+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student trying to immigrate

wayneyau1214

Sep 27, 2012
Here's a rough idea of my plan.
I am applying for an accounting graduate school in Canada (hoping that it's going to be U of T) in order to become a CA and work there. Assuming I DO get accepted into the graduate programs, AND that I pass the UFE...

1. What are my chances of obtaining permanent residency?
2. How long would it take to obtain permanent residency?

Thanks,
Wayne

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your best bet is Canadian Experience Class.

You'll first have to finish your degree. Once you finish your degree, you'll need to work for at least one year in a full-time skilled occupation. You will then qualify to apply for PR through Canadian Experience Class. I believe processing times for CEC are around a year and a half right now.

So:

Time it takes to complete your degree + time it takes to get one year of full time experience + 1.5 years PR application processing time = approximately the amount of time it will take you to get PR.

More information about CEC here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp

wayneyau1214

Sep 27, 2012
Thanks, that was helpful! Is there any way I could find out the chances of accounting graduates finding a job in Canada?

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
wayneyau1214 said:
Thanks, that was helpful! Is there any way I could find out the chances of accounting graduates finding a job in Canada?

IF you wanna do CA it kinda sucks you have to go through articling for 3 yrs (sucks ass, had to do it). That limits where you can work as only a handful of firms are authorized for that and the competition (esp since 2008 economy collapse) is fierce.

For a big 4 firm in a major city looking to hire about 30 students for the fall, they have to go through like 2000 applications!! They toss out all the ones from crap schools and any student with low gpa. It's very tough. So you gotta go to the best school and get best marks. Articling itself is nothing you do nothing special, a high school student could do it, they just make it look glamorous. Many time you do nothing , just watch YouTube.

Also articling students are first to be let go when budgets are tight, they randomly lay people off. Most articling kids spend their time sucking up to managers and ordering meals/ getting coffee etc.. it's crap lol.

Better to work in industry and get some real experience. Go for CMA. But overall economy is shitty in the accounting field.

wayneyau1214

Sep 27, 2012
Really? is it that bad in the accounting field? I thought accounting had a better bet getting a job than most other jobs, since there's always need for them. By "articling" do you mean the work experience you have to get before you become licensed?
What about CMA's how's the job market for them?