+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible C6 will become law by July 1

Need Canadian Pr

Jan 25, 2015
Hi sorry for asking same question again

Is there any chance new 3 years rule will be back by July 1 2017

I went to edg immigration firm today and they said, they are hopping new citizenship rule will be back by Canada day 2017 July 1

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

I went to edg immigration firm today and they said, they are hopping new citizenship rule will be back by Canada day 2017 July 1
Best to follow discussion in one of the following topics:
Bill C-6: Senate stage
Bill C-6, Messages between the HoC and the Senate, FACTS ONLY

Among other topics where this and related discussions are following Bill C-6, see
Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

Note, in particular, there are many topics already following the progress of Bill C-6. Frustration with those is understandable since they tend to be populated with more than a few distractions. Nonetheless, better to follow one of the more established topics about this, skipping through tangents and distractions, than to continue additional discussion in an additional topic such as this.

That said, as of now the odds are fairly good that Bill C-6 will be fully adopted and receive Royal Assent before the summer break in late June. This is, however, way short of a guarantee. Moreover, the actual implementation of the new 3/5 presence rule is NOT likely to take place before fall, if even then, and this is still true even if Bill C-6 becomes law before July 1, 2017.

There are already ample explanations for this in the other topics.

No one can yet reliably forecast the date Bill C-6 will actually receive Royal Assent. More may be known later this week since the Bill is on the agenda in the HoC (the significance of this, however, has previously led to disappointment; hard to say what will happen until it actually happens).

It is even more difficult to forecast when the 3/5 rule will take effect. Safe to say it is not likely to take effect before the end of summer, but beyond that everything is guessing, and anyone claiming otherwise is not being honest.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012

They are hoping .... and I am hoping I win the lottery this week lol -- realistically , does anyone actually think there is a chance it can happen in a month? I think it would be a miracle if it becomes law a year from now

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

6242 cook

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
I am sure it will be law and we can apply after July 01 2017

But remember it may will take 12 months to approved citizenship application when old rule will be back ( 3 years rule )

Now it is taking average around 6 months

SufferInCan

Star Member
Oct 7, 2016
I am sure it will be law and we can apply after July 01 2017

But remember it may will take 12 months to approved citizenship application when old rule will be back ( 3 years rule )

Now it is taking average around 6 months
I really hope you are right. Please share the source of information

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
This rule will be impossible to be applied in July 2017. When I say impossible, I mean it. The biggest news will be " a Canadian is a candad8sn is a Canadian" that's all what the government needs for the July.

neina

May 7, 2017
I honestly don't think it will be passed before September as they are still discussing the bill. The Senate has sent back the bill for further considerations to the House of Commons. In order to get Royal Assent, both parties need to agree on the bill. The government is actually reviewing the amendments done by the Senate.

However, I have a question. what about the people who apply for Citizenship next week, and lets say the bill C-6 becomes law. Will they have their applications returned?
Thank you.

niting80

Star Member
Mar 4, 2017
Winnipeg
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
2 Dec 2012
LANDED..........
15 Jan 2013
I honestly don't think it will be passed before September as they are still discussing the bill. The Senate has sent back the bill for further considerations to the House of Commons. In order to get Royal Assent, both parties need to agree on the bill. The government is actually reviewing the amendments done by the Senate.

However, I have a question. what about the people who apply for Citizenship next week, and lets say the bill C-6 becomes law. Will they have their applications returned?
Thank you.
I don't think the submitted apps will be returned. Based on my experience with CIC/IRCC, they take the applications as either previous law or new law!

If I was applying next week, frankly I would pray that bill doesn't become law for another 3 months. Let my application reach a certain stage before IRCC gets bombarded with thousands of new applications.

I know I am sounding selfish and cheesy... :oops:o_Oo_O