+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it better to get married to apply for PR?

hazelm

Jan 3, 2009
My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 1/2 years now. I am from the UK and he is Canadian. I spent our first 6 months visiting canada for a few weeks at a time here and there, then became pregnant, I extended my stay due to a high risk pregnancy. I had our 2 year old daughter in Canada in December 2006. Shortly after I had to return to the UK and we have spent the last 2 years visting canada for 6 months at a time then going home for 6 months etc. My boyfriend vistited us in the UK too but we havent legally lived together for a whole year! Well not since 2006.

We are now back in Canada and preparing to apply for my PR! Would it be easier on us if we were to get married? We plan to marry in the future but at this point would do anything to keep our family together!

Thank you
Hazel

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should get married. Since you have only lived together sporadically, you don't really qualify to apply as common law.

M

med

thats right i think the best solution is to get married so that ur family is reunited ; ur case can not meet the conditions of common law partners andtherefore the only way and fast one to get to ur hubby is to get married , goodluck

hazelm

Jan 3, 2009
I thought that might be the case. To get married in Canada do I just need to apply for a marriage licence? Or is it different being that I am not canadian. We were planning on getting married at the city hall not a church.