+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is a fiancee conseidered a common law partner?

ahmed_ca

Dec 6, 2008
I have a question

My friend is engaged to a girl since more than one year (she is his fiancee) and they intend to get married after about 6 month. Now, he will apply for the federal skilled worker program as his occupation is listed on the 38 occupation list. My question is can he add his fiancee as a common law partner as they are engaged since more that 12 months but they don't live together because it is forbidden in our religion and our country to live together without marriage.

If anyone had similar experience , please post it here and I want to know the opinion of the experts in this forum

and thank you

C

cajoejoe

Think about it,

From the eyes of the law are they married (that will be a NO)? once on paper, then apply for common partner. Simple logic.

~j

ahmed_ca

Dec 6, 2008
cajoejoe said:
From the eyes of the law are they married (that will be a NO)? once on paper, then apply for common partner. Simple logic.
common law partners doesn't mean that you are married, but it is defined by CIC as they are living together for the last 12 months.

so does this mean that they have to be living together to be considered as common law partners or being engaged and having a social relationship is another form of common law partners? this is my question.

C

cajoejoe

Common Law (PARTNER). How do you Prove they are ? again according to the law.