16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
ananda.nyn said:
As everyone is talking about express Entry system, I have a basic question. Owing to so much uncertainties in EE system, cant we just apply the old fashioned way? The old paper application system which required 67 points?
No. Now, you have to qualify with the 67 points to get into the Express Entry system, then you have to get picked. If they let people just go through the 67 points, there would be no point to express entry.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
ananda.nyn said:
Can't I just apply for PNP, wait for a year, and apply through the old system?
No, but PNP will get you 600 extra points, if you can get it.

ananda.nyn said:
Even though it takes time, i can apply for a bridging work permit. Is that not safe for international students?
You can certainly apply, but the work permit and PNP application won't make you eligible. To get a BOWP, you need to be the principal applicant on an application for permanent residence (not PNP), and receive a positive eligibility assessment.

You would need to have your PNP letter, then apply for PR under Express Entry. If your work permit was going to expire between ITA and processing, you can apply for BOWP.

They made things harder January 1.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
ananda.nyn said:
As everyone is talking about express Entry system, I have a basic question. Owing to so much uncertainties in EE system, cant we just apply the old fashioned way? The old paper application system which required 67 points?

I am on a PGWP. I have a full time job offer as an electrical engineer (NOC Code A) and I did my masters degree here. Can't I just apply for PNP, wait for a year, and apply through the old system? Even though it takes time, i can apply for a bridging work permit. Is that not safe for international students?

Please let me know about this as I have to make a decision NOW to go for the EE PNP system or the older system. All your inputs are valuable!

Thank you
2 parts of your question

1. For CEC, FSW (Which I assume you are in?) and FST, No, you must go through Express entry. And EE is on top of FSW from before EE, so you must have 67 points in FSW system to qualify into the pool, and then high enough in EE-CRS points (varies) to be selected.
EE is not replacing anything, it's just one more hurdle in the way.

2. Depend on your province, PNP-EE streams might not be in place (I think as of now, only BC is giving nominations for EE)

Here if you choose to go thru PNP, You do have a choice, between EE and traditional paper application. The difference is time. I think BCPNP-EE stream is about 1-2 months from send in to nominate, then (As CIC promised) 6 months in CIC process. Old style PNP can take from 1.5 month to 9 month to get the nomination (depend on stream and province), then ~13-16 months in CIC's hand, depending on office. Huge timeframe difference.

IMO looking forward, the trend is most students will go thru PNP (EE or paper) as CEC-EE doesn't get a LMIA break, and that means your application is in the hands of others. (Remember EE is a competition system)

ananda.nyn

Mar 18, 2015
kateg said:
No. Now, you have to qualify with the 67 points to get into the Express Entry system, then you have to get picked. If they let people just go through the 67 points, there would be no point to express entry.
But check this link : cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-how.asp

As per that link, you get a Provincial nomination certificate. So I get this from BC PNP : welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/About-the-BC-PNP/Skills-Immigration/International-Graduates.aspx

The above PNP will not nominate me for EE. But in turn for the older system. I dont see why EE comes anywhere in the picture. The older system is get the CIC package, complete and send it away.

The above CIC link says that!

ananda.nyn

Mar 18, 2015
mf4361 said:
2 parts of your question

1. For CEC, FSW (Which I assume you are in?) and FST, No, you must go through Express entry. And EE is on top of FSW from before EE, so you must have 67 points in FSW system to qualify into the pool, and then high enough in EE-CRS points (varies) to be selected.
EE is not replacing anything, it's just one more hurdle in the way.

2. Depend on your province, PNP-EE streams might not be in place (I think as of now, only BC is giving nominations for EE)

Here if you choose to go thru PNP, You do have a choice, between EE and traditional paper application. The difference is time. I think BCPNP-EE stream is about 1-2 months from send in to nominate, then (As CIC promised) 6 months in CIC process. Old style PNP can take from 1.5 month to 9 month to get the nomination (depend on stream and province), then ~13-16 months in CIC's hand, depending on office. Huge timeframe difference.

IMO looking forward, the trend is most students will go thru PNP (EE or paper) as CEC-EE doesn't get a LMIA break, and that means your application is in the hands of others. (Remember EE is a competition system)
Right now BC PNP EE takes around 1-2 months. I will be eligible by this year september. If this years quota of BC provincial nominees are over, it will take more time to get the nomination right?

Lets say I get BC PNP EE in 6 months which implies I will be sitting in the EE pool by next year 2016 march/ april with close to 950 points. My work permit expires in feb 2017. Do you think i will get an ITA even though I have 950 points? I though it was a lottery even though you have high points. there is no guarantee to get an ITA right? Isn't it luck?

This is my understanding : Lets say there are 3000 people between 1000 points and 600 points. Out of that, its a random draw of say 1500 applicants. You have bad luck and dont get selected in each of those random draws regardless of how high your points are. The win loss ratio in a draw is 50:50. Am I wrong?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
It's not a lottery (even they call it a "Draw")

Everyone above the cutoff is going to be selected. So say the coming 6th draw has a cut off 450 points, everyone above or at 450 will get ITA. But the invitation numbers per draw is not fixed and is at discretion of CIC so it is like lottery.

If you have 950 pts thats very much a guarantee ITA and you should start preparing documents now.

If the quota is done before the year ends, you will need to wait for quotas next year.

stephyclare

Mar 23, 2015
kateg said:
Are you applying for FSW or CEC? With CEC, work during studies does not count towards the requirements. This makes a certain degree of sense. If a student could have a part-time job (over two years), they wouldn't need to graduate, as they would have more than one year of experience.
Thank you @kateg. I do have a part-time job for more than three years now but when i applied for the express entry they said i am not eligible.

ananda.nyn

Mar 18, 2015
mf4361 said:
It's not a lottery (even they call it a "Draw")

Everyone above the cutoff is going to be selected. So say the coming 6th draw has a cut off 450 points, everyone above or at 450 will get ITA. But the invitation numbers per draw is not fixed and is at discretion of CIC so it is like lottery.

If you have 950 pts thats very much a guarantee ITA and you should start preparing documents now.

If the quota is done before the year ends, you will need to wait for quotas next year.
That was helpful mf4361... Thank you.. that cleared a lot of doubts in my head. I am waiting for one year canadian experience. I can create a profile number only this september. After that I apply for provincial nomination which i assume would take 6 months. I will have 950 points only next year march/april. Any idea what the yearly quota is? I am guessing i will be fine if I apply by march/april next year with 950 points. My work permit expires by feb 2017.

Jaiveer Singh

Aug 22, 2013
Delhi
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One question
I have applied PGWp and i am doing job in NOc 0 i.e. 0621 noc
Work permit is in processing so my this experience will count or not? I mean i am on implied status so will this count in CEC