new - and if your status in Canada expires in July 2021 that means that the implied status cannot be carried forward so seamlessly or justified with the officials. Of course it is upto you for when you wish to travel to Canada but since you won't be there when you ought to apply your entire application would be brand new - exempt biometrics.

Although I would highly suggest if you were to be there. If the "Date of Jan 2022" - "Visa status expiration in July 2021" < 150 days then you can legally be there for 6 months or so doing nothing and it makes your visa file easier.

I am suggesting this because I am not sure about the consequence of such a massive gap would have on your pgwp if you intend to shift to PR, but if not hey that is what education should be ya know.

D_D

Jun 8, 2020
Hey Sorry for the late reply, so I also enquired about such a case and from what I know a couple of things will change for you -

Your application for Jan 2022 will be new - and if your status in Canada expires in July 2021 that means that the implied status cannot be carried forward so seamlessly or justified with the officials. Of course it is upto you for when you wish to travel to Canada but since you won't be there when you ought to apply your entire application would be brand new - exempt biometrics.

Although I would highly suggest if you were to be there. If the "Date of Jan 2022" - "Visa status expiration in July 2021" < 150 days then you can legally be there for 6 months or so doing nothing and it makes your visa file easier.

I am suggesting this because I am not sure about the consequence of such a massive gap would have on your pgwp if you intend to shift to PR, but if not hey that is what education should be ya know.
Hey! Thank you again for the response :)

You have been very helpful, I will keep all your points in mind :)

Good luck :)