+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Doctorate(PHD) Degree Conferral Letter Mandatory for WES Process ?

makkap

Dec 17, 2014
Dear Experts,

As per WES guide line, for PHD evaluation, "Doctorate Degree Conferral Letter" is required but my University is not providing such letter as they are not aware. So in this case, whether, WES will accepts "PHD Certificate" ?

Please all PHD student share your view/experience.

Thanks,
Mak

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To my knowledge, it is mandatory. I received my PhD from UK. I called WES and they told me that I have to send them the PhD certificate photocopy my self while my PhD conferring institution will have to send them the PhD confirmation letter.

makkap

Dec 17, 2014
But "Doctorate Certification" itself indicates completion of degree then again conferral letter ??

Any one send only "Doctorate Certificate" to WES and got Verified ?

Please help !!!

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know its frustrating but that is the process. I think they need the confirmation letter to verify that the degree is not fake.

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
Auone said:
I know its frustrating but that is the process. I think they need the confirmation letter to verify that the degree is not fake.
Exactly this, they can't rely on photocopies received from applicants, they need legitimate correspondence from the awarding institution.

makkap

Dec 17, 2014
@doubleym - This is not the question of photocopy sent by me or institute. Institute is ready to certify copy on PHD certificate but not ready sign on conferral letter of WES.

None of the PHD student face this issue in India !! Strange :eek: :eek:

Please experts, suggest me, if Institute is ready to certificate my PHD certificate only (Not Conferral letter), is this fine ?

Pl help !!

cryptic0

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
I have this exact same problem. My university in the US will not provide a separate conferral letter. They do say that the official transcript will mention: DEGREE AWARDED DATE, which it does. I don't know if this will suffice for WES purposes.

Did you ever figure this out?

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Hi cryptic0,

How did you manage to have this issue resolved? My PhD was also from the US and the University does not provide such a conferral letter.

I have arranged for my University to send my transcript directly to WES. I hope this alone will suffice. As you said, US Transcripts already provide information on the Degree Awarded and the Date. So I can't imagine anything else is necessary as proof of degree conferral. But I don't know how the folks at WES think.

I do think that such a letter is necessary from applicants whose degree was awarded by British (style) universities. Such universities do not issue transcripts for PhD graduates (for the simple reason that their PhD students do not take courses as part of their degree requirement – their PhD was done solely by research).

So, would you mind letting me know how this issue was solved in your case?

thanks a lot!

cryptic0 said:
I have this exact same problem. My university in the US will not provide a separate conferral letter. They do say that the official transcript will mention: DEGREE AWARDED DATE, which it does. I don't know if this will suffice for WES purposes.

Did you ever figure this out?

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
To follow up on my Sept 6 post – I can confirm that for US PhD holders, a separate letter of degree conferral is not necessary. I just received my completed WES evaluation report (and I did not submit the letter).

I think the main reason is that US transcripts already categorically state the degree awarded and the date. By contrast, in some other countries, PhD graduates do not even have transcripts – as they were not required to take any coursework for their degree. In such cases, a degree conferral letter from their awarding university would become necessary.

By the way, the WES evaluation process is very fast – took only about 1 week in my case.

Mac-Kenzie

Feb 16, 2015
I have a similar issue with my educational assessment: I got my Ph.D. from a UK university. WES requires a transcript but Registry does not provide transcripts for research degrees. I just contacted the department where I studied. They agreed to send my progress reports to WES. I hope this works.

A letter to confirm the awarding of the degree and a notarized copy of my Ph.D. diploma is on its way to WES.

Did anyone have similar issues with getting a transcript from universities in the UK?

Canimmi_1

Jun 28, 2016
Hi! So did you finally get the PhD conferral letter from your university in India for WES process? Also is getting spouse's ECA mandatory?

Arsalan78

Nov 10, 2015
My last degree is PhD from Malaysia. I want to get assessment my Phd. Question here is whether i need to submit masters till secondary school certificate to get assessed my Phd. I look forward to hearing from u.

Pure Soul

Aug 10, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sgvo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-01-2018
Doc's Request.
09-08-2018
Nomination.....
04-10-2018
AOR Received.
08-02-2019
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
same question, Do i need to send only PHD document or masters/bachelors also? anyone did Indian PhD evaluation?