erwinjohn997

Nov 4, 2014
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
waiting..
Hi I am an international student here in Canada and I just want to ask some question and I hope someone can help me out.

I submitted my OWP and PR last december and the 4 month rule has been passed. I am wondering if I can still work since I gonna stop studying for the following semester? is tthat an implied status? FYI, my status and permit is valid till 2017.

as what I know, If I will stop studying I should stop workingg as well. but I already send mg oWP application

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It is taking 4 to 5 months to get the OWP with an inland PR application, on average. Wait a bit.

erwinjohn997

Nov 4, 2014
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
waiting..
canadianwoman said:
It is taking 4 to 5 months to get the OWP with an inland PR application, on average. Wait a bit.

but if I will stop studying next semester can I still continue working while waiting for the OWP?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can work on your study permit, right? I think it is safe to work during the summer holidays, as long as your school doesn't know you won't be studying there in the fall. The answer to whether you get a OWP should come soon, so up until then it should be OK to work on your study permit just as a normal foreign student could.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you can continue work on/off Campus during the semester and summer.

if you don't receive OWP until next semester and you do not register fall semester, you need to stop working.

You should let your school and your CIC account know that you would not register next term.

don't think your study permit would not validate, if you drop out school.

erwinjohn997

Nov 4, 2014
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
waiting..
floomy said:
you can continue work on/off Campus during the semester and summer.

if you don't receive OWP until next semester and you do not register fall semester, you need to stop working.

You should let your school and your CIC account know that you would not register next term.

don't think your study permit would not validate, if you drop out school.

The problem is I don't have summer vacation :( the next semester will start on May 3rd soI don't know what to do now :( I am waiting for my OWP and I am still hoping that this permit will come thos month or else I need to stop studying and working :(

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
erwinjohn997 said:
The problem is I don't have summer vacation :( the next semester will start on May 3rd soI don't know what to do now :( I am waiting for my OWP and I am still hoping that this permit will come thos month or else I need to stop studying and working :(
You got AOR correct? Then you should be ok for implied status(as a visitor, not for working), but if you don't get your permit within the next couple weeks you might want to apply to "change conditions or extend your stay as a visitor" before you quit school, just to be safe.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
don't think, May to Aug (spring semester) count as regular semester.

you can work .

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and
work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

you can asks international centre at your school just to make sure.

Bublikova

Apr 12, 2016
Hi, I hope this is a right thread to write about my situation.
I applied for pro and OWP together and sent the app 11.04.16.
My study permit will expire in August 2016.
I will graduate in two weeks so I will the the official transcript from college.
Should I apply for a Post grad work permit just in case if I won't get OWP till my visa expired?
Or should I wait till the last minute?

marrynated

Star Member
Dec 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

I am in similar situation: My study permit is expiring by end of this April 2017. I don't think I can graduate from university (studying masters). My application for Spousal PR and OWP is almost complete.

I was wondering what happened to your application? Did you apply inland? How long did it take?

Also, in checklist of OWP, it says if I am student. Should I checkmark it? I don't want to, because then I'd have to include a letter from university as a proof of academic standing... I have not attended university for a few terms now because I couldn't afford to pay tuition fee. I have finished all courses and just thesis is remaining but I wouldn't be able to finish it on time before expiry date of my study permit and to be honest, for now, I don't want to continue studying.

Please let me know about your scenario and how you handled it. Thanks