+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Work Experience

bvcmoraes

Apr 25, 2017
Hi! I'm applying for my PR under EE-CEC since I'm currently living in Canada for over a year. I'm still creating my profile, and I have a question about my previous work experience.

I currently work in marketing, but my first work experience was in HR (for 11 months) in Brazil. Is that something I should include in my profile, even though it has different NOC (for HR is NOC A 1121, my current one is NOC A 1123). Also, I saw on the website that work experience while doing full-time studies is not valid, but is that only while studing in Canada or just overall studies? (My work experience was a full-time job, not an internship- even though I was still in university).

My second international experience was in Marketing for 1,5 years (also in Brazil). I want to include that in my profile, but I have contacted my previous boss to get the reference letter, but I still haven't heard from him- I'm not sure if he'll send it. Is it possible to use as proof of my work there the Tax return information they gave me, proof of monthly salary payment? Also in Brazil we have a booklet where employers put information about your job (initial and end date, salary, vacation time), would that also help me prove this? Does anyone have any experience in submitting documents to prove employment that is not this letter reference letter?

I don't think I actually need the points from the work experience, but I also don't want to look like I'm hiding my previous employment information. (When I had to fill my tax return here in Canada this year, they asked me to provide my income from the last 3 years, so in a way they "know" I've worked while in Brazil).

Thank you!!

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I currently work in marketing, but my first work experience was in HR (for 11 months) in Brazil. Is that something I should include in my profile, even though it has different NOC (for HR is NOC A 1121, my current one is NOC A 1123).
You CAN include it in your profile, and for the purpose of the CRS score, different jobs with different NOCs can be added together, yes. But if you do not need the points, there is no need to add complexity to your application.

Also, I saw on the website that work experience while doing full-time studies is not valid, but is that only while studing in Canada or just overall studies? (My work experience was a full-time job, not an internship- even though I was still in university).
Only while studying in Canada. Doesn't matter if outside Canada.

My second international experience was in Marketing for 1,5 years (also in Brazil). I want to include that in my profile, but I have contacted my previous boss to get the reference letter, but I still haven't heard from him- I'm not sure if he'll send it. Is it possible to use as proof of my work there the Tax return information they gave me, proof of monthly salary payment? Also in Brazil we have a booklet where employers put information about your job (initial and end date, salary, vacation time), would that also help me prove this?
Yes, you can (and should) use all of that (along with a letter of explanation about why you could not get the letter of reference), but the problem you will face is that you are still lacking your employer's testament about your job duties & responsibilities, meaning no proof of SKILLED work experience. You would also need to find some alternative proof of your job duties & responsibilities - a written job description, contract, letter from a former colleague or manager, for example.

Does anyone have any experience in submitting documents to prove employment that is not this letter reference letter?
Many do. Some succeed, some do not.

I don't think I actually need the points from the work experience, but I also don't want to look like I'm hiding my previous employment information. (When I had to fill my tax return here in Canada this year, they asked me to provide my income from the last 3 years, so in a way they "know" I've worked while in Brazil).

Not a concern on the profile, you can safely omit jobs if you want. Later, if you receive the ITA and complete the eAPR, then you have to disclose EVERYTHING.

bvcmoraes

Apr 25, 2017
Great! Thank you so much for your answer.

I don't really have a way to prove my duties or exactly what work I did there, just that I actually worked there. (The contract and job offer I got don't list the activities). I could get letters from colleagues, I'm just afraid that this will not be enough, and not having the letter from the employer will lead them to deny my application. If I omit this from my application now and only include it later after I receive the ITA and complete the eAPR, will I still need this letter or to prove the employment? Or can I just explain that I have past work experiences and that I did not include in my first application because my employer was unable to prove the letter?

So far, only listing my Canadian work experience, I have around 490 points, which based on the last draws, should be enough to get the ITA.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If I omit this from my application now and only include it later after I receive the ITA and complete the eAPR, will I still need this letter or to prove the employment?
No. You only need "proof of work experience" for the experience claimed in the profile.

Or can I just explain that I have past work experiences and that I did not include in my first application because my employer was unable to prove the letter?
No need to explain.

So far, only listing my Canadian work experience, I have around 490 points, which based on the last draws, should be enough to get the ITA.
You can safely omit those jobs from your profile.