+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

inland sponsorship application -- Sponsorship Application Status for MSP renewal

hshi

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
Hi there:
I've filed the inland sponsorship for my wife in September and CIC confirmed received .
Since I have a client ID , I can log into CIC website and check my status.
There are actually two statues for the sponsored person:

Sponsorship Application Status shows in Processing
and Permanent Residence Application Status shows application Received.

I am wondering when sponsorship application status will be changed as we are desperate for the extension of her MSP in BC as she will be in labor in
July, 2014 and her WP expired at the end of Oct, 2013. We managed to get a temporary visitor permit to fill up the gap.

On the CIC website, it says 11 months for the Step 1 — Assessment of sponsor and person being sponsored.

I am wondering how long it may take to get the assessment of sponsor ONLY as once it's passed, we could use that letter to extend MSP.
Do we get any paper-based letter saying the sponsorship has been approved??

Any ideas or experience to share?

Thanks

Hui

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
hshi said:
On the CIC website, it says 11 months for the Step 1 — Assessment of sponsor and person being sponsored.

I am wondering how long it may take to get the assessment of sponsor ONLY as once it's passed, we could use that letter to extend MSP.
Basically step 1 approval IS the sponsor only approval. So as far as I know inland applicants need to wait for full step 1 approval (11 months) before being eligible for health care, OWP, etc.

What kind of WP did she have, and did you submit the inland app with OWP application before her previous WP expired?

hshi

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
Are you sure as step 1 includes assessment of sponsored person as well?

Rob_TO said:
Basically step 1 approval IS the sponsor only approval. So as far as I know inland applicants need to wait for full step 1 approval (11 months) before being eligible for health care, OWP, etc.

What kind of WP did she have, and did you submit the inland app with OWP application before her previous WP expired?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
hshi said:
Are you sure as step 1 includes assessment of sponsored person as well?
Step 1 is sponsor approval, Step 2 is applicant approval. You will not get any letter of sponsor approval from CIC, until entire step 1 is completed.

yomu

Nov 29, 2013
I applied sponsorship application from inside of Canada around the same time as you..

I applied MSP after I got an Email from CIC that said they got my documents and I am now on the process..But MSP told me that they can't accept my enrollment until My status change to "PR is on process" which means I have to wait another 10 months...

My friend told me different story before...She waited for 3 months until CIC send her a letter not Email..and She could apply for MSP after that.
Unfortunately my friend went back to her country to visit right now...so I can't ask her about what was the letter about...
She applied her document in 2012...She got her PR this year.. she said her whole process took only for 8 months..

I hope we could be one of those lucky people!

If you hear something from CIC, plez update on this....

I desperately waiting to get MSP as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If your friend's process only took 8 months - then she applied using the outland route - not inland.

hshi

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
hi yomu:
Have you had work permit before? When did that expire? If yes, when you fine your inland application, have you also attached an open workpermit application (OWP)?

thanks

Hui

yomu said:
I applied sponsorship application from inside of Canada around the same time as you..

I applied MSP after I got an Email from CIC that said they got my documents and I am now on the process..But MSP told me that they can't accept my enrollment until My status change to "PR is on process" which means I have to wait another 10 months...

My friend told me different story before...She waited for 3 months until CIC send her a letter not Email..and She could apply for MSP after that.
Unfortunately my friend went back to her country to visit right now...so I can't ask her about what was the letter about...
She applied her document in 2012...She got her PR this year.. she said her whole process took only for 8 months..

I hope we could be one of those lucky people!

If you hear something from CIC, plez update on this....

I desperately waiting to get MSP as well.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hshi said:
I am wondering when sponsorship application status will be changed as we are desperate for the extension of her MSP in BC as she will be in labor in
July, 2014 and her WP expired at the end of Oct, 2013. We managed to get a temporary visitor permit to fill up the gap.

Do we get any paper-based letter saying the sponsorship has been approved??
See this http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

Specifically, the part that says:

Ordinarily, the wait period for coverage for a spouse/child that is residing in B.C. and has later become an applicant for permanent resident status consists of the balance of the month Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) accepts an application for permanent resident status, plus two months. In some circumstances, the wait period may begin on the date the application fee for permanent resident status was received by CIC if the spouse/child has been residing in B.C. since that time.

yomu

Nov 29, 2013
scylla said:
If your friend's process only took 8 months - then she applied using the outland route - not inland.
Hhhmm..Maybe you are right...It sounds like she applied from outside of Canada...
She got a letter from CIC in 3 months and she could apply MSP right after that sounds like outside process too...

I will ask her again after she comes back to Canada...

yomu

Nov 29, 2013
hshi said:
hi yomu:
Have you had work permit before? When did that expire? If yes, when you fine your inland application, have you also attached an open workpermit application (OWP)?

thanks

Hui
No. I only had Working Holiday Visa before and I didn't apply for OWP this time because I heard you can get OWP around the same time as PR...maybe only couple months differences..
So I thought its no point to apply for OWP..

BCHO

Sep 16, 2014
Hi,

I have this story where the person is saying that once a Spouse has been sponsored, HIBC is supposed to give MSP coverage.

A story from British Columbia
Inland Sponsorship
Edmonton

Sep 4, 2014 — Hello,

I would like to share my recent dealings with Health Insurance BC as I hope you will be able to offer the information to others in our position to access health care for their spouses during the now 20 month wait for CIC to process applications for PR.

My wife was denied Medical Services Plan coverage on my plan and we were told that this would remain the case until we received 'Approval in Principal' from CIC - I understand this denial of coverage is common in BC and Ontario. After checking the BC Laws and Regulations that determine coverage it became clear that HIBC were not following the rules and should be enrolling spouses as soon as an application is received by CIC. With this information I contacted my local MP, who's seceratary was very helpful but ultimately could only repeat the 'HIBC require proof of Approval in Principle' line. I also wrote to the BC Minister for Health Terry Lake on 28th May 2014, as yet unanswered, outlining the discrepancy between HIBC's actions and the Rules and Regulations that they are governed by.

After exhausting the appeal process to no avail I submitted a Freedom of Information request to request documents regarding HIBC's decision to interpret the 'deemed residency' rules to require 'approval in principle' from CIC, as this is not in the Rules or Regulations. While I did not receive that, I was sent a copy of the HIBC Eligibility Manual and HIBC Enrolment and Account Maintenance Manual. When I then called HIBC - having been told previously on numerous occasions by them my wife was ineligible for coverage - I quoted page numbers and statements from the manual and asked from which page the operator was quoting when denying my wife coverage and was told by the operator that her supervisor would need to look at this and I would get a call back. One week later I called back, not having heard from HIBC, and after being put on hold for 15 minutes was told that my wife's enrolment had been granted and her card should be with us in two weeks.

My wife is no further along the sponsorship process than she was all the other times HIBC denied her enrolment to my plan. Our sponsorship application has been received by but not been opened by CIC. The only thing that changed was that I had the book that told the operators who to enrol and who not to - and it is as clear as the Rules and Regulations in that spouses who have applied for PR are eligible for MSP coverage.

I hope this information will be of use to others in BC in the same situation - awaiting sponsorship approval from CIC but without health coverage - and am very happy for you to share it as you see fit. The result of my FOI request was published on the 22nd July 2014 on the openinfo.gov.bc.ca website. I would appreciate it if you do not share my email address.

Regards,

Richard

I tried what the person said he did, and I still got the same response. That the sponsorship has to be in Process before my wife can get MSP coverage. My wife and I had our baby last month and the costs were over $20000.00. I am wondering if the story is true, should I take this to a lawyer and try to get MSP to back date our coverage to cover the birth?

asiana

Jun 5, 2014
BCHO said:
Hi,

I have this story where the person is saying that once a Spouse has been sponsored, HIBC is supposed to give MSP coverage.

A story from British Columbia
Inland Sponsorship
Edmonton

Sep 4, 2014 — Hello,

I would like to share my recent dealings with Health Insurance BC as I hope you will be able to offer the information to others in our position to access health care for their spouses during the now 20 month wait for CIC to process applications for PR.

My wife was denied Medical Services Plan coverage on my plan and we were told that this would remain the case until we received 'Approval in Principal' from CIC - I understand this denial of coverage is common in BC and Ontario. After checking the BC Laws and Regulations that determine coverage it became clear that HIBC were not following the rules and should be enrolling spouses as soon as an application is received by CIC. With this information I contacted my local MP, who's seceratary was very helpful but ultimately could only repeat the 'HIBC require proof of Approval in Principle' line. I also wrote to the BC Minister for Health Terry Lake on 28th May 2014, as yet unanswered, outlining the discrepancy between HIBC's actions and the Rules and Regulations that they are governed by.

After exhausting the appeal process to no avail I submitted a Freedom of Information request to request documents regarding HIBC's decision to interpret the 'deemed residency' rules to require 'approval in principle' from CIC, as this is not in the Rules or Regulations. While I did not receive that, I was sent a copy of the HIBC Eligibility Manual and HIBC Enrolment and Account Maintenance Manual. When I then called HIBC - having been told previously on numerous occasions by them my wife was ineligible for coverage - I quoted page numbers and statements from the manual and asked from which page the operator was quoting when denying my wife coverage and was told by the operator that her supervisor would need to look at this and I would get a call back. One week later I called back, not having heard from HIBC, and after being put on hold for 15 minutes was told that my wife's enrolment had been granted and her card should be with us in two weeks.

My wife is no further along the sponsorship process than she was all the other times HIBC denied her enrolment to my plan. Our sponsorship application has been received by but not been opened by CIC. The only thing that changed was that I had the book that told the operators who to enrol and who not to - and it is as clear as the Rules and Regulations in that spouses who have applied for PR are eligible for MSP coverage.

I hope this information will be of use to others in BC in the same situation - awaiting sponsorship approval from CIC but without health coverage - and am very happy for you to share it as you see fit. The result of my FOI request was published on the 22nd July 2014 on the openinfo.gov.bc.ca website. I would appreciate it if you do not share my email address.

Regards,

Richard

I tried what the person said he did, and I still got the same response. That the sponsorship has to be in Process before my wife can get MSP coverage. My wife and I had our baby last month and the costs were over $20000.00. I am wondering if the story is true, should I take this to a lawyer and try to get MSP to back date our coverage to cover the birth?
Thanks for sharing this. I guess its time for me to apply ... ;)

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
asiana said:
Thanks for sharing this. I guess its time for me to apply ... ;)
You can find other useful info here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bc-inlanders-thread-t184207.0.html