+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is a Canadian without income eligible to be a sponsor?

traveller2016

May 18, 2016
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding this topic. Maybe my case is a little special:

My wife is Canadian, and we are living abroad.

I plan to apply for PR of Canada. The problem is that I am working and supporting the family financially, while my wife is a house wife without any income. In this case, is my wife still eligible to be a sponsor? I heard that this is difficult, but not sure since I could not find a clear answer in CIC web site...

Thanks!

mia_79

Star Member
Apr 5, 2016
Warsaw - PL / Oshawa - CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2015
Doc's Request.
23-02-2016 (missed); request by phone on 21-06-2016
AOR Received.
24-12-2015
File Transfer...
28-01-2016
Med's Done....
Prior to submission
Interview........
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2016
LANDED..........
Tickets bought for: 12-09-2016
Hello,

There is no actual income requirement to sponsor spouse.
You would need to outline and indicate how you would manage when you move there.
This would mean family help and support of friends, having a job offer, etc.

In my case, I'm a canadian living abroad, sponsoring my wife.
We have a little daughter, I picked up her canadian citizenship papers and passport last week.

When we submitted our application, I had letters from my parents, cousins, local church which we attend as support material.
In these letters, it was clearly stated that during our first weeks or months there, my parents would offer help and support of any kind if needed.
I also attached a job offer from a company which is willing to hire me once i get there. We outlined that we would stay with them for a couple weeks and then rent/buy our own home.

In addition i provided pictures of furniture which my parents already per-bought for us, which indicates our willingness and that we're serious about the move.

Hope this helps

Cheers

traveller2016

May 18, 2016
HI mia_79,

Thanks a lot for the information. That really helps. I will refer to your experience and think about compiling materials to support this decision.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
traveller2016 said:
Maybe my case is a little special:

My wife is Canadian, and we are living abroad.

I plan to apply for PR of Canada. The problem is that I am working and supporting the family financially, while my wife is a house wife without any income. In this case, is my wife still eligible to be a sponsor? I heard that this is difficult, but not sure since I could not find a clear answer in CIC web site...
Your case is not special. Many people with no income sponsor their spouses without issue, as there is no minimum income requirement. You need to show CIC how you will support yourselves in Canada. This can be shown through any combination of your income, savings, assets, investments, family assistance etc.

traveller2016

May 18, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Your case is not special. Many people with no income sponsor their spouses without issue, as there is no minimum income requirement. You need to show CIC how you will support yourselves in Canada. This can be shown through any combination of your income, savings, assets, investments, family assistance etc.
what a relief! thanks!

dominokitty

Mar 19, 2014
Canada - Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2015
AOR Received.
12-12-2015
Med's Request
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
upfront, then again on 25-05-2016
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
30-06-2016 - Calgary
You'll be fine, as long as you can provide evidence that your spouse will be taken care of once they get here. I was unemployed when we applied and was approved fairly quickly. We included a couple of signed letters from my parents (who we live with currently) stating they were willing to help us out with our expenses until we get on our feet, and that was enough.

jwnmm

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2016
Doc's Request.
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2016
File Transfer...
04-04-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM: 28-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempt; CoPR: 02-05-2016
LANDED..........
07-05-2016
My spouse became unemployed shortly before we submitted our application, and we included no extra information except he put he is "searching for jobs" in the bar provided.

I really don't think it would be a problem. Many suggest that you include proofs of support etc. but we didn't even do that and it was fine.

traveller2016

May 18, 2016
jwnmm said:
My spouse became unemployed shortly before we submitted our application, and we included no extra information except he put he is "searching for jobs" in the bar provided.

I really don't think it would be a problem. Many suggest that you include proofs of support etc. but we didn't even do that and it was fine.
Wow! and the processing time was pretty fast according to your profile.

traveller2016

May 18, 2016
dominokitty said:
You'll be fine, as long as you can provide evidence that your spouse will be taken care of once they get here. I was unemployed when we applied and was approved fairly quickly. We included a couple of signed letters from my parents (who we live with currently) stating they were willing to help us out with our expenses until we get on our feet, and that was enough.
The difference between my case and many others like yours is that we don't have parents in Canada who can claim to support us temp'ly, and I don't have a job offer from Canada (difficult to get one before landing there)... I think that the only way remaining for me is to compile a list of assets and claim to "support myself" for a certain period of time before finding a job. :)