+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND AUGUST 2018 APPLICANTS - JOIN HERE

Shanahando

Nov 27, 2018
Hey all! Just started this process and am a little worried as I have definitely left it a little late!

I sent my app for my PR under common law alongside OWP and it was recieved on Oct 9th. I am currently on a working holiday visa that expires on Dec 1st.

I am yet to hear anything back but I have all the relevant docs like receipt and tracking info. Will I still be able to work with my current employer under implied status? This should apply to me as I applied more than 30 days before my current status expires right?

fortnite12

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
PR & OWP - CPC Mississauga
Police certificate and Schedule A submitted upfront.
Application sent: 27th August
Application recieved: 29th August
AoR received: 22nd September
Medical request: 9th November
Medical completed: 27th November
Medical passed: Waiting
OWP: Waiting

Completed the Medical today. I was unsure of the costs of each and couldn't find much online beforehand, so I'll add them here just in case anyone else is in the same area and wants to know.
Downtown Calgary:
Dr Grunberg - $225
CLS (Blood & Urine tests) - $42
Mayfair Diagnostics (X-Ray) - $80
That’s hella expensive

lenafntnd

Nov 6, 2018
Hey all! Just started this process and am a little worried as I have definitely left it a little late!

I sent my app for my PR under common law alongside OWP and it was recieved on Oct 9th. I am currently on a working holiday visa that expires on Dec 1st.

I am yet to hear anything back but I have all the relevant docs like receipt and tracking info. Will I still be able to work with my current employer under implied status? This should apply to me as I applied more than 30 days before my current status expires right?
Hi! I can't answer for the implied status but I would suggest finding an October thread so you can follow along with people that applied at the same time as you. It really helps to read where everyone is at, this way you know when to expect your things too!

Betabr

Mar 21, 2018

Hello!
No, you can't work on implied status.

LariBoo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2018

You have to apply for a visitor visa to have a status here in canada and i suggest you do it right now as your visa expires in like 2 days and also you can't work coz you don't have implied status.

negarmh

Star Member
Jul 18, 2014
Hi Everyone,

My situation is becoming more complicated... Here it is.

Medical exam passed just a few days ago as per website. my timeline is below in the signature.

My current post-graduate work permit expires on May 19th 2019. And I didn't apply for OWP with my PR application. I was advised here to send my OWP application to edmonton by paper sometime in December. Now I figured they'll only issue OWP until expiry of passport. And... (wait for the disaster) mine expires on August 8th 2019.

So It seems I'll need to get a new passport from my home country soon, to be able to apply for OWP soon.
But how bad is it to get a new passport half-way through the PR application?

Any help/advice/thought/encouragement appreciated.
Thanks,

Last edited:

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hi Everyone,

My situation is becoming more complicated... Here it is.
Medical exam passed just a few days ago as per website. my timeline is below.
Mu current post-graduate work permit expired on May 19th. And I didn't apply for OWP with my PR application. I was advised here to send my OWP application to edmonton by paper, in December.
Now I figured they'll only issue OWP until end of passport. And... (wait for the disaster) mine expired on August 8th.

So It seems I'll need to get a new passport from my home country soon, to be able to apply for OWP soon.
But how bad is it to get a new passport half-way through the PR application?

Any help/advice/thought/encouragement appreciated.
Thanks,
It's not bad - it's mandatory. You cannot complete this process without a passport that's valid for at least 6 months at the time of landing. If you're asking if it's going to affect your application negatively, no. It's a document that expired, it happens.

Yes, you were supposed to apply for the OWP while you still had legal status. However, if your work permit expired in May and you applied for the PR in August, you were already out of status and were never going to get the OWP anyway. You must have legal status to apply for the OWP. If you don't, you need to wait til approval in principle of your PR application. This usually happens about a month or two before the whole process is finished so it's usually not even worth to spend the money on the OWP as you'll get your PR before that.

negarmh

Star Member
Jul 18, 2014
It's not bad - it's mandatory. You cannot complete this process without a passport that's valid for at least 6 months at the time of landing. If you're asking if it's going to affect your application negatively, no. It's a document that expired, it happens.

Yes, you were supposed to apply for the OWP while you still had legal status. However, if your work permit expired in May and you applied for the PR in August, you were already out of status and were never going to get the OWP anyway. You must have legal status to apply for the OWP. If you don't, you need to wait til approval in principle of your PR application. This usually happens about a month or two before the whole process is finished so it's usually not even worth to spend the money on the OWP as you'll get your PR before that.
Hi np08,

Thanks for your quick response. And sorry, my bad. My post-graduate work permit WILL EXPIRE on May 2019 (I corrected the original post). How do you advice now?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hi np08,

Thanks for your quick response. And sorry, my bad. My post-graduate work permit WILL EXPIRE on May 2019 (I edited the original post). How do you advice now?
In that case you are still in status and you can apply for the OWP when you get your new passport. Also remember to update your PR file with the new passport info when you get it.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Reactions: Shanahando

Shanahando

Nov 27, 2018
Yes, as you're switching from a working holiday visa to an open work permit, that second answer that says you can't keep working applies to you. You're going from one type of work permit to another.
Thanks so much for the clarification guys! The way it is all worded is mega confusing.

Good luck to you all!