+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Interruption of Citizenship Process due to Unforeseen Circumstances

planet2

Sep 16, 2007
Hi all,

I have a unique situation. My Mom is in the process of finalizing her citizenship process. She recently passed her interview and was told to await the invitation to the citizenship oath ceremony (she is a senior, so she does not have to do tests). I understand, based on the stats from similar cohorts, that her oath ceremony will be somewhere in March-April of 2022.

Unfortunately, she needs to leave Canada to attend to a close relative who got seriously ill and can possibly die. She might leave within next two weeks or even sooner. Depending on his status, she may want to stay and take care of him.

I have the following questions:

1) Can her oath taking ceremony be moved to a closer date, given her circumstances?
2) If not, can she attend it while not physically in Canada (since it is going to be virtual anyway)?
3) If yes, can she receive her citizenship certificate without physically being here?
4) If the above is successful, can she apply for and receive her Canadian passport outside of Canada?

If circumstances allow, I will encourage her to come back to Canada for an oath taking ceremony. But I also want to consider other options. There has been so much effort invested in the whole process, that it would be terrible if the whole thing is a wasted effort :(.

Thank you.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi,

Sorry for this infortunate situation.

1) You can always contact IRCC regarding this situation. Urgent processing normally is linked to emergencies abroad when you cannot get a passport of your home country (see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html) but it's worth a shot.

2) No, oath ceremonies only take place in Canada.

3) Not applicable, but we can add that if she's in Canada for the ceremony, she can then leave before she gets her citizenship certificate. Someone can then send it to her...

4) If you have a citizenship certificate, you can apply for a passport anywhere on the planet. Check this for more details : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport/apply-how.html

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Sorry about your family situation.

From the scenario you describe, what I imagine is the possibility your mom will be called for the oath while she may be out of Canada. There is also the option of her requesting to postpone the oath until she is able to return to Canada (so long as she meets the PR residency obligation up to the oath), although I understand if you want to avoid this...just adding it as a possibility.

planet2

Sep 16, 2007
Thank you, Bellaluna and Seym, for your comments - they are much appreciated and in fact a beam of sunshine in the current situation.

planet2

Sep 16, 2007
Dear all,

Could you please recommend a phone number to call Immigration Canada ... the above links don't appear to provide any way to contact someone in person.

Thank you!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all,

Could you please recommend a phone number to call Immigration Canada ... the above links don't appear to provide any way to contact someone in person.

Thank you!!
You'll need to conctact the call centre. That's the only phone number available.

IRCC Call Centre (1-888-242-2100)

planet2

Sep 16, 2007
Hi all,

Would it be possible to apply for a passport within Canada and once it is ready, to send it outside the country?