+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it mandatory to change Spouse Name/surname change after marriage?

dsky189

Jan 28, 2013
Hi...............
I am PR holder in Canada and married last month from India. Now forms for applying visa are completed and even medical is completed but only thing is, my spouse name in passport is not changed. Passport is on her father's name only, is it necessary to change name in passport, our surname/family name are same, we belong to same caste. We got marriage certificate from India and even my spouse name is mentioned in my new passport. Would there be any problem in issuing visa from the Canadian authority......... Please advise and help me out...........Thanks

Reactions: sidd200970

jarry96

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 17, 2012
AOR Received.
October 3, 2012
File Transfer...
October 4, 2012
Med's Done....
July 4, 2012
Passport Req..
April 26, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 29, 2013
dsky189 said:
Hi...............
I am PR holder in Canada and married last month from India. Now forms for applying visa are completed and even medical is completed but only thing is, my spouse name in passport is not changed. Passport is on her father's name only, is it necessary to change name in passport, our surname/family name are same, we belong to same caste. We got marriage certificate from India and even my spouse name is mentioned in my new passport. Would there be any problem in issuing visa from the Canadian authority......... Please advise and help me out...........Thanks
It is not necessary in Canada for a wife to take her husband's family name. This will present no problem with your visa application. Anyway since both you and your wife already have the same surname there is no change to consider.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Not at all. I landed October 20th 2011 after PR approval, and my wife only got her name changed here in Canada earlier this month (we're lazy and prioritised many other things first). No one cared nor asked any questions even when we went across the border countless times. I doubt anyone would care (beyond perhaps people in our family) if we decided to not change her name at all.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Bargeld said:
Not at all. I landed October 20th 2011 after PR approval, and my wife only got her name changed here in Canada earlier this month (we're lazy and prioritised many other things first). No one cared nor asked any questions even when we went across the border countless times. I doubt anyone would care (beyond perhaps people in our family) if we decided to not change her name at all.
Plus you can't change it in Quebec.

Allydx

Dec 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-02-2013
Med's Done....
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
This was a concern of mine too. I have not changed my name last name to my husband's only because I had not made up my mind to hyphenate my name or not. Now our application is in and I have made a decison. If I change my last name now and notify CIC will this put a delay on the application? Will I have to submit a photocopy of my passport showing the name change?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Allydx said:
This was a concern of mine too. I have not changed my name last name to my husband's only because I had not made up my mind to hyphenate my name or not. Now our application is in and I have made a decison. If I change my last name now and notify CIC will this put a delay on the application? Will I have to submit a photocopy of my passport showing the name change?
I would wait and not change your name until after you get the PR visa and have landed in Canada. There is no need to change your name at all, so not having done so will not cause any problems. Changing your name during the application process will delay things at least a bit. At the least you will have to submit a copy of your new passport. Wait and change your name once you are in Canada as a PR. If the visa officer asks you at an interview why you didn't take your husband's name (which is a very unlikely question), just explain you plan to change your surname to a hyphenated version of your and your husband's surnames after arrival in Canada. There won't be any problem.

Allydx

Dec 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-02-2013
Med's Done....
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
Thanks Canadianwoman. I think as you said it is best to wait. Though, I am Canadian and it is me who is the sponsor, I don't want any delays if it can be avoided.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Oh, in that case it wouldn't delay things much - maybe some time, just to reenter info. Still, I would just wait until the processing is done.

Darrppy78

Star Member
Jan 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-11-2012
AOR Received.
8-11-2012
File Transfer...
14-01-13
Med's Done....
28-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
I agree with canadianwoman, you are better off waiting for a few more days or months. The process is already slow as it is without added delays. I would also want to take on my husband's name and have wanted to do so since the wedding but realized that it would include having to change too many of the documents required for the application. As a result I am waiting until the whole immigration process is complete. You are a sponsor so the case may be different for you but why take the risk. You don't want to give CIC any reason to question you. Plus when in other places you can refer to yourself using your husband's name (I always do). All the best.

Allydx

Dec 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-02-2013
Med's Done....
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
Thank you Darrppy. All the best to you too!
Yes, I too use my husband's name in other places. Our friend's and family call me by my husband's name anyway. So it won't hurt to wait untill this proccess is done to change my name. :)

sandy11POP

Jun 20, 2023
My Sister holding an Indian Passport already have a valid Visitor visa for Canada but got her Surname changed on her New Indian passport due to Remarriage and or by Divorce(from the previous marriage), I shall be grateful to have an advise whether she can travel to Canada with the existing Visa she already has(with the previous Surname and by Carrying New Indian Passport where her surname got changed with the previous passport with Canada visa) or she needs to apply a new Visa after change of Surname on her New Indian Passport due to re-marriage and or Divorce. Kind regards