+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it mandatory to apply for SIN number at the time of landing?

venky321

Star Member
May 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2016
AOR Received.
26-05-2016
This is an issue to which I haven't been able to find an answer yet; so I would be grateful for any help.

I will be landing in Calgary next month; and I plan to to do my landing and return to the US in a couple of days. I dont know anyone in Canada, so dont have an address to give; so I think I will apply for the PR card when I move to Canada for good.

Is the same possible with the SIN card as well? Can I apply for it at the time that I go to Canada for work?

aNewHope

Star Member
Feb 24, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for it when you move here for good. Applying for a SIN is pretty straight forward once you have a mailing address in Canada. You get your number on the same day and the card will be mailed to your address. Which means you can apply for a SIN the day before you start work.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

venky321 said:
This is an issue to which I haven't been able to find an answer yet; so I would be grateful for any help.

I will be landing in Calgary next month; and I plan to to do my landing and return to the US in a couple of days. I dont know anyone in Canada, so dont have an address to give; so I think I will apply for the PR card when I move to Canada for good.

Is the same possible with the SIN card as well? Can I apply for it at the time that I go to Canada for work?

tsrikanth

Star Member
Mar 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March-2009
Doc's Request.
Feb-2010
Nomination.....
April-2010
AOR Received.
07-06-2010
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
Yes - Detroit
Med's Request
07-06-2010
Med's Done....
08-07-2010
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
15-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2011
LANDED..........
23-06-2011
Hi Venky,

Please update all the information with your experince after you land and comes back to US. It will help for so many people like me.
Thanks,
Srikanth.

tsrikanth

Star Member
Mar 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March-2009
Doc's Request.
Feb-2010
Nomination.....
April-2010
AOR Received.
07-06-2010
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
Yes - Detroit
Med's Request
07-06-2010
Med's Done....
08-07-2010
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
15-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2011
LANDED..........
23-06-2011
venky321 said:

Hi Venky,

Did you finish landing formalities?

Mayito

Jun 17, 2010
hi, how are you guys?
Im wondering if you have any idea about immigration time process.. I send all my papers including the payment, but I am still waiting for some FBI criminal records wich take 2 months and the immigraton office requires to send it during 30 days.... are they flexible? Also, do you know if doing the payment is a 99 posibility chance of getting the permanent residence?.

Hope you can understand it and help me please.

thanks, have a good one.

asagalen

May 22, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 18, 2010
AOR Received.
April 3,2010
Med's Request
April 3, 2010
Med's Done....
April 14, 2010
Passport Req..
May 21, 2010/Ecas: DM June 23 2010
VISA ISSUED...
July 14, 2010
LANDED..........
july 17, 2010
@ mayito

regarding your case u have to inform the immigration in writing about the delays of you fbi clearance.. that waythey will know u are still interested with ur application. what kind of payment did make?. is it the application for permanent residence and right of permanent residence.??
payment does not guarantee that they will grant u a permanent residence they have a criteria based on what type of application u have.. but most of the cases are being granted unless u have criminal records, or severe health problems. u can visit the cic website www.cic.gc.ca

hope this will help... ;)

Mayito said:
hi, how are you guys?
Im wondering if you have any idea about immigration time process.. I send all my papers including the payment, but I am still waiting for some FBI criminal records wich take 2 months and the immigraton office requires to send it during 30 days.... are they flexible? Also, do you know if doing the payment is a 99 posibility chance of getting the permanent residence?.

Hope you can understand it and help me please.

thanks, have a good one.

Lars Larsson

Jun 27, 2017
Hello friends, please let me move this topic up.
My sponsored mom will be landing shortly, but will only stay here for a few weeks and then go back home for a while. We really don't need to get her any papers yet before she moves in permanently, so I don't want to file her taxes or do anything else.
Question: does she really need to obtain her SIN at landing? If she does, do we need to start filing taxes in 2018? (she will not be working between now and tax time 2018). I just want to have less hassle when it comes to all this tax staff. Thank you very much!