+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland vs outland: help needed

Nemonobody

Jan 20, 2016
Hi folks I am getting married to my gf very soon and I was wondering if I should apply for sponsorship under inland or Outland. From my understanding Outland is much preferable because of the short processing time. Now this is my current status: my 3 year work permit expired on 27th November. It has been around 50 days since the expiration. Now if I apply under Outland, I would stil need a valid status to stay in Canada. Would I be able to get a bridging permit or any other permit if I apply with 90 days of expiration of my status? If I can't extend my stay I don't see the point of Outland since the processing time is pretty high for my home country( India) which is believe is around 15 months or so.(not 100 percent sure about the processing time for New Delhi. If someone has any accurate information that will be much appreciated.)I don't want to leave without my partner for that long.
Now if I apply for inland I do understand that I can get a open work permit after the first stage of approval which takes around 11 months. But I also came across a pilot program which apparently has been extended to another year by which I can apply for a work permit right away? Is that information correct? So does this mean that in my case inland would be a better option?

I will be waiting eagerly for your experienced advises guys since I do consider this forum to be more dependable than a lot of other sources out there!:)

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
whether you apply inland or outland, it is important you maintain legal status in Canada.

1. outland: you should have valid permit when you apply for outland.
Then, you can stay in Canada while processing your file.

2. if you cannot get another work permit with LMIA or TRV and you wanna stay in Canada with your spouse.
then inland would be option for you(if you don't mind longer processing time)

3. if you get rejected visa and have to go home, then you may not be able to get another visa and stay in India till get PR.

hope other members would give more info.

good luck.

Linus0

Star Member
Jul 26, 2015
Montreal
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2015
AOR Received.
28-11-2015
Med's Request
18-05-2016
Med's Done....
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
03-08-2016
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FAYZyQgud1lzp7fM28i2O8ZrfbMAxdTc_t7_fiwI6ak/htmlview

Here is an outland thread it will give you a more accurate timeline than CIC just look for people from your country.

For inland you dont get an OWP right away, it takes 4-5 months and you have to have valid status at the time you send your application or else it will be refused. Inland applications are taking 26 months right now. Almost everyone here is going to advise you to apply outland, it is much faster

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
floomy said:
1. outland: you should have valid permit when you apply for outland.
Then, you can stay in Canada while processing your file.
That's not true. That only applies to 'inland' sponsorship. They could come looking for you and issue a removal order.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truesmile said:
That's not true. That only applies to 'inland' sponsorship. They could come looking for you and issue a removal order.
I meant, he applies for outland while stay in Canada.
he has to maintain legal status in Canada.

otherwise, like you said, he would be ordered to go home.
he cannot be implies status for outland app.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Nemonobody said:
Now this is my current status: my 3 year work permit expired on 27th November. It has been around 50 days since the expiration.
Why didn't you apply to extend or change the conditions of your work permit into visitor status? If you simply let it expire, then you are now currently in Canada illegally. And with no status, you will not qualify for the inland OWP program.

First thing you need to do is apply for restoration of your status IMMEDIATELY to get official visitor status here. Only if that's approved, can you then think of submitting an inland app and applying for OWP (which would come after approx 4-5 months).

If you decide for outland, you still need to restore your status. And you'll need to keep extending your visitor status during your outland app processing.

Nemonobody

Jan 20, 2016
Oh ok thanks for the suggestions. Do you know how can I change my status to visitor status? That does sound like a good option. I'll do some research about it.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
your work permit is expired. you need to apply for change of status to visitor.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
floomy said:
your work permit is expired. you need to apply for change of status to visitor.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp
I think it's too late for that. Need to apply for restoration of status first. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/restoration.asp