+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is CCB eligible for a couple processing sponsorship?

JonaMJ

Oct 10, 2024
I need an advice if I can receive CCB for my new born child. In the 5-1 form for the child registration, I applied CCB and CRA is requesting to fill out "Confirmation of your citizenship status RC66SCH Status in Canada/Statement of Income form".

Here is the background of us.
I became a permanent resident in 2021, and I will be a sponsor of my husband. We are collecting documents to apply the spousal sponsorship and will submit ASAP.
I was actively working before maternity leave, reporting taxes every year. But my husband is non resident, he has been over stayed since 2018 and doing cash jobs.
We were together since 2020, and I changed my marital status from single to married as of 2024 March 30, when we got married legally after his divorce was completely finished. (It was a along story but he was separated more than 15 years.)
I don't remember if I once changed as common law in the earlier year, though.

Please help me what I can do with RC66SCH form. Many thanks in advance.

lovindahubby

Nov 15, 2013
canada
Category........
FSW
Med's Request
-
I need an advice if I can receive CCB for my new born child. In the 5-1 form for the child registration, I applied CCB and CRA is requesting to fill out "Confirmation of your citizenship status RC66SCH Status in Canada/Statement of Income form".

Here is the background of us.
I became a permanent resident in 2021, and I will be a sponsor of my husband. We are collecting documents to apply the spousal sponsorship and will submit ASAP.
I was actively working before maternity leave, reporting taxes every year. But my husband is non resident, he has been over stayed since 2018 and doing cash jobs.
We were together since 2020, and I changed my marital status from single to married as of 2024 March 30, when we got married legally after his divorce was completely finished. (It was a along story but he was separated more than 15 years.)
I don't remember if I once changed as common law in the earlier year, though.

Please help me what I can do with RC66SCH form. Many thanks in advance.
Who is collecting child tax? You or hubby? If it’s you they need more info because you report your married . They may ask you for your husband income as well.. I remember they did this to me, but my husband was not working so I put his as 0. But they may need his info . Seek some advice first tho.

JonaMJ

Oct 10, 2024
Who is collecting child tax? You or hubby? If it’s you they need more info because you report your married . They may ask you for your husband income as well.. I remember they did this to me, but my husband was not working so I put his as 0. But they may need his info . Seek some advice first tho.
I'm collecting the CCB. If they don't ask any of my husband's resident status and nothing related immigration, I want to try fill out the form and submit ASAP. But my husband is worried about being deported or causing problems to our sponsorship.

lovindahubby

Nov 15, 2013
canada
Category........
FSW
Med's Request
-
I'm collecting the CCB. If they don't ask any of my husband's resident status and nothing related immigration, I want to try fill out the form and submit ASAP. But my husband is worried about being deported or causing problems to our sponsorship.
I would say apply to sponsorship asap and collect ccb after , if the baby just born you have a certain time you can apply for this , before a year I think ! Because they will want to kno why hubby overstayed. Gather all your information and give explanation regarding sponsorship, also include you guys have a child together .

lovindahubby

Nov 15, 2013
canada
Category........
FSW
Med's Request
-
But again if your the one collecting ccb and they asking for confirmation of citizenship just send in your info for permanent residency. Or call CRA and ask what exactly they asking for . But still yo ahead and send in your application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you live together before getting married? If so, you need to amend your taxes for the years you were common law. Are you stating your spouse’s/common law partner’s income? That would need to be amended as well. CRA will not report your spouse but to sponsor your spouse it would be best if your taxes reflect what you have been declaring in terms of relationship status. Without declaring your spouse’s income since your child was born you may have difficulty getting CCB.

Reactions: pooky73

JonaMJ

Oct 10, 2024
Did you live together before getting married? If so, you need to amend your taxes for the years you were common law. Are you stating your spouse’s/common law partner’s income? That would need to be amended as well. CRA will not report your spouse but to sponsor your spouse it would be best if your taxes reflect what you have been declaring in terms of relationship status. Without declaring your spouse’s income since your child was born you may have difficulty getting CCB.
We were leaving since 2021 but his marital status in Mexico was still married. The divorce process/marriage annulment was delayed and resolved in 2023. So I thought we became common law after, as in the year of 2023. I didn't include him in my tax report because he doesn't have a SIN number. Literally I couldn't add him because H&R Block (i used for tax reprt) didn't allow me to in put '000000000'. Does it make sense?

JonaMJ

Oct 10, 2024
But again if your the one collecting ccb and they asking for confirmation of citizenship just send in your info for permanent residency. Or call CRA and ask what exactly they asking for . But still yo ahead and send in your application.
Thank you. I already uploaded my COPR and PR card, but no further change yet. I will call them to check the details.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We were leaving since 2021 but his marital status in Mexico was still married. The divorce process/marriage annulment was delayed and resolved in 2023. So I thought we became common law after, as in the year of 2023. I didn't include him in my tax report because he doesn't have a SIN number. Literally I couldn't add him because H&R Block (i used for tax reprt) didn't allow me to in put '000000000'. Does it make sense?
You can be common law and married at the same time so you do need to amend your taxes. There should be a way to declare your common law/spouse and income without a SIN. Call CRA if you run into difficulties.

JonaMJ

Oct 10, 2024
You can be common law and married at the same time so you do need to amend your taxes. There should be a way to declare your common law/spouse and income without a SIN. Call CRA if you run into difficulties.
Thank you for your advice. I will call CRA how I can amend my previous taxes. I will report his income as $0 and I hope they won't ask too much how he didn't make any income...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your advice. I will call CRA how I can amend my previous taxes. I will report his income as $0 and I hope they won't ask too much how he didn't make any income...
Reporting his income as zero if he is earning an income would be tax fraud. You are wanting to apply for benefits that are directly related to family income.

JonaMJ

Oct 10, 2024
Reporting his income as zero if he is earning an income would be tax fraud. You are wanting to apply for benefits that are directly related to family income.
I understand what you mean. Yes, he worked and paid by cash with no record. But I heard there's a certain level of the amount that doesn't have to be reported, and as I am supporting him financially, he technically doesn't have to work. This was my thought process, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand what you mean. Yes, he worked and paid by cash with no record. But I heard there's a certain level of the amount that doesn't have to be reported, and as I am supporting him financially, he technically doesn't have to work. This was my thought process, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Don’t think CRA would pursue a teenager making babysitting money but all cash income does need to be reported. You qualify for CCB based on the family income which includes cash income. You receive other tax credits based on your relationship status and in some cases family income bracket.