+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INQUIRY: May 2016 AOR, Post-grad WP expiring real soon...

IvC

Oct 6, 2016
Hi there,

I was invited to apply through the Express Entry - Canadian Experience Class for my PR.
I received my AOR in May 2016.

In June 2016, I received IRCC's request for my background check, so I did my background check which includes the finger-print check and uploaded it.

That was around end of June 2016 when I uploaded my background check. I have not heard back from IRCC since then, except for a "bug/glitch" email that I received on September 2016 saying that I have an update on my CIC profile but there was nothing updated.

The biggest worry I have right now is that my Post-Graduate Work Permit is expiring in the End of October 2016.
I was told by the call center agent to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP).

My question is, since I have a stable full-time job (and a very supportive manager), am I able to apply for a Work Permit that could extend my status in Canada? My Post-grad work permit is an Open work permit, but I was wondering if I could apply for a Work Permit with my Employer's name on it? If so, how do I go about that please?

Update - 2:45PM Oct. 6, 2016: I now know that applying for a Work Permit with the LMIA is another option for me. However, as you all may know, getting an LMIA is quite a complicated process. Although my employer have posted the advertisement a few months back, I will need some sort of confirmation letter from the LMIA office saying that the application is in process, so that I can submit that along with my Work Permit application.

As well, at this point, should my Employer apply for the LMIA under "Permanent Residence application" or under "Work Permit" for me? The latter would require a fee of $1,000. But I'm not sure which application category is the one for me..

Below is an overview of my profile status:

Application/profile status: Open
Review of eligibility: Review in Progress
Review of medical results: Passed
Review of submitted documents: Provided
Scheduling an interview: Not needed at this time
A background check is needed: In Progress
Final decision: Not Started

I was hoping to see if anyone on here would be able to speak by experience.
Any help or suggestion is much appreciated, thank you for your time in reading my post.

Thank you.

Tom1144

Oct 6, 2016
I'm in almost exactly the same situation with the same timeline. See my post from earlier today called "R10 Completeness Check Wait Times?"

That also means I can't offer any answers, but I'll be interested to see what anyone else says...

sammy1976

Star Member
Aug 29, 2016
Edmonton AB
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-216
Doc's Request.
Schedule A, 17/sep/2016
Nomination.....
N / A
AOR Received.
31-08-2016
IELTS Request
Submitted with File
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Request
Upfront / 30-08-2016
Med's Done....
16-09-2016 / Passed
Interview........
not needed yet
Passport Req..
Dec 19, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 9, 2017
LANDED..........
INLAND
You people should apply for bridge open work permit as soon as you received AOR you can eligible for have one

IvC

Oct 6, 2016
sammy1976 said:
You people should apply for bridge open work permit as soon as you received AOR you can eligible for have one
Hi there, I will be applying for my BOWP soon.
But what's holding me up was because I could also apply for a new Work Permit using LMIA which would be a better option, IF (touch wood) my Express Entry application does not get approved. That way, I could still have time (because of the new work permit) to apply another time for the Express Entry.

With BOWP, the duration of the BOWP will only lasts up until a final decision is made on my current Express Entry application, correct?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, from my perspective, this is how I'm evaluating my situation and options.

Thank you.

aneelkanth

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto
I fail to understand why people do not apply for a BOWP even 3-4 months after AOR.

This is why one should opt to pay a consultant if they are not sure about the process.

The BOWP is approved irrespective of your job and/or PR application timeline.