+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Investment Profession in Canada

Jan 10, 2018
Dear All,

I am 32 year old guy, CFA Charterholder, working in Dubai as an Investment Analyst with a tax free salary of about CAD$ 140k a year.

My question is to other CFA Charterholders or people from the Investment Profession; how is the job market and what are the salary levels for analysts with no Canadian Experience?

Thank you,
Sam

Reactions: TempResident

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
Dear All,

I am 32 year old guy, CFA Charterholder, working in Dubai as an Investment Analyst with a tax free salary of about CAD$ 140k a year.

My question is to other CFA Charterholders or people from the Investment Profession; how is the job market and what are the salary levels for analysts with no Canadian Experience?

Thank you,
Sam
I’m a CFA holder and CPA designated in Canada working for an Investment Bank in Canada too. The job market has high barriers to entry. Most banks prefer CPA or CBV designations than CFA because it is tailored to Canada’s business environment. But if you have substantial work experience you should be able to land in a job very easily. You’re probably not going to start with such a high salary because you don’t have Canadian Work Experience but will be for sure above average. And you will be paying A LOT on taxes. (Believe me, my tax deductions are crazy)

Reactions: sam_dxb_canada
Jan 10, 2018
I’m a CFA holder and CPA designated in Canada working for an Investment Bank in Canada too. The job market has high barriers to entry. Most banks prefer CPA or CBV designations than CFA because it is tailored to Canada’s business environment. But if you have substantial work experience you should be able to land in a job very easily. You’re probably not going to start with such a high salary because you don’t have Canadian Work Experience but will be for sure above average. And you will be paying A LOT on taxes. (Believe me, my tax deductions are crazy)
Thank you for the reply.

Based on my web research, I am assuming an above average salary will be around CAD$ 100k? Am I correct?
That will be post-tax salary of CAD$ 75k in Toronto.
Cost of living is roughly the same in Toronto as Dubai.
So effectively I will be making half of my current pay :confused:

That sounds scary!

What kind of salary do you think is achievable post 3-4 years of work experience in Canada? I understand that the range may be large as an Individual's performance can change the figure drastically. Just looking for a ballpark figure.

moonarch

Oct 31, 2015
Dear All,

Thank you,
Sam
See some other stance too.. ull be getting immigration there after few time..but in dubai u cant even after spend ur whole life...lifestyle security and best subsidized education opportunities for forthcoming family members too..Canada is investment too

Jan 10, 2018
See some other stance too.. ull be getting immigration there after few time..but in dubai u cant even after spend ur whole life...lifestyle security and best subsidized education opportunities for forthcoming family members too..Canada is investment too
I understand the points you are making, in fact those are the reasons why I am exploring Canada Immigration. However, I would like to make an informed decision after evaluating all pros and cons, so that there are "minimum" surprises :D

Appreciate your reply, thank you.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
I understand the points you are making, in fact those are the reasons why I am exploring Canada Immigration. However, I would like to make an informed decision after evaluating all pros and cons, so that there are "minimum" surprises :D

Appreciate your reply, thank you.
Keep doing your research and let us know what you come up with, please :).

I did some calculations for my own scenario and the take-home salary for a $100,000 basic salary in Toronto was around 70% of the actual salary, not 75%. (Of course, I went beyond the federal and provincial income tax deductions and also considered Canadian Pension Plan contributions, the Ontario Health Premium (rolled up into income tax I think), and the Employment Insurance Premium.) And, if you're an Investment professional, I suspect you'll have other sources of income outside of a basic salary that will have different taxation rates as well.

My research has shown that I'm probably going to be in a less advantageous financial position (compared to the one I'm in now) when I move to Toronto, but I'm not actually moving for economic reasons. Yes, I want to be financially comfortable, but I have other motivations for wanting to migrate to Canada (lifestyle, environment (safety, cleanliness, organization, modernity), culture, political environment, population diversity, access to persons with values more closely aligned with mine, more choices and opportunities, etc.). You can't put a price on some things :)

It's heartening to see someone else taking the time to research and make an informed decision. So many of my friends here who are trying to migrate to Canada now keep overlooking that crucial step, and focusing on the fact that they can make "4x in Canada what they're earning now" (really, it's only about 2x more, MAYBE 3x more, if they're lucky) without considering how much of that they'll actually get to take home, as well as the significant difference in cost of living.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on my web research, I am assuming an above average salary will be around CAD$ 100k? Am I correct?
Take-home will be between 71K and 72K after tax (not 75).

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
Thank you for the reply.

Cost of living is roughly the same in Toronto as Dubai.
So effectively I will be making half of my current pay :confused:

That sounds scary!

What kind of salary do you think is achievable post 3-4 years of work experience in Canada? I understand that the range may be large as an Individual's performance can change the figure drastically. Just looking for a ballpark figure.
Above average is between 90K-100K. For Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) purposes, you will be at tax bracket of 26% on 90K and above for Federal rate, but keep in mind you will ALSO have to pay taxes to the province you live in, say Ontario. The tax system in Canada is a progressive one. And yes, for a 100K salary a post-tax is around 70K-73K, but you also have deductions (before Net Income For Tax Purposes) or credits applied to your Taxable Income. For example, I make donations to non-profit-organizations so I receive a credit towards taxable income which reduces it $1 for $1. Since I studied in Canada, I'm carrying unused tuition amounts that are deductible and so on. However, no matter what credits or deductions you might have, your dollars earned in Canada are taxed at 26%. As it should be anyways since you are a high wage earner.

3-4 years of work experience it really depends on your performance and if you keep advancing your education. For example, the fact that you hold a CFA and have overseas work experience will get the job in Canada, but it will be way harder for you to advance in the corporate ladder if you don't pursue a Canadian designation or education.

As other fellow members said, there is much more about Canada as a country than an annual salary, bonus, and benefits. So I encourage to remain open-minded.

Regards,