+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland on visitor: OWP + TRV extension or only OWP?

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
Last year, we had the adventure of applying for the TRV to have my then-girlfriend visit me for a few weeks here in Canada (I'm a citizen). This forum was a great help since it was not easy (got approved on the 3rd try). We've planned to start our new life together here in Canada, so during her visit this year we got married here in Canada and want to submit the inland spousal sponsorship. We're a little nervous since the timeline is pretty tight due to some unreasonable delays in finally getting our hands on the marriage certificate, a requirement for the application.

Our understanding is that we should include an application for Open Work Permit at the same time. It's unclear whether a request to extend the visitor visa should also be submitted, or if any implied status through the pending PR + the OWP would suffice. We have no plans to have her travel outside of Canada during the time the PR is being processed, but want to make sure we get everything right the first time to avoid being refused and then her ending up needing to leave due to being out of status after the application is refused.

Something else we wonder about is related to current employment and how it would be seen by the CIC. When she was still living in her country, she quit her office job and got a remote job (employer still based in her country) so that she could visit here without needing as much vacation time. She since changed jobs to another remote job, but this time the employer is based out of the US. We want to make sure this doesn't actually count as "working in Canada" in the eyes of the CIC, since she doesn't work for any Canadian/Canada-based employer. She would love to do that of course, as soon as she gets valid worker status.

Also, I believe I have the correct fee to pay here, but if I'm mistaken can someone point it out?

"Sponsorship fee ($75), principal applicant processing fee ($475) and right of permanent residence fee ($490)" - Total: $1,040

I hope I'm not missing anything else. The CIC site says biometrics not required at this time, so I didn't add that fee.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Last year, we had the adventure of applying for the TRV to have my then-girlfriend visit me for a few weeks here in Canada (I'm a citizen). This forum was a great help since it was not easy (got approved on the 3rd try). We've planned to start our new life together here in Canada, so during her visit this year we got married here in Canada and want to submit the inland spousal sponsorship. We're a little nervous since the timeline is pretty tight due to some unreasonable delays in finally getting our hands on the marriage certificate, a requirement for the application.

Our understanding is that we should include an application for Open Work Permit at the same time. It's unclear whether a request to extend the visitor visa should also be submitted, or if any implied status through the pending PR + the OWP would suffice. We have no plans to have her travel outside of Canada during the time the PR is being processed, but want to make sure we get everything right the first time to avoid being refused and then her ending up needing to leave due to being out of status after the application is refused.

Something else we wonder about is related to current employment and how it would be seen by the CIC. When she was still living in her country, she quit her office job and got a remote job (employer still based in her country) so that she could visit here without needing as much vacation time. She since changed jobs to another remote job, but this time the employer is based out of the US. We want to make sure this doesn't actually count as "working in Canada" in the eyes of the CIC, since she doesn't work for any Canadian/Canada-based employer. She would love to do that of course, as soon as she gets valid worker status.

Also, I believe I have the correct fee to pay here, but if I'm mistaken can someone point it out?

"Sponsorship fee ($75), principal applicant processing fee ($475) and right of permanent residence fee ($490)" - Total: $1,040

I hope I'm not missing anything else. The CIC site says biometrics not required at this time, so I didn't add that fee.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed!
If her visitor status is going to expire soon, she should apply for an extension in case the PR and/or OWP app is returned.

As long as her employer has no Canadian clients and doesn't do business in Canada, it's fine.

And $255 for the OWP.

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
If her visitor status is going to expire soon, she should apply for an extension in case the PR and/or OWP app is returned.

As long as her employer has no Canadian clients and doesn't do business in Canada, it's fine.

And $255 for the OWP.
Thanks for the response! No Canadian clients nor any business in Canada; thanks for the reassurance. Is it ideal to include everything in the same paper application with the PR, or apply for the visitor extension separately online, or does it not matter?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the response! No Canadian clients nor any business in Canada; thanks for the reassurance. Is it ideal to include everything in the same paper application with the PR, or apply for the visitor extension separately online, or does it not matter?
The OWP and PR apps are submitted together. The visitor extension is separate.

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
Hmm, for the application to extend visitor, we are not sure what to put as "purpose of my visit", the options being Business, Tourism, Short-Term Studies, Returning Student, Returning Worker, Super Visa, Other, Family Visit and Visit.

Is selecting "other" and writing "maintain status while waiting for PR application" valid? And if so, then what to put for "indicate how long you plan to stay" (specific dates are required fields)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hmm, for the application to extend visitor, we are not sure what to put as "purpose of my visit", the options being Business, Tourism, Short-Term Studies, Returning Student, Returning Worker, Super Visa, Other, Family Visit and Visit.

Is selecting "other" and writing "maintain status while waiting for PR application" valid? And if so, then what to put for "indicate how long you plan to stay" (specific dates are required fields)
Yes, that's fine. Put a year.

Reactions: zcypher

Roch6219

Star Member
Aug 4, 2018
Hi, i also get my application return to me because instead of 255, i paid 100 for work permit. so make sure you pay 255 for the open work permit. also to avoid a return, send in with your application all of your police certificate from different country you live in since your 18 years old. if you have a child, include also with the application their police certificate. hope this will help

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
Hi, i also get my application return to me because instead of 255, i paid 100 for work permit. so make sure you pay 255 for the open work permit. also to avoid a return, send in with your application all of your police certificate from different country you live in since your 18 years old. if you have a child, include also with the application their police certificate. hope this will help
Thanks for the heads up! I've paid the $255, and we have the appropriate police certificate as well. No children.

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
Getting stuck with the employment section here, it says to provide employment for the past 10 years, but there isn't enough space and the form (unlike some other of their forms) does not have a button to add additional fields to the form. The guide says "If you need more space, print out an additional page of the form, complete this section and submit it with your application", but I don't see any way to do this. If I try to merge the PDF with another page, I get an error when trying to upload it. It says not to upload a scanned version. So I'm not sure how I'm supposed to add another page anywhere. I don't remember having this problem when we did the initial TRV, I definitely added lots of pages to include all the supporting documentation at the time.

Am I missing something?

Edit: I just included word document with the info as an extra page in another section that allowed me to do so (financial support) with an explanation. Visitor extension is sent, hopefully will be able to get the PR/OWP sent tomorrow.

Last edited:

aliacca

Jun 1, 2016
Hi

I am based in UAE and got the PR in July 2016 (myself, wife and son). However my daughter was born in October 2016 outside the Canada and she doesn't have PR. Now I am planning to move to Canada and one of my friend was telling me that I can apply TRV so we will bring her with us to Canada.

Kindly advice me for the following:

1. Any good consultant in the UAE for TRV services (as I want to make my case strong prior to apply for TRV)
2. Chances of getting the TRV
3. Can I apply the TRV for her from UAE
4. If rejected, what are the other options I have to bring the daughter with me to Canada.

Regards,
Ali

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
Hi

I am based in UAE and got the PR in July 2016 (myself, wife and son). However my daughter was born in October 2016 outside the Canada and she doesn't have PR. Now I am planning to move to Canada and one of my friend was telling me that I can apply TRV so we will bring her with us to Canada.

Kindly advice me for the following:

1. Any good consultant in the UAE for TRV services (as I want to make my case strong prior to apply for TRV)
2. Chances of getting the TRV
3. Can I apply the TRV for her from UAE
4. If rejected, what are the other options I have to bring the daughter with me to Canada.

Regards,
Ali
Hi, sorry but it's probably better to create your own thread to get the best responses to that! :)

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
One thing that is not clear for us in the country-specific requirements:

If you hold a Philippine passport, you and your family members included in the application must follow these instructions:
  • Principal applicant: To establish marital status, the principal applicant must submit either a Certificate of no record of marriage (CENOMAR) to establish that there is no record of marriage, or a Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) Advisory on Marriages providing details about any marriages registered in the Philippines.
  • Births, deaths, and marriages outside the Philippines:
    • If you are submitting documentation for a birth, marriage, or death which occurred in a country other than the Philippines, and it has not been registered with the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA): Submit a copy of the birth, marriage, or death certificate which was issued by the country where the birth, marriage, or death occurred. The original may be requested for verification. Use the drop down tool to check the requirements for documents issued by that country.
She obtained a CENOMAR while still in the Philippines (not married at that time). We later married here in Canada and have that marriage certificate. No registration of marriage has been made in the Philippines so far. Do we still have to submit that CENOMAR with the Canadian marriage certificate?

Also, #7 on the checklist, "Country specific requirements", says "List any additional forms you are providing here (starting with the IMM form number, or write /N/A if you do not have extra forms to submit". The country-specific requirements do not call for any additional IMM forms. They do call for original birth certificate instead of photocopy, and a copy of baptismal certificate if the birth certificate was registered more than a month after the birth, and mentions the CENOMAR/marriage certificate stuff. In this instance would I still leave N/A in that field since those items are not "additional forms"? Or should I list those items there..

Last edited:

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
Almost ready to send everything off, going to use FedEx or UPS and the application will be split in two envelopes (one 9x12 for OWP and one 11x13 for PR). I'm including a table of contents that lists everything in order including the checklists and forms and a couple notes to make sure everything is completely clear.

For OWP:

- IMM 5556 (checklist)
- IMM 5710 (application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in canada as a worker - barcode page placed on top)
- Application Fees - $255.00 - official receipt printout
- Photocopies of passport pages - 2 pages showing the main page with the photo, name, passport number etc and other page showing stamps and visitor visa
- Photocopy of marriage certificate (it says "if applicable", I have to assume it is since we're married and the OWP is to help facilitate the PR)
- "Additional Page for IMM 5710" , because there was insufficient space on the form for the employment info

For the PR:

- IMM 5533 (the checklist)
- IMM 1344 - "Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking"
- Application Fees - $1,040.00 (sponsorship fee $75, principal applicant processing fee $475, right of permanent residence fee $490) - official receipt printout
- IMM 0008 - "Generic Application Form for Canada"
- Country-specific requirements: N/A for additional forms, but put a note to see original birth certificate it calls for + other in identity docs section
- IMM 5406 - "Additional Family Information"
- IMM 5669 - "Schedule A - Background / Declaration"
- IMM 5532 - "Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation"
- Supporting Documents for Sponsor - photocopy of passport, original employment letter, notice of assessment / option c
- Supporting Documents for Sponsored Person - photocopy of passport and visitor visa / stamps, birth certificate, baptismal certificate, CENOMAR
- Civil Status Documents - Photocopy of Marriage Certificate
- Police Certificates
- 2 photos meeting CIC photo specifications for PR, paper-clipped to the police certificates
- Proof of Relationship to Sponsor - joint bank accounts, joint insurance policies, other bank/credit and other documents showing our names at the same address
- Proof of Relationship to Sponsor - photos - wedding, vacation, travel, close friends and family - printed, annotated with name, date of birth, context
- Proof of Relationship to Sponsor - "evidence of financial support between you and your sponsor" - statements showing her as supplementary cardholder + pictures of the card, interac e-transfers between us, certified bank draft given to her when she first opened accounts, joint account history showing transactions and some of her bill payments
- Proof of Relationship to Sponsor - "other proof your relationship is recognized by friends/family" - heartfelt letters from my family, screenshots of social media accounts showing relationship status and posts from friends & family, social media posts about us / with pictures of us posted by friends, family and colleagues

I think that covers everything. Any critiques or advice before it goes out?

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
Everything has been sent off, should arrive at CPC Mississauga by end of day tomorrow. The wait begins!