+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Application - Sponsoring a spouse who is a recent graduate

unhappymeal

Jan 19, 2014
Hello everyone:

My wife and I met two years ago during our Master's studies and we married in January of this year. We are in the process of completing our PR application and had a few questions that we were unable to sort out:

1. She finished defending her Master's thesis in July of 2013 and was awarded a Post Graduation Work Permit expiring on the 22nd of June in 2015. Assuming we submit our PR application by the end of the month, do we need to apply for an extension to her Work Permit in advance?

2. It is my understanding that she would be eligible for OHIP coverage after the first phase of the application. However, that could take some time since it's an Inland application and she is from Iran. Should we look into purchasing Medical Coverage for her in the interim? If so, does anyone have any suggested providers to buy it from?

3. We purchased a condominium in Toronto and my wife has that address on all her forms; however, all of my identification (Driver's License, Health Card, Passport) state that my address is my parent's house. Should we wait for my change of address to be processed (i.e. MOHLTC/MOT send me new cards) before we submit our application?

Thanks a tonne for the help everyone and best of luck to all applicants!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I will help you as best as I can here. This all presupposes you are filing an INLAND application here as none of your questions are pertinent for an OUTLAND application.

1. You can apply for an OWP along with her application, however, her PGWP is NOT EXTENDABLE so if she were to run out of work permit before she gained her OWP, she would need to stop working until she gets her OWP. In other words, PGWP does not benefit from implied status.

2. Yes, she will qualify once your reach first stage approval, but she will still have to wait for the 3 months for it to become valid. So saying you file your application next month, you would be waiting for roughly 11 months for it to get first stage approval, and then 3 months from that point she would benefit from OHIP. You might want to check to see if her PGWP qualifies her for OHIP now. I am not sure it does.

3. If you are indeed on the mortgage and such for the condominium then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. You should at the very minimum change your information on your License and Health card if they are not correct anyhow. You only need show a copy of your birth certificate and passport for the application process anyhow.

I am not sure what else to add here. I am sure if a more senior member has more information here they can add it.

unhappymeal

Jan 19, 2014
Thanks Alurra, that was very informative. I will have to look into if there's anyway to get some sort of Bridge on her PGWP if the PR process ends up exceeding June 2015. Logically, it does not make sense to apply for an OWP for some unspecified time in the future if she already has a PGWP, but you never know how these things go.

Her PGWP does qualify her for OHIP, but the job market is really hard right now. Who knew it'd be so hard to find a gig with a MSc in Mathematics specializing in Quantitative Finance? I will try and see if there are any posts recommending a health provider in the interrim.

Thanks again!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Just to add, since she has status in Canada for well over a year, technically this would qualify her to do OUTLAND application through the CPP-Ottawa office. In this case her entire PR could be completed and approved in well under 1 years time, so should have full PR before the PGWP expires. Of course the big risk here is if CIC decides not to send the app to Ottawa, and instead sends it based on her citizenship (For Iran citizens this would be Ankara office).

For health insurance providers, you can start with some quotes for visitors-to-Canada insurance here: http://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada

unhappymeal

Jan 19, 2014
Hi Rob,

We were seriously considering the Outland option, but our main worry is that they may reject processing it in Toronto. If that was the case, we would both need to fly to Ankara if she had an interview, as she is not at all comfortable being there alone.

It would be doubly worse if for some reason she had to stay in Iran since her father has passed away and someone would have to sign for her release from Iran.

Do you know how likely it is for them to reject processing it in Ottawa?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
unhappymeal said:
Do you know how likely it is for them to reject processing it in Ottawa?
I'm' really not sure of this. I would include a cover letter specifically stating why the app must be processed in Ottawa (with reasons you just mentioned). Since she has status well over 1 year in Canada, there is no apparent reason that CIC shouldn't send it to Ottawa.

What you could do is to submit the outland app, and after around 30 days you get sponsor approval from CPC-Mississauga and you will then know which office CPC-M will send the app to. If by some chance they decide to send it to Ankara, then you could immediately cancel the outland app and submit the inland one instead. All you would waste is around 1 month of time, and some small processing fees for sponsor approval.

Other people have had apps transferred between visa offices, but this could be a long drawn out process with no guarantee of success.

But if everything goes as planned and they do send it to Ottawa like they should, then you are all good.

unhappymeal

Jan 19, 2014
Hey Rob, are you sure about being able to select CPP-O for your Outland application if you are residing in Canada? I checked the link below and it stated that CPP-O is only available to US applicants and those getting Temporary Lawful Resident permits.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
unhappymeal said:
Hey Rob, are you sure about being able to select CPP-O for your Outland application if you are residing in Canada? I checked the link below and it stated that CPP-O is only available to US applicants and those getting Temporary Lawful Resident permits.
See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp
Look up "Canada"

But as i said, even though one is eligible for Ottawa processing and requests it, does not guarantee app will be sent there.

unhappymeal

Jan 19, 2014
Ah, thanks for the clarification. One of our other worries is that Iran requires biometric information, and therefore she is guaranteed to need to head to the VISA office. If they decide to send it to Ankara, we would almost certainly have to withdraw the application. It's good to know there are options though.