+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is a Canadian Citizenship card as good as a Canadian Passport?

gavin

Dec 18, 2006
Hi!

I am not clear on this point: our son, who is half Canadian only has his Canadian citizenship card, and not his Canadian passport (he travels on his Norwegian passport). When we move to Canada, is it OK for him to just have this card when we arrive at the Canadian airport? Or would having the passport help matters in any way?

And in case it matters: I am Canadian and my wife and step-daughter are not, but are currently having their immigration papers processed.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gavin said:
Hi!

I am not clear on this point: our son, who is half Canadian only has his Canadian citizenship card, and not his Canadian passport (he travels on his Norwegian passport). When we move to Canada, is it OK for him to just have this card when we arrive at the Canadian airport? Or would having the passport help matters in any way?

And in case it matters: I am Canadian and my wife and step-daughter are not, but are currently having their immigration papers processed.
It will be fine.

PMM

mink

Apr 29, 2007
My 3 1/2 year old son and I are Canadian, but we live in the US right now. I am wanting to fly back to Canada for a visit with my son but his Canadian passport expired in Feb 07. Can I use his expired passport and birth cert to get into Canada then back into the US?

Thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mink said:
My 3 1/2 year old son and I are Canadian, but we live in the US right now. I am wanting to fly back to Canada for a visit with my son but his Canadian passport expired in Feb 07. Can I use his expired passport and birth cert to get into Canada then back into the US?

Thank you!
You can get into Canada, but you may have difficulties flying back to the US. See: http://canada.usembassy.gov/content/content.asp?section=can_usa&subsection1=borderissues&document=borderissues_whti

PMM

mink

Apr 29, 2007
Thank you PMM,

I'm in the process of applying for a new passport for my son, it's just easier. :)

yiuhi

Aug 19, 2012
Hi!

I am a Canadian and study overseas, but not clear on this matter: my Canadian passport was expired in Apr. 2012. When I move to Canada in next year, is it OK for me to just have my Canadian Citizenship card with a BC Driver licence when I arrive at the Canadian airport?

Thank You!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yiuhi said:
I am a Canadian and study overseas, but not clear on this matter: my Canadian passport was expired in Apr. 2012. When I move to Canada in next year, is it OK for me to just have my Canadian Citizenship card with a BC Driver licence when I arrive at the Canadian airport?
Yes, it will not be a problem once you are in Canada but it is another matter if the airline will let you board the plane with an expired passport.

yiuhi

Aug 19, 2012
Thanks Leon!

It is really nice to get your timely help. I have totally ignore it and will check it with the carrying airline.

I will highly appreciate you or anyone who can give me clues where the answer is.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have to renew your passport, you may be able to do it through the mail, see http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/form.aspx?lang=eng&region=international or if you would rather go to a Canadian embassy or consulate, you can find a list here: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/contact/offices-list_liste-bureaux-eng.asp and it also says which ones are offering passport services.