+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Internship in Canada: Please help!

sapfan

Jul 16, 2009
I am currently a student in USA doing my Masters. As a part of a program I need to do an internship and I am interested in doing an internship in Canada.

However, I have few questions:

1. I am an international student in USA, I am originally from India and on F1 student visa.

2. I am allowed to work in USA on CPT(Curricular Practical Training) for 11 months.

3. If I get an offer from Candian company for an internship, is it technically feasible to be there as an intern?

Please reply if anyone knows answer to my query.

sapfan

Jul 16, 2009
Hello, thanks for the reply. But my question was is it technically possible for someone who is on F1 international student visa in USA to work as an intern in Canada. And if it is technically possible, how easy or hard it would be?

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
if you get a visa to work in Canada for an internship then you can go there and noone can stop you.

You have to see whether you can come back easily to the US (I don't know the rules for CPT's to come back to US).

sapfan

Jul 16, 2009
Thanks for reply, but how hard getting visa would be? as in suppose I want to start an internship in next 1 month, then is it practically possible to do so?

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
i dont know so will wait for someone else to answer this.

uwindsor

Jun 24, 2009
Here in Canada, you normally get work permit. Visa is just a document to help you enter the country. Work permit decides the length of your stay.

If you have an internship offer from a company in Canada, it is quite easy to get the visa. It takes around 20-25 days for the medicals, etc to be done.

sapfan

Jul 16, 2009
Thanks! so if I get an internship offer from a company in canda and say I get processed my visa in 25 days then after that in order to get work permit so I need to spend another month or so? or both work permit and visa can be processed simultaneously.

uwindsor

Jun 24, 2009
sapfan said:
Thanks! so if I get an internship offer from a company in canda and say I get processed my visa in 25 days then after that in order to get work permit so I need to spend another month or so? or both work permit and visa can be processed simultaneously.
After you get your visa, when you enter Canada, the officials at the port of entry give you ur work permit.. There is no additional time for work permit

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

uwindsor said:
sapfan said:
After you get your visa, when you enter Canada, the officials at the port of entry give you ur work permit.. There is no additional time for work permit
The chances that the OP is going to get an internship in Canada, without studying in Canada are pretty close to nil. I doubt that any employer is going to get an approved LMO from HRSDC for foreign student to take an internship in Canada.

PMM