+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to apply for citizenship with passport renewed 2 years ago ?

mrabet41

Jul 16, 2024
I renewed my passport 2 years ago, and I did not keep the old passport. Note that I have been in Canada since 2017. Can I start the process only with the current passport ? I wonder if it will have any impact since the citizenship process requires at least 5 years of travel history ? if not, what are the documents I have to provide, I still have only one copy of the first bio page of the old/lost passport.

Thank you.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
If you apply with a healthy buffer above the 1095 days, since you didn't leave Canada since 2017, there's a high chance that IRCC won't ask about the passport stamps because they'll easily validate your physical presence requirement, and not having the old passport won't be a problem. So, just send your application, all you need for it to be complete ifa copy of the biopage after all...
Even in the case they do ask for the document down the line, send a letter of explanation. That could cause some delays, but again, if your physical presence claim is ironclad, we're not speaking about a 3 years processing (which would be the wait time before you can apply with only one passport only...)

Reactions: mrabet41

mrabet41

Jul 16, 2024
If you apply with a healthy buffer above the 1095 days, since you didn't leave Canada since 2017, there's a high chance that IRCC won't ask about the passport stamps because they'll easily validate your physical presence requirement, and not having the old passport won't be a problem. So, just send your application, all you need for it to be complete ifa copy of the biopage after all...
Even in the case they do ask for the document down the line, send a letter of explanation. That could cause some delays, but again, if your physical presence claim is ironclad, we're not speaking about a 3 years processing (which would be the wait time before you can apply with only one passport only...)

sorry for the lack of clarification. actually I travelled abroad many times from 2017, but wanted to say that I came to Canada 2017 as a student. Yes :) I have finished 3 years of presence.
Actually was thinking in attaching a proof of travel history (ATIP from CBSA) along a letter of explaination. would that suffice.

Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Actually was thinking in attaching a proof of travel history (ATIP from CBSA) along a letter of explaination. would that suffice.
As part of the application process, you provide evidence of your travel history in the form of ... providing yourself the dates of your travel. That is the primary source of your travel history.

IRCC has access through CBSA to those records. They will almost certainly check those records (how carefully we do not know). Big discrepancies will likely cause delays and possibly requests for more evidence so ... do it correctly.

That is usually sufficient, providing your own travel history. IRCC is well aware that stamps in passports are not at all reliable (often not stamped).

If you want to provide the ATIP records, by all means, but not necessary (unless there's some specific issue you wish to address like you do not know the dates).

Reactions: mrabet41