+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND: Applying for Open work permit

poohbear511

Nov 6, 2010
Hello,

I sponsored my husband and finally received our AIP letter! But since we didn't apply for an open work permit together with our application (didn't know about it back then :() he needs to apply one. I read in here that people received the letters stating that they are now eligible to apply for open work permit which we didn't get in ours...... So does that mean my husband can't apply for one? or can he just apply for one regardless ??
And his visitor status expires at the end of May so he should be applying for either another extension or OWP now because I have no idea when his interviews going to be...hopefully soon!! :)

Also it would be great if anybody could tell me what kind of documents he should include applying for OWP. Does he check both extension and change of condition?? For the reason should he write down because he got the AIP and want to work while he's waiting for PR or something? Does he need proof of job offer?? SOrry, So many questions ><

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
I'm not sure why your AIP letter didn't mention open work permit; if your husband has valid status I can't see why he wouldn't be eligible for an OWP. So just go ahead and apply, I think :)

Tick "change conditions" and "initial work permit", pay the $150 fee and include a copy of your AIP letter, copy of your husband's passport and indication of his current status in Canada (visitor visa, stamp in his passport when he entered Canada or similar). It's also a good idea, although not necessary, to include proof of funds; either his bank statements or a couple of your pay stubs if you are supporting him.

He doesn't need a job offer, and saying that his PR application is in process and he would like to work during the wait is a perfectly good reason :)

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Are you sure your husband has AIP?

As far as I am aware the AIP letter is pretty standard and always mentions that the applicant can now apply for an OWP.

Can you post a copy of the letter received, as it sounds strange. Maybe Seniors can comment on this.

suenim

Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
NONE
LANDED..........
April 2011
Was your husband out of status when he applied? If he was, maybe that's why the letter doesn't mention OWP. A restoration of status or something is needed in that case to apply for OWP after AIP.

poohbear511

Nov 6, 2010
I'm pretty sure it is the AIP letter.
And no he was not out-of-status..still isn't. hmm...I will call up cic and find out. Just gets me worried cuz the letter is a little different from what some people are getting.....

Material

Feb 16, 2011
suenim said:
Was your husband out of status when he applied? If he was, maybe that's why the letter doesn't mention OWP. A restoration of status or something is needed in that case to apply for OWP after AIP.
My wife is out of status and when we recieved AIP last month the letter said that she could apply for a work permit so I dont think this is the case.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Hello poohbear511,
Could you post at least the first paragraph of your letter? You can omit private info such as address, client id, name, etc.

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
poohbear511 said:
I'm pretty sure it is the AIP letter.
Well, as Love_Young said, the fastest way to check would be to post the first few sentences up here :) These letter tend to be generic so members here should recognize it right away.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My letter says:

First page:

My address and information

" This letter refers to your application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada Class.

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent resident status as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class..."

And it goes on saying that I need to send police certificate from my country(I have sent it initially but they were from different police departments)

On the second page it says:

"You may now apply for an open work permit, which will allow you to work in the occupation and location of your choice."

poohbear511

Nov 6, 2010
Alright...sorry for the late reply...
But I called CIC and explained about the OWP and basically they said all the processing of application has been completed. And that it's pointless to apply for OWP since we'll be getting the landing interview letter soon. So that's why the AIP letter didn't state anything about OWP.
Our AIP letter was like "It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent resident status...."
"We are pleased to advise you that processing of your application has been completed. The CIC center will contact you concerning the permanent resident status"

I guess every letter is a little different since everyone applying has different situations... So I guess we shouldn't get all worried if we don't get the same letters as others ;)

But thank you all for the help. I appreciate it! :) So many infos in here. Glad I found this site!

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
See, good news after all!

Let us know how your interview went.

:)

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
You got approved for both AIP and PR at the same time. Congrats to you!
Let us know how the interview goes.

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
That's terrific, poohbear! Congratulations, and let us know how the interview went :)