+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student paid by E transfer

Tishapatel

Aug 5, 2024
Hey guys,
I worked full-time on student visa . I have not been on any contract with my employer and it was on a verbal basis. My boss paid me well enough on E-transfer, and no taxes are cut he pay me full amount and still I am student and in my summer break. So is there any issue by working like this or can I work like this ? please somebody help me what I should do and I need to pay tax afterwards?

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hey guys,
I worked full-time on student visa . I have not been on any contract with my employer and it was on a verbal basis. My boss paid me well enough on E-transfer, and no taxes are cut he pay me full amount and still I am student and in my summer break. So is there any issue by working like this or can I work like this ? please somebody help me what I should do and I need to pay tax afterwards?
You are working illegally and by paying taxes you will be exposing yourself and your employer to IRCC. By not paying taxes, you are committing tax fraud. In a nutshell, you and your employer are committing immigration and tax fraud which is considered serious.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/compliance/combat-tax-crimes.html

Would anything happen? Probably not.

Last edited:

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Means I am working on sin then also it considered as illegal

I am working on sin then also it considers illegal
What do you mean? Your employer should deduct taxes unless you are working as an independent contractor. If you are a contractor, you report and pay taxes. It really shouldn't be much if you are a student. Also, you are allowed full-time work during scheduled breaks.

Radmin

Jul 17, 2024
Just a heads up i worked full time for 6 months as self-employed in IT, reported this income at 38k total and got hit with a 9k owing to the CRA.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Just a heads up i worked full time for 6 months as self-employed in IT, reported this income at 38k total and got hit with a 9k owing to the CRA.
Assuming OP is working a minimum wage job, their tax burden will be zero to none. If they are actually a full-time student, they will very likely get a refund too.