+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student to Permanent Resident

IPreferCats

Nov 30, 2017
Hi, I just got married to a Canadian citizen and we decided since I want to go to university there anyway, it'd be quickest if I got a student visa while my permanent residency application is pending (the plan is for me to start in the fall). My question is, what happens if I get it during the semester? It doesn't really bother me (we're doing really well paying off the wedding) but my husband (because he's Canadian) thinks the fees are ridiculous. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: sehajpreet singh

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You would speak to the university once you have PR so that your fees can be reduced. Generally speaking, the university won't refund any tuition fees you have already paid. But future tuition fees will be paid at the domestic rather than international level.

Note that it can be difficult to obtain a study permit once you are married to a Canadian since CIC sometimes suspects individuals are genuine students but are instead trying to find a way to move to Canada early. I would recommend you submit the PR sponsorship application as soon as you can.

IPreferCats

Nov 30, 2017
Oh, I'll have a hard time with both. I was going to move last year for school but I didn't have the money. We pushed our marriage up because we're tired of living so far apart and it'll mean less paperwork later so I'll have to provide a mountain of paperwork that one application isn't a pretense for the other. It'll be fun. Thanks for the explanation!