+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is CGA (Certified General Accountant) a degree/diploma/certificate?

maxi.khan

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
Dear senior plz knock here!!

I am an ACCA and a BSc in Applied Accounting (Oxford BrookeUniversity) from London, UK, I would like to study further in a professional Accountancy field of CGA in Canada.

* My question is that, is CGA equivalent to degree or diploma on which i'll be eligible in future to apply for PNP or PGWP?
Would you please recommend me some good institutes for it please, preferably in Ontario.

akwats

Jul 24, 2012
Can you explain PNP and PGWP?

If you're a full ACCA member in good standing you can apply for direct membership with CGA Canada. There is a Mutual Regonition Agreement (MRA) between the ACCA and CGA Canada which you can look into: cga-canada.org/en-ca/International/StrategicAlliances/MraAccaCga/Pages/ca_mra_acca_initial_application_process.aspx

You should also visit CGA Ontario's website for easy info cga-domore.org.

cussyandrew

Feb 13, 2012
Islamabad
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2011
IELTS Request
waived
Med's Request
23-07-2012
Med's Done....
01-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2012
LANDED..........
14-09-2012
maxi.khan said:
Dear senior plz knock here!!

I am an ACCA and a BSc in Applied Accounting (Oxford BrookeUniversity) from London, UK, I would like to study further in a professional Accountancy field of CGA in Canada.

* My question is that, is CGA equivalent to degree or diploma on which i'll be eligible in future to apply for PNP or PGWP?
Would you please recommend me some good institutes for it please, preferably in Ontario.
it is the equivalent of ACCA, or you can say the pakistani CA.... (as in it is the same level of education)

maxi.khan

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
@ akwant: PNP = provincial nominee program.
PGWP= Post Graduate Work Permit.

And ACCA is not equivalent Pakistani CA, its just equal to a part of PAK CA.
But my quest is that is CGA a certificate/ diploma/ graduate level program in Canada? So that i can check which rule of immigration will be applicable to me after studying CGA.

cussyandrew

Feb 13, 2012
Islamabad
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2011
IELTS Request
waived
Med's Request
23-07-2012
Med's Done....
01-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2012
LANDED..........
14-09-2012
maxi.khan said:
@ akwant: PNP = provincial nominee program.
PGWP= Post Graduate Work Permit.

And ACCA is not equivalent Pakistani CA, its just equal to a part of PAK CA.
But my quest is that is CGA a certificate/ diploma/ graduate level program in Canada? So that i can check which rule of immigration will be applicable to me after studying CGA.
i meant internationally, ACCA is equivalent to Pak CA, it is just in pakistan where it downplayed (however since the HEC has recognized ACCA as being equivalent to Masters level there has been a change in hirings by companies, take PSO for eg, at the moment they are only considering CA's, ACCA's and IBL/LUMS students for their internship programme)... ACCA is to England as CA is to Pakistan and CGA is to Canada.... also ACCA had a MRA with CGA Canada, whereby any ACCA member just has to give the law and tax papers and is eligible to become a CGA as well!

maxi.khan

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
Thanks a lot cussyandrew;))
Sorry But u haven't answered my question yet:((
Will CGA be eligible to apply for PGWP from canada in future? I mean if i do my CGA from dere??
Or any alternative option to settle down there after having CGA?? Like any province PNP or through CEC??

Sheryar

Mar 5, 2012
Visa Office......
CHC ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-june-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
19- june-2012
Med's Request
13-july-2012
Med's Done....
19-July-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
By the Grace of Allah (24/8/2012)
LANDED..........
6 september 2012
cussyandrew said:
i meant internationally, ACCA is equivalent to Pak CA, it is just in pakistan where it downplayed (however since the HEC has recognized ACCA as being equivalent to Masters level there has been a change in hirings by companies, take PSO for eg, at the moment they are only considering CA's, ACCA's and IBL/LUMS students for their internship programme)... ACCA is to England as CA is to Pakistan and CGA is to Canada.... also ACCA had a MRA with CGA Canada, whereby any ACCA member just has to give the law and tax papers and is eligible to become a CGA as well!
ACCA is not supreme degree in uk itself, its ACA which is granted by ICAEW,it is true designation of UK's accountant.

Sheryar

Mar 5, 2012
Visa Office......
CHC ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-june-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
19- june-2012
Med's Request
13-july-2012
Med's Done....
19-July-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
6 september 2012
In canada there are 3 professional qualifications of accountant CA/CGA/CMA.
they all need to be done after bachelors in any related field after which u can register as CA/cga/cma student and have to undergo training/work experience/professional exams/case studies and group work.

Sheryar

Mar 5, 2012
Visa Office......
CHC ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-june-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
19- june-2012
Med's Request
13-july-2012
Med's Done....
19-July-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
6 september 2012
Sheryar said:
In canada there are 3 professional qualifications of accountant CA/CGA/CMA.
they all need to be done after bachelors in any related field after which u can register as CA/cga/cma student and have to undergo training/work experience/professional exams/case studies and group work.
and for that you need work permit not study permit as u will be doing work while studying part-time for there exams.
it is best to do masters or bachelors from canada and then get 3 year work permit and then start working towards CA/CGA/CMA.

shujaattt

Apr 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad chc
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31 may 2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
inshaAllah very soon
VISA ISSUED...
inshaAllah very soon
LANDED..........
inshaAllah very soon
http://www.degreeinfo.com/business-mba-degrees/40761-cga-after-college-diploma.html

stmani

Sep 18, 2011
@ cussyandrew

thats incorrect information. ACCA is an associate certification not a full chartered accountancy. In relation to CGA, thats totally different, its a certification of general accountancy.....and they are not considered equal, they are only considered authorized by professional accountancy bodies in Canada....

maxi.khan

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
@ stamani:)
ok but is CGA equal to a certificate level education in canada? i mean will i be able to apply for PGWP after doing CGA?? As there is some sort of mutual agreement between ACCA and CGA.

maxi.khan

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
@sheryar: is there any colleges or institute for CGA in canada? Aatually i want to study CGA in Canada and want to apply for PGWP after it so that i can work and gain work experience, its no point to do bachelor/ master's before it out of interest for 2/3 years to gain just a PGWP.

If PGWP is not possible on CGA then i will consider to do some Bachelor or Master's.

shujaattt

Apr 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad chc
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31 may 2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
inshaAllah very soon
VISA ISSUED...
inshaAllah very soon
LANDED..........
inshaAllah very soon
if u have bsc in applied accounting from oxfords then why u don't go for a post graduate diploma or for master's course?