+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland VS Outland

jezzicaaaaa

May 18, 2016
Hello ;),

My husband and I want to live here together in Canada. I am Taiwanese and he is Canadian. We recently just got married here in Ontario and decided that we wanted to start life here fresh, however looking at the immigration process is daunting.

As I am Taiwanese, I do have a visa exempt for up to 6 months. My goal is to get a job as soon as possible here, so I can start building my career and make some earnings for my family, however we also want to assure that there are no problems with my application, and risk not being approved.

My questions are: If we decide to sponsor under the inland class, would we be keeping my legal status in Canada via 'Visa-Run', would this have any effect on our application? Or would we be constantly applying for extensions over the application period? I have an exit flight for this month and I'm hoping to be back as soon as possible, but we are wondering what kind of flight should I purchase.

If we decide to go outland class, and they happen to request an "interview", do I need to fly back to my country or can it be done here in Canada as well? But if we apply for the outland class, I can't apply for the OWP but the process will be shorter right?

Any advice and or experience on this would be appreciated as we are trying to plan out the next few months with the least economic cost. We really just want me to be able to come here as soon as possible and start working.

Regards! ;D

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
If you apply Inland AND submit an application for OWP at the same time, you would not need to do anything more to maintain legal status.

If you apply Outland, you can submit an application online to extend your visitor status when you are close to the end of your 6 months. It costs $100, is quite simple to do, and you are not likely to be refused.

If you apply Outland and they request an interview, you must go to Taiwan for the interview. There are no exceptions. However, the likelihood of that happening is very small, if you submit a "strong" application with no red flags and good relationship proof.

If you apply Inland, you will get OWP after 4 months or so, but you will wait for your PR for 2+ years, and it would be best not to leave Canada for any reason at this time. (Because if for any reason you are denied re-entry (CBSA officer could be having a bad day... happens.) your application is cancelled because you are no longer IN Canada.)

If you apply Outland, it will probably be longer than 4 months for you to get PR, but not much longer. If you are very unlucky, you might wait 11 months total for PR. Most people (80%) get PR much sooner, maybe 6 or 8 months - I don't know the current trends; you should find other Taiwanese people on this forum and ask them.

If you apply Inland, you can start working maybe 2 months earlier - is it worth waiting for 2 years and not being able to leave Canada? Up to you.

Good luck!

Oak

Aug 20, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-08-2014
Med's Request
21-06-2015
Med's Done....
26-06-2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
04-09-2015
jezzicaaaaa said:
Hello ;),

My husband and I want to live here together in Canada. I am Taiwanese and he is Canadian. We recently just got married here in Ontario and decided that we wanted to start life here fresh, however looking at the immigration process is daunting.

As I am Taiwanese, I do have a visa exempt for up to 6 months. My goal is to get a job as soon as possible here, so I can start building my career and make some earnings for my family, however we also want to assure that there are no problems with my application, and risk not being approved.

My questions are: If we decide to sponsor under the inland class, would we be keeping my legal status in Canada via 'Visa-Run', would this have any effect on our application? Or would we be constantly applying for extensions over the application period? I have an exit flight for this month and I'm hoping to be back as soon as possible, but we are wondering what kind of flight should I purchase.

If we decide to go outland class, and they happen to request an "interview", do I need to fly back to my country or can it be done here in Canada as well? But if we apply for the outland class, I can't apply for the OWP but the process will be shorter right?

Any advice and or experience on this would be appreciated as we are trying to plan out the next few months with the least economic cost. We really just want me to be able to come here as soon as possible and start working.

Regards! ;D
Hi,

1. When does your current visitor visa expire?

2. Inland sponsorship is a longer wait than outland for most countries. But the good thing is the OWP that you will receive in about 4 months because of the pilot project. After you get the OWP, you can have a health card, drivers license, a job, SIN number, etc. And you can live in Canada with your husband and start your lives together. But you cannot leave Canada for as long as your entire PR application take. And if your PR application is not approved for whatever reason, you can't appeal.

3. Outland sponsorship usually takes a shorter time for processing. You can enter and leave Canada when your application is processing, depending on the CBSA officer you meet at the border (if they let you in). You can't apply for OWP. You can only get health card, drivers license, etc. when you land as a PR. If your PR application is refused, you can appeal. If you need to attend interview, it would be at the visa office your file is at.

4. If you apply for Inland sponsorship now, provided your current visitor visa is still valid, you can send in the OWP application form together with your PR application. By doing so, you will get implied status. Which means you will have legal status until you receive a reply on your OWP. The website is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2015-12-11.asp. If you intend to do this, just please check you are using the correct OWP application form to avoid any inconveniences.

Good luck!

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
Oak said:
2. Inland sponsorship is a longer wait than outland for most countries. But the good thing is the OWP that you will receive in about 4 months because of the pilot project. After you get the OWP, you can have a health card, drivers license, a job, SIN number, etc. And you can live in Canada with your husband and start your lives together. But you cannot leave Canada for as long as your entire PR application take. And if your PR application is not approved for whatever reason, you can't appeal.
Just one thing - OWP does not confer health care. It depends on the province. In Alberta, you can get health care even as a visitor - as long as your spouse lives in Alberta. In Ontario, you need the OWP AND a job, and after three months (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) you are eligible for health care. So assuming you start working as soon as you get your OWP, you can get OHIP 7+ month after you apply Inland.

At least in Ontario, you can get a driver's license without OWP, PR, or a work/study permit. They do not ask for proof of status, I believe. I got my driver's license while I was a visitor.