+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Interview Call from canada

naveedkhan

Star Member
Apr 14, 2010
Hi,

I got interview call from a recruiter of a top firm from canada? I live outside canada. Should i expect further progress from the recruiter despite telling him the fact that i not entitled to work in canada. Do they provide work permit/sponsorship? Whats the procedure?

Need advice from expert people here.

Thanks

davecoops

Sep 13, 2010
Well I would assume they are interested, they can tell from your phone number that you are not located in Canada! Hate interviews over the phone though :p Much prefer face to face communication, somehow im better presenting myself then!

naveedkhan

Star Member
Apr 14, 2010
He asked me about my legal status of working in canada, i told me that i would need sponsorship/work permit. he told me that he would get back to me next week but it has been more than a week i have not heard any thing from him. Should expect some thing from him or not? he should atleast give reply in no or yes.

astasi

Champion Member
Jun 12, 2010
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-09-2014
Med's Request
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
30-07-2014
Passport Req..
16-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-06-2015
LANDED..........
22-07-2015
Hi Naveed,

If you have the contact details of the recruiter who called from Canada it would be not a bad idea to call them and find the status of your candidature. I totally agree with dave on telephonic interviews,but if you are looking for overseas jobs that is the first hurdle you would need to cross.

naveedkhan

Star Member
Apr 14, 2010
I called him regarding the progress of my interview, he told me that my application has been forwarded to top management after initial interview and he has no feed back form there since.

So i think i shall have to wait, no other options.

low

Star Member
Dec 31, 2009
I had the same experience when a recruiter called couple of weeks back. He was interested until he found out that I won't be back to Canada within the next 2 months or so as I need to serve notice with my current employer. The recruiter suggested that I contact them when I'm back in Canada to arrange for an interview as typically, there will be couple of rounds of interview before they finalize on the candidates. Due to this reason, I have stopped submitting my resume for now as it's quite difficult to get an interested party to interview over the phone.

low

Star Member
Dec 31, 2009
Hi Nicholas30

I'm a sales manager for a Dutch MNC company which is involve in logistics.

naveedkhan

Star Member
Apr 14, 2010
Hi,

So far no response from recruiters. I dont know whether they have dropped the idea of further interviews or there is delay from the management?

I am IT Auditor by profession.

Regards,

Naveed

astasi

Champion Member
Jun 12, 2010
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-09-2014
Med's Request
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
30-07-2014
Passport Req..
16-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-06-2015
LANDED..........
22-07-2015
Hi Naveed,

Any update from your recruiter......?

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
An important part of job searching in Canada is doing regular follow-up. The recruiter will likely see hundreds of resumes in any week, so it's customary to follow-up. This is the expected and necessary process for the Canadian job market.

You don't ask -- Did I get the job?, or Can I have an interview.

All you want to find out right now is "what stage are they at in the interview process?" This is an unobtrusive question and while important, it isn't being too pushy.

Your name needs to be top of mind with these recruiters -- so ensure you follow-up at least 1-2 times a month -- enquiring about new opportunites they may have available.

naveedkhan

Star Member
Apr 14, 2010
Well, what if recruiter does not reply you despite of loads of follow-up emails and telephonic calls. I think it is a prime responsibility of a recruiter to reply in yes or no to the candidates being interviewed on telephone. Ignorance by recruiter is the worse thing being faced by potential candidates. Its obvious that they are receive tons of CVs so its not possible to reply to every one but i think when you shortlist candidates for open positions, conduct initial interview and tell that whole process would take couple of weeks and then you disappear. which is i think the worst thing.

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't disagree, in the perfect world, and out of common courtesy, recruiters and even HR professionals that are actively recruiting should respond to individuals they've had phone interviews with. Some are actual very good at this and others for whatever reason, whether that be volume of work, or not, are not as good. As an HR professional, my advice would be if you've already left numerous phone calls and followed-up by email you now need to step back. I can guarantee you that when you're a top candidate recruiters and HR people will hunt you down and find you.

It can be very frustrating not to take it personally, but unfortunately it is 'sometimes' part of the process. I would let things go for a few weeks (they have your info) and then send another email in about 10-15 business days.

You have to be careful not to cross that fine line of being proactive and assertive (great qualities) to the point of being pushy and aggressive. You may need to use this recruiter again in the future and it's very important not to burn bridges.

At the end of the day you have to remind yourself, the recruiter is working for the hiring company and while we would expect professional business etiquette and courtesy, sometimes we have to be the bigger person and step back.