+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it easier to obtain a work permit through farming agriculture?

Pietro

Feb 28, 2009
Hello friends.

I am Italian 29 years old working and living in Mexico City as IT Consultant. Unfortunately I have never gotten along with school and I don't feel like I am in a situation where I can enroll in university right now.

I have thought about a variety of possible routes to immigrate to Canada, but unfortunately with no university degree and without a serious documented work career, I really don't think I will go anywhere.

Apart from IT, I grew up in a farmer family. Since I was little up to the age of 24 I have always helped out my dad whit his wineyard and olive fields. I seriously want to return to Canada and spend some time there, I don't mind if I will have to work in farms or getting my hands dirty. I just want to return and be able to legally work.

So my questions now.

1) Is it any easier to get a work permit (even if tied to the company that sponsor you) through agriculture and farming fields for somebody in my situation that is considered no value for the country and can only do low skilled jobs?

2) Are employers advertising on the jobbank aware of the whole immigration process? Essentially, are they more prone to sponsor than other that advertise elsewhere?

Do you guys have any suggestions? I am kinda depressed and desperate. All I truly want as birthday and christmas present is to be able to return to Canada for awhile.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Regards,
Pietro

Islanders

Star Member
Nov 15, 2015
1. Not easy but you always have to search and try

2. Not all employers are aware abt immigration things. You have to ask them if they are willing to sponsor you or not

Pietro

Feb 28, 2009
Thanks for answering my questions, although I would have appreciated a bit more of details.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
FYI - Most employers in Job Bank aren't actually looking to hire a foreign worker.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Pietro said:
1) Is it any easier to get a work permit (even if tied to the company that sponsor you) through agriculture and farming fields for somebody in my situation that is considered no value for the country and can only do low skilled jobs?
Low possibilities. Usually Canada wants professionals that add value to its non-agricultural economy. Low skilled positions are well covered by local market.

Companies will sponsor immigrants that add specific value to their buisness. Also even if they want to sponsor you they wold have to prove that they can't find anyone in Canada that would do the job, which again is very hard to prove for low skilled positions.

Pietro said:
2) Are employers advertising on the jobbank aware of the whole immigration process? Essentially, are they more prone to sponsor than other that advertise elsewhere?
No. They are the same.

As Islanders explained, most of them are not aware of the process. This makes them even less prone to look into international applicants in order to avoid any uneeded problem with CIC.

Pietro said:
Do you guys have any suggestions? I am kinda depressed and desperate. All I truly want as birthday and christmas present is to be able to return to Canada for awhile.
This doesn't make sense. You can come to Canada "for a while" as you come from a visa exempt country, so travelling for a short vacation should be quite simple.

Now for immigration options. You can look into normal immigration paths like Skilled Worker.
immigration.ca/index.php/en/who-qualifies-for-canadian-immigration-under-the-skilled-worker-program

This will take a while.

I will recomend getting formal education and then applying. Education is easy to come by in Mexico. I know you said "Unfortunately I have never gotten along with school"... but you will have to make an extra effort if you really want to immigrate.

Good luck.

Pietro

Feb 28, 2009
Jalex23 said:
Low possibilities. Usually Canada wants professionals that add value to its non-agricultural economy. Low skilled positions are well covered by local market.

Companies will sponsor immigrants that add specific value to their buisness. Also even if they want to sponsor you they wold have to prove that they can't find anyone in Canada that would do the job, which again is very hard to prove for low skilled positions.

No. They are the same.

As Islanders explained, most of them are not aware of the process. This makes them even less prone to look into international applicants in order to avoid any uneeded problem with CIC.

This doesn't make sense. You can come to Canada "for a while" as you come from a visa exempt country, so travelling for a short vacation should be quite simple.

Now for immigration options. You can look into normal immigration paths like Skilled Worker.
immigration.ca/index.php/en/who-qualifies-for-canadian-immigration-under-the-skilled-worker-program

This will take a while.

I will recomend getting formal education and then applying. Education is easy to come by in Mexico. I know you said "Unfortunately I have never gotten along with school"... but you will have to make an extra effort if you really want to immigrate.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot man. Your pretty much gave me the answers I was looking for, unfortunately for me not that very positive answers.

I will try to look into a decent University here in Mexico City.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
Pietro said:
Hello friends.

I am Italian 29 years old working and living in Mexico City as IT Consultant. Unfortunately I have never gotten along with school and I don't feel like I am in a situation where I can enroll in university right now.

I have thought about a variety of possible routes to immigrate to Canada, but unfortunately with no university degree and without a serious documented work career, I really don't think I will go anywhere.

Apart from IT, I grew up in a farmer family. Since I was little up to the age of 24 I have always helped out my dad whit his wineyard and olive fields. I seriously want to return to Canada and spend some time there, I don't mind if I will have to work in farms or getting my hands dirty. I just want to return and be able to legally work.

So my questions now.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Regards,
Pietro
IRCC do have special streams for employers hiring agriculture workers.
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/foreign_workers/hire/agricultural/index.page

How and were to find employers who use this program is a different question which I don't have an answer for.
Any way this is category C jobs in NOC classification and therefore would not help you to gain any experience/points toward your possible PR application.