+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is a statement of live birth good enough for the sponsor?

usperson1

Oct 29, 2023
My sponsor doesn't appear to have an official "birth certificate". The only document we can find is a certified copy of a statement of live birth. It's worth nothing that my sponsor does have a Canadian passport that their late mother went through the process of getting for them, so either the birth certificate was lost, or the statement of live birth was sufficient for a passport. What we're wondering is if it's good enough for a spousal sponsorship.

usperson1

Oct 29, 2023
Update: Do we even need the sponsor's birth certificate? We were advised that we did, but going through IMM 5533, it only asks for the applicant's birth certificate.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Update: Do we even need the sponsor's birth certificate? We were advised that we did, but going through IMM 5533, it only asks for the applicant's birth certificate.
I'd go with the instructions.

That said: if your sponsor was born in Canada, all provinces - as far as I'm aware - will issue a new official birth certificate. (It's called an extract from the civil registry but it is an official original for all purposes). I'd recommend getting it just to have it on hand.

(I think this is true of all US states as well, and something similar in eg most countries in the EU, UK, indeed, much of the world).

Charlamanderxxxx

Star Member
Jun 27, 2024
Are you referring to the "Supporting Document for Sponsor" section in IMM1533? If yes, if your sponsor is Canadian, you can choose one of those options there. My husband is Canadian and I used his passport. Worked just fine.