+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland sponsorship steps

DL1980

Jul 2, 2024
Hi,

I am Canadian and my husband is Portuguese. We live in Portugal and have been married since March 2023.
We want to live in Canada (a homecoming for me). I want to sponsor him… my question is the following: if I sponsor him inland, can he enter in Canada as a visitor (tourist) and subsequently (from the first month) begin the procedures (sponsorship/permanent residence and open work permit)?

thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

I am Canadian and my husband is Portuguese. We live in Portugal and have been married since March 2023.
We want to live in Canada (a homecoming for me). I want to sponsor him… my question is the following: if I sponsor him inland, can he enter in Canada as a visitor (tourist) and subsequently (from the first month) begin the procedures (sponsorship/permanent residence and open work permit)?

thank you
Yes, you can initiate the sponsorship application as soon after landing as you like.

However, you can't apply for the open work permit until AOR is received (30-90 days usually), and the timing for the open work permit is rather unclear. So unfortunately there will be a period where he's unable to work in Canada.=, and how long is not known in advance.

However for EU/NATO applicants that have been married and living together, the entire procedure (to get PR) may be reasonably short, although no way to know in advance.