+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Spousal Sponsorship and Open Work Permit - issues travelling overseas?

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks a lot autoscriptor, that's a clear and very helpful explanation - we will do that way then!

We have started taking a look at the forms (specifically 5533) and it's a bit confusing for us, because even though we are currently living together, we are applying through Outland due to having to be overseas for a couple of months. That makes us doubt what to answer...

For example, question 7. Are you and your spouse currently living together?. The answer is Yes, but can we answer yes if we are applying through Outland?

Also, it would be so much easier for us to show our shared lease agreement, our joint bank account, our car insurance, our BC IDs and drivers licenses with the same address and so on, rather than the 'Proof of contact' or 'Proof of sponsor's visits'. We don't really chat as much online, as we see each other every single day (we even work together!), so it would be strange to have to show text messages as proof! Is it possible to provide the proofs I mentioned before (lease agreement etc) even if we are doing Outland?

Thanks a lot!
Fernando
I understand the confusion. Submitting the application outland is a choice, and it doesn't mean more than that. We submitted outland and yet provided proof of relation, the same residence, and financial ties, all from Canada. We provided a tenancy agreement, joint account, extended health insurance policies, etc. We wrote a lengthy letter of explanation, letting IRCC know why my wife decided to return to her home country and apply for outland. You can still say you live together in Canada, even if the application is outland. We did this in two applications we submitted, which were returned for other reasons. IRCC will return an inland application if it shows that the spouse is outside Canada. However, this does not apply to outland applications, which can be processed even if the spouse is inside Canada. I hope someone else from the forum reads this and gives extra confirmation.

Best of luck