+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student travel during post graduate work permit and more. PLz help

Northamerican

Jul 18, 2010
Hi

I am an international student here in Ontario. I have finished my graduation and applied for PGWP. Its taking longer than usual and I wanted to know if I can travel during this time and come back from my country after one and a half month. I am from a country that requires TRV to enter Canada,

here is my case:

I have my both student permit and student visa valid until 2012. My question is can I re-enter on the basis of these 2 documents or they will question my intention ( like in case they may tell, you are done with ur graduation ,,,then y r u coming back..)

If i say i applied for PGWP, what if they want to c it?? will they deny entry ??

Can I go to usa ?? I heard that one can go to usa even if the TRV is expired !!

one more question is can I study when on PGWP??

Pls help...thanks!

Kamloops

Star Member
Mar 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2013
AOR Received.
July 2013
File Transfer...
July 2013
Med's Request
May 12, 2014, re-medical
Med's Done....
June 2013
Passport Req..
May 12, 2014 and Status Changed to "In Process"
VISA ISSUED...
Passport sent via VFS on 14 Jun 2014
Hi,

I was an int'l student for 9 years in Canada and got lately my residence. I went through your situation. Unless there is a family emergency you should not travel outside Canada and USA until you receive your new work permit. The best idea is to confirm this with the CIC agent (phone # is in your permit) and wrote down the agent ID and date.

As for traveling to the USA, you can travel as many as you want. Try avoiding airplanes or any commercial career. The Canadian authority may keep track your travel information.

You can go to the USA without your TRV. The US agents want you to show your study permit. They never want to see your TRV.

Rent a car or drive your own car when traveling to the USA. At the Canadian side, there is no immigration tracking. Just show your TRV or study permit when returning to Canada. In April I showed them my driver's licence and got into Canada, as my passport and study permit were in my car trunk.

Make sure you have a valid passport, a US visa and your study permit and you travel by your own/rented/or friend's car.

I hope this helps.

Northamerican

Jul 18, 2010
Thanks a million for ur kind reply. But a few things r still not clear. If I am not mistaken , ur advice is not to go to other countries but I can go to us? and I dont get what difference will it make if i go in a private car/commercial vehicle!! another question : how did u get into canada with just ur drivers lisence ?? ( I think thats what u did after u became a PR/citizen right?)

overall, I think I can go to usa without any problem right??

Kamloops

Star Member
Mar 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2013
AOR Received.
July 2013
File Transfer...
July 2013
Med's Request
May 12, 2014, re-medical
Med's Done....
June 2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
I had to renew my study/work permits 3 times in 9 years. When I spoke to CIC agents, I was told not to travel outside Canada when my application was in process. The reason was my permits would expire and they would take weeks to process my application.

I just realized I mixed up my renewal case with your post-grad work permit. You are fine to travel, because you have valid documents that will not expire before you return to Canada.

When you fly from Canada, your travel information is collected by commercial carriers for many reasons- insurance, customs and immigration. If you are told not go outside Canada, you will be in trouble sometime later.

When you go to USA by your car, the US agent will want to see your study/work permit and keep track your entry information. When you return to Canada, the gentle Canadian agent will ask why you went to USA, what's your shopping worth. And they will just look at your passport and permit and let you in less than a minute. Thiis is when you drive or you are in somebody's car. I do not know what will happen if you travel by bus or train.

A few months ago, when I was returning to Canada from USA, my passport and study permit were in my car trunk. The officer asked about my status in Canada and saw I was the only one driving my own car registered in Ontario. I wanted to get my papers from my trunk. But the officer did not want me to get off the car and she simply let me in to Canada. Maybe the officer trusted me :).

When you travel to USA by your car, you will note there is NO immigration at the Canadian side.

Northamerican

Jul 18, 2010
Thanks a lot again. One more thing I would like to know is , for how many days do they normally admit one to the country?? For example I will be going to Ny for 4 days...does that mean they will admit me only for 4 days? ( after which I have to leave the country)

Pls reply because u hv travelled many times. I hope to hear from u. thanks again.God bles.

Kamloops

Star Member
Mar 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2013
AOR Received.
July 2013
File Transfer...
July 2013
Med's Request
May 12, 2014, re-medical
Med's Done....
June 2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
I am assuming you have a US visa (visitor) that is valid for at least 4 years. Once you get into the USA, you have to pay a $6 fee for an I-94, which allows you to remain in the USA for 6 months. As you plan to stay in NY for 4 days, you are fine. A few things for you to note.

1) you can reenter the USA as many time as you want within 6 months. You do NOT have to pay the $6 fee for another I-94.

2) If you wish to stay longer than 6 months, possibly you have to reenter and and get a new I-94.

3) You MUST submit your I-94 to a Canadian authority before it expires. If not, you will be in trouble when visiting the USA next time. My suggestion is you don't submit your I-94 this time when you return to Canada, because your trip is only for 4 days. You may wish to travel again in the next 6 months. To submit your I-94, you do not necessarily have to give it to the authority at the Canadian border. You can give your I-94 to the Canadian authority at any Canadian international airport. Just make sure it is done before the expiry date.

Confirm 1) and 2) with the US agent and 3) with the Canadian authority at the crossing for your peace of mind. :)

Northamerican

Jul 18, 2010
omg..this truly helps....i dont know how to thank u for all valuable info..if u r in Ontario.have a cup of coffee wid me once I am back to canada :D

Btw how do I contact the Us agent? I have the cic number but not the other one....and is it like cic? do we call 'em up ??

thanks again & regards!

Northamerican

Jul 18, 2010
and is it always 6 month? i thout it was their decision to grant the number of days.... i thot they could even limit it to 5 days or even 1 week!! but then I may not be correct !!

Kamloops

Star Member
Mar 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2013
AOR Received.
July 2013
File Transfer...
July 2013
Med's Request
May 12, 2014, re-medical
Med's Done....
June 2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
You are very welcome my friend. I live close to the Toronto airport. The US authority always issues an I-94 for 6 months for foreign nationalities other than Canadians and possibly Mexicans. Since we don't have Canadian citizenship, we always have to undergo the I-94.

My first trip was for 5 hours in August, just went to Buffalo for shopping. I used the same I-94 again two weeks later. Then handed that in to the Canadian authority at the Toronto airport in February. I didn't need to drive all the way to Niagara.

I don't think you would be able to speak to the US authority over the phone. You can obtain the information mentioned in my last reply right at the crossing.

In reposne to one of your previous questions, you are NOT allowed to study when you have your post grad work permit. My permit says NOT to, unless authorized. So when you receive the permit, carefully read the conditions in it. Your case may be different.

By the way, where are you originally from? I am from Bangladesh.

Northamerican

Jul 18, 2010
;) thanks bhaia..hahahahah amio bangladeshi.. :eek: .( originally feni) hahahah...really nice to hear from you. I am planning to go to Ny on this friday and your information was really helpful. Ami onek tension e chilam eta nie karon ekhon tho amar graduation shesh...tho ora jodi bole je tumi keno abar canada'i ashtteso ..karon apni tho janen ekta international student kintu commited ei desh charar jonno ..once he completes his education.. !!

apnar info onek help korse bhaia....god bles u....

thanks ...