+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IQAS ECA Frequently Asked Questions

fawazahmed0

Jul 20, 2022
Please review the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) website https://www.alberta.ca/iqas-overview.aspx and/or the IQAS application portal to find up-to-date information and further answers to your questions.

The following questions are answered below, scroll down to find an answer you need.
1. What should I do before I Apply?
2. How to apply?
3. What are important steps I need to take when applying for an ECA?
4. Which Credentials IQAS does not assess?
5. Will IQAS assess my credential?
6. Can you confirm if my educational institution is recognized/accredited?
7. Which documents IQAS requires for my country of education?
8. What if I cannot provide Educational Documents required by IQAS?
9. What to do to ensure IQAS sends my assessment to professional licencing organization, post-secondary institution or employer?
10. How to submit my online application?
11. What to do if a daily application limit is reached for ECAs?
12. How can I confirm that my documents were delivered to IQAS?
13. Do I have to mail my printed and signed application?
14. Why my digital transcripts are not processed yet?
15. What is the processing time and how to find my application status?
16. My file is in “Final Review”. What does that mean and when will I receive it?
17. Why is it taking so long to hear back from IQAS?
18. Why are some of my educational credentials not assessed (not on my IQAS assessment)?
19. Why is the IQAS assessment result different than another assessment agency?
20. Can I get a refund for my ECA?

1. What should I do before I Apply?

Read the IQAS website. There are instructions on how to apply for an assessment.

If you need an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration, do not apply for the IQAS assessment for employment, education or licensure, as Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and Provincial Nominee Programs will not accept an assessment that is not an ECA.

IQAS accepts applications only through its online portal. To start the application process for employment, education, licensure, or immigration, you must first create an account.

2. How to apply?

Information is provided on IQAS' website at: How to Apply for immigration purposes and How to Apply for employment, education or licensure. Every applicant must follow the process outlined on the website – there are no exceptions.

3. What are important steps I need to take when applying for an ECA?

• Read carefully information on the IQAS website.
• Decide which credentials you want assessed – can only be completed or awarded formal academic and technical educational credentials from recognized institutions. Typically only your highest educational credential needs to be assessed for ECA.
• Gather needed documents and have them ready for when you apply online. You will need to upload copy of your educational certificate/degree, translations and passport identity pages. You will also need to make an online payment using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Debit or Interac.
• Read carefully information on Country-Specific Document Requirements posted on the IQAS website.
• Request transcripts from the institution that issued your credential. An institution can provide electronic transcripts to IQAS or mail paper transcripts.

4. Which Credentials IQAS does not assess?

IQAS assesses credentials obtained through formal academic education from accredited educational institutions.
IQAS does not assess:
• Anything below the secondary/high school level (for example primary/elementary level)
• Non-academic credentials and short courses (for example Microsoft Excel training)
• Professional qualifications (for example chartered accountant designation such as the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA))
• Vocational or trades training (for example diesel mechanics program)
• Sikkim Manipal University Distance Education
• Credentials obtained in Canada
• Provisional credentials (IQAS requires the final degree certificate; a letter from the issuing institution is not accepted)
• Incomplete credentials

5. Will IQAS assess my credentials?

IQAS cannot tell you if your if your education will be recognized before receiving and assessing your application. The required application materials must be carefully reviewed, researched and verified prior to a decision. There is no exception from this rule.

6. Can you confirm if my educational institution is recognized/accredited?

IQAS cannot tell you if your institution and program is recognized/accredited before assessment is completed. Applicants should check whether their institution is recognized/accredited by the overseeing authority in the home country (for example: Ministry of Education) before submitting an application.

7. Which documents IQAS requires for my country of education?

IQAS requires specific documents for different countries. Review "How to Apply" and "Country-Specific Document Requirements" for an application for immigration purposes. Review "How to Apply" for an application for employment, education or licensure. Refer to the documents listed under "Required documents by country" to find out which documents you will need.

8. What if I cannot provide Educational Documents required by IQAS?

In order to ensure the accuracy, integrity, and authenticity of assessments, IQAS has specific document requirements for countries. Please review the "Country-Specific Document Requirements" for an application for immigration purposes. For an application for employment, education or licensure, refer to the documents listed under "Required Documents by Country" to find out which documents you will need. If you cannot provide educational documents required by IQAS, you may wish to not apply or wait until you are able.

9. What to do to ensure IQAS sends my assessment to professional licencing organization, post-secondary institution or employer?

If you are applying to a professional regulatory organization post-secondary institution or need the assessment sent directly to an employer, you must order a duplicate certificate. The initial hardcopy of the assessment is mailed to the applicant.

fawazahmed0

Jul 20, 2022
10. How to submit my online application?

IQAS accepts applications only through its online portal. To start the application process for employment, education, licensure, or immigration, you must first create an account.
Review your application checklist in the portal carefully as it will guide you on what to upload and what to send by mail. Once you submit your online application, you cannot change your educational information. IQAS will review your official documents to validate and correct your credential information.

11. What to do if a daily application limit is reached for ECAs?

To maintain service standards, IQAS accepts a limited number of ECA applications each day. Once met, applications are not accepted until 8:15 AM (Mountain Time) the next day. Once the limit is reached, you are unable to make a payment. You can return to apply/pay the next day, or apply to another Designated Organization.

12. How can I confirm that my documents were delivered to IQAS?

Follow up with your courier service to confirm delivery of your supporting documents. IQAS will assess applications and required supporting documents in the order received. Once IQAS matches and processes all required documents for your application, the status of your application in the IQAS portal will be changed to “In line for processing” (documents needed to start your assessment have been received) or “Pending” (not all documents are received or processed).

13. Do I have to mail my printed and signed application?

Applicants who submitted an online application after November 5, 2019 are not required to mail in a signed application. You must still send supporting documents for your application type by mail or by means of electronic transcripts sent by educational institutions to IQAS via email or provided through organizations that provide verified electronic transcripts as a service (for example. Digitary).

Applicants who submitted an online application prior to November 5, 2019 must mail a signed application form and supporting documents to IQAS (by post or courier).
• Your reference number is your six-digit file number.
• Ensure that you provide all required documents as directed on the IQAS website.
Learn more about the supporting documents you need to send by visiting how to apply for an assessment for immigration or employment, education or licensure.

14. Why my digital transcripts are not processed yet?

Digital transcripts do take time to process; please do not email IQAS on the status of your application if your digital transcripts were provided within the last 15 business days. When IQAS receives transcripts, they still need to be matched and processed for the application. The IQAS Portal is the best source of information to view the status of your application.
To check the status of your application, please visit the IQAS application portal at: Application Portal.

15. What is the processing time and how to find my application status?

The processing time starts once all required documents are delivered to the IQAS office, opened and matched to your application. You will then see that your file is “In line for processing” status in the IQAS Portal. If your assessment is still within the processing time posted on the website at Processing Time (ECA for immigration purposes) or Processing Time (IQAS assessment for employment, education or licensure), please do not contact IQAS to check the status of your assessment as no more information than what is available in IQAS portal can be provided. Processing times are an estimate - not a guarantee. Processing times will change based on the number of applications received. The IQAS portal is the best source of information to view the status of your application.

16. My file is in “Final Review”. What does that mean and when will I receive it?

When your file is in “Final Review” status your credential has been assessed and is being validated and prepared to be mailed to you. IQAS does not provide an exact date for when you will receive your assessment. The status of your application may change soon from “Final Review” to “Mailed”. The “Mailed” status means the assessment was mailed to you. For an ECA, IQAS will send you an email confirmation advising you to view and print the scanned copy of your assessment certificate in the IQAS Client Portal.

17. Why is it taking so long to hear back from IQAS?

IQAS will not respond to your email if the requested information is available on the IQAS website and/or IQAS application portal. Please visit the website and/or application portal to see whether the information addresses your questions. For inquiries that require additional information, IQAS will respond as soon as possible. Currently we are experiencing a high volume of inquiries.

18. Why are some of my educational credentials not assessed (not on my IQAS assessment)?

On the IQAS website, you can find information about what IQAS will not assess. If for example you provided professional/vocational qualifications, credentials from unrecognized institutions, incomplete credentials, or education below secondary school level, IQAS will not include those on your assessment. With your assessment, IQAS provides an explanation of why one or some credentials were not assessed. Requests to re-assess qualifications/credentials that are not eligible for assessment will not result in a change to your assessment.

19. Why is the IQAS assessment result different than another assessment agency?

All assessment agencies in Canada are members of the national Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada and follow global standards for best practices when assessing credentials from other countries. However, assessment outcomes may sometime differ based on provincial educational frameworks and their most applicable educational credential comparisons. An IQAS assessment therefore may not have the exact same result as an assessment from another assessment agency.

20. Can I get a refund for my ECA?

Application and courier fees for ECA for immigration are non-refundable. If you cancel your application, IQAS will not provide a refund.

Other questions:
1. While filling the application, I see this option:
"Have you requested original documents for your credentials be sent directly to IQAS?"
What does this means?

If you are submitting your documents as stated at here , then choose yes option.

fawazahmed0

Jul 20, 2022
Information is provided on IQAS’ website at: How to Apply https://www.alberta.ca/iqas-immigration-apply.aspx for immigration purposes and How to Apply https://www.alberta.ca/iqas-employment-apply.aspx for employment, education or licensure. Every applicant must follow the process outlined on the website. Some countries require specific documents. Review “How to Apply” and “Country-Specific Document Requirements” for an application for immigration purposes. Review “How to Apply” for an application for employment, education or licensure. Refer to the documents listed under “Required documents by country” to find out which documents you will need.

IQAS accepts applications only through its online portal. To start the application process for immigrations, employment, education or licensure you must first create an account. You can start application process by visiting IQAS website.

To check the status of your application, visit the IQAS application portal at: Application Portal https://iqas.labour.alberta.ca/SignIn.

Before You Apply:
If you need an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration, do not apply for the IQAS assessment for employment, education or licensure, as Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and Provincial Nominee Programs will not accept your assessment without an ECA.
IQAS assesses credentials earned through formal academic education from accredited educational institutions. IQAS does not assess:
• Anything below the secondary/high school level (e.g. primary/elementary level)
• Non-academic credentials and short courses (e.g. Microsoft Excel training)
• Professional qualifications (e.g. chartered accountant designation such as ACCA)
• Vocational or trades training (e.g. diesel mechanics program)
• Sikkim Manipal University Distance Education
• Credentials obtained in Canada
• Provisional credentials (IQAS requires the final degree certificate; a letter from the issuing institution is not accepted)
• Incomplete credentials
IQAS cannot tell you if your application will be accepted, or if your education will be recognized before receiving and assessing your application. All required application materials must be carefully reviewed, researched and verified prior to a decision.

Daily Application Limits
To maintain service standards, IQAS accepts a limited number of applications each day. Once met, applications are not accepted until 8:15 AM (Mountain Time) the next day. Once the limit is reached, you are unable to make a payment. You can return to apply/pay the next day, or apply to another Designated Organization.

Review Application Checklist and Submitting Online Application
Review your application checklist in the portal carefully as it will guide you on what to upload and what to send by mail. Once you submit your online application, you cannot change your educational information. IQAS will review your official documents to validate and correct your credential information.