Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Kiwiz said:
Also one more thing-

To change my status from worker to tourist/visitor- can I do that just by crossing the border and re entering as a visitor ? or can I do it online?
you can do either. Online has to be done preferably 30 days before the expiry of your current visa, but in a way it's more "secure" because you send it in, and as long as you don't have the answer, you're allowed to stay in Canada (it's implied status. You can't work, but you can stay here). You can also go to the border, there is always a risk that the border officer for a reason or another decides not to let you in, but in your case, it's highly unlikely - you're from a visa-exempt, and you will have a PR application going on, so it should be fine.

But - if you prepare everything and send it soon ( let's say in a month), it's highly possible that you will get your PR before October (provided that you are within the criteria of having lived with your partner for 12 months and able to prove it etc).

Good luck!
Sweden

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Kiwiz said:
I thought with the inland way the implied status meant I could still work.
that would be true with another type of work permit, but not with IEC as yours is not extendable, hence it doesn't qualify for implied status and keeping on working.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Kiwiz said:
I have heard outland is much faster. But I though since I am living here and have been for 6 months woith my partner, that i need to apply inland? Is it still legal to do an outland application? Do we still state on it that we are living here in Canada together?
Just to clarify, if you read the inland guide, it actually recommends for people to apply outland to take advantage of the faster processing times (and reduce the inland backlog): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp

The family class is aimed at faster processing of spouse or common‑law partner applications from applicants outside Canada.

Processing times for spouses or common‑law partners in Canada are generally longer.

The person being sponsored can apply to a visa office outside Canada to take advantage of the family class processing standard. Processing times for applications processed in Canada are posted on our Web site.

For people with visa offices that have fast processing times (like yours), in any straightforward (no red flags expected) case its recommended to do outland.

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
So I just got through to CIC- and apparently with the outland application, I can still extend my IEC and work by filling in the "change your conditions or extend your stay as a worker" application. As long as it's done at least 2 months before the visa expires, as the processing time is about 2months.

If anyone is trying to get through to CIC, it's very hard to speak to an operator- but I have found a way.
1-888-242-2100
hit 1 for first option (english)
then 1 again, then 1 again. then 0. 0 is not an option provided but it will get you through to an operator.:)

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
CIC help to get through when calling

Kiwiz said:
So I just got through to CIC- and apparently with the outland application, I can still extend my IEC and work by filling in the "change your conditions or extend your stay as a worker" application. As long as it's done at least 2 months before the visa expires, as the processing time is about 2months.

If anyone is trying to get through to CIC, it's very hard to speak to an operator- but I have found a way.
1-888-242-2100
hit 1 for first option (english)
then 1 again, then 1 again. then 0. 0 is not an option provided but it will get you through to an operator.:)

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Kiwiz said:
I hope for you that it's true - not all IEC are the same as some are extendable, and some aren't. I would double check the information before doing it - see the other post that I referred you to. He filed an extension for an IEC visa 2 months in advance, and kept on working, then was served with a letter from CIC telling him that the extension has been denied, and he had to leave the country by a certain date - because he had been working illegally all that time.
Sweden

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
It's an application for a regular work permit, not through IEC.

If my employer fills out a labour market opinion form from Canadian human resources and social development then I am granted a regular work permit which will tie me over until my PR comes through. (which in my case it may be through before my IEC visa expires anyway, but just in case.)

I have spoken to two agents at CIC and they both said the same thing. (both said I can not extend the IEC visa) I explained my situation- waiting on Outland common-law sponsorship application to approve my PR, my IEC NZ visa expires in October- how can I continue to legally work in Canada in between?

I have never heard of such a thing before, but have been emailed the info from them, so will look into it more now.