+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

intermediate health insurance - urgent

fujisan08

Jul 7, 2008
Hi everyone, I am an international student in Ontario and just graduated with my degree; as of now, I'm unemployed, and looking for a job. My graduation ceremony is in October 2008 and my study visa expires end of July 2009. Right now, I don't have UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) since I've graduated obviously; however, I have been diagnosed with a potentially serious problem and given that I plan to stay in Canada at least until spring next year, I am looking for private health insurance. Does anyone know of any good private health insurers and what the premiums are? I also considered applying for a course at my uni so I could have access to UHIP; however, paying for the course and the premium comes to over $2000 so it's a bit expensive. Any suggestions will very appreciated.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fujisan08 said:
Hi everyone, I am an international student in Ontario and just graduated with my degree; as of now, I'm unemployed, and looking for a job. My graduation ceremony is in October 2008 and my study visa expires end of July 2009. Right now, I don't have UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) since I've graduated obviously; however, I have been diagnosed with a potentially serious problem and given that I plan to stay in Canada at least until spring next year, I am looking for private health insurance. Does anyone know of any good private health insurers and what the premiums are? I also considered applying for a course at my uni so I could have access to UHIP; however, paying for the course and the premium comes to over $2000 so it's a bit expensive. Any suggestions will very appreciated.
I don't think that you will be able to find a health insurance that will cover a pre-exsisting condition.

PMM

fujisan08

Jul 7, 2008
Hi PMM, I was just diagnosed with this two days ago (my UHIP is valid until the end of this month and then expires). Will I still not be able to find an insurer?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fujisan08 said:
Hi PMM, I was just diagnosed with this two days ago (my UHIP is valid until the end of this month and then expires). Will I still not be able to find an insurer?
As the diagnosis has already been done, it is now a pre-existing condition. No insurance company is going to insure a person where the treatment will probably cost more than the insurance policy payment.

PMM

fujisan08

Jul 7, 2008
okay, but I need a general insurance policy too right as I am no longer under UHIP after this month. Do you know of any good private insurers in Ontario??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So you are not covered by OHIP? I have always been covered by some provincial plan, don't even know anybody who had to buy full private covereage but I know some ppl who have blue cross for supplemental insurance and are happy with it.

http://www.settlement.org/sys/library_detail.asp?doc_id=1003775 might help?

madraida

Sep 12, 2008
Are provincial health care rules different in Ontario.

I'm an international student in BC and I have a provincial health care plan (BCMSP). That is in addition to the Health & Dental Care Plan I get through the University (specifically, through the Graduate Student Society). In BC, being enrolled in BCMSP was a requirement unless I can show a health care plan from my country that is considered equivalent to BCMSP.

Are you sure you don't have OHIP?
I thought a provincial health care plan is required for all Canadian (not necessarily citizens) residents.

EDIT:
I learn something new everyday.
Yes, it's true. International students are not eligible for OHIP (http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ohip/ohip_mn.html). I'm so glad I chose BC!

To the OP, You'll have to call the insurance companies and ask them about pre-existing conditions.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ontario also doesn't cover spouses of temporary workers because they have an open work permit. To be covered, the temporary worker has to have a work permit tied to an Ontario employer. I guess they are very strict over there.