+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

inquiry about post graduate work permit ...

Amaka

Nov 3, 2014
Hey guys,

after I graduated from my two year program at college I was told by the international office that I'm eligible for a three years post graduate work permit. When I applied I got the new work permit but since my passport expires in march 2015, they gave me just a 20 months permit. I ask about it and I was told that I can apply for the rest of the period as soon as I get a new passport. Now I have a new passport and I want to apply to extend my permit and get the rest of time I'm eligible for.

have any of you had such experience or know how to reapply for the rest of the work permit?

Thank you kindly Smiley

amarecharla

Oct 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-02-2015
Amaka said:
Hey guys,

after I graduated from my two year program at college I was told by the international office that I'm eligible for a three years post graduate work permit. When I applied I got the new work permit but since my passport expires in march 2015, they gave me just a 20 months permit. I ask about it and I was told that I can apply for the rest of the period as soon as I get a new passport. Now I have a new passport and I want to apply to extend my permit and get the rest of time I'm eligible for.

have any of you had such experience or know how to reapply for the rest of the work permit?

Thank you kindly Smiley
When u apply online for the WP, there will be a space for you to explain why u r claiming the WP.....u can explain there.

bimbim

Star Member
Jun 2, 2013
Hey Amaka,

I am also in the same situation. I called CIC and below was there response. Meanwhile, you will have to do a paper application for this renewal.

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Post-graduation work permit validity - Passport will soon expire
As a rule, immigration documents are issued according to the validity period of the applicant's passport. This means that the validity period of a work permit cannot exceed the passport expiry date. However, if you are entitled to a 3 year post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and your passport will expire before the end of the 3 year period, the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Vegreville, will allow you to apply for a PGWP extension with your newly extended passport on or before the expiry date of your authorized stay. The CPC may extend your stay for the remaining duration of the 3 year period.
Once your passport renewed, you will have to apply for a PGWP extension. To do so you must send an application to change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker to the CPC in Vegreville, Alberta. The application is available on our website. You can fill out the application online and print it or print it and fill it out by hand.

You can find instruction you need to apply using this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
I hope this helps. Cheers

bimbim

Star Member
Jun 2, 2013
Absolutely! The fee is about $150 if i'm not mistaken. You will pay online, print the receipt and include it in your application to be mailed to them.