+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi
On this same thred if you Can check there were a few applications submitted without a Canadian passport and they said they were processed.
When I called the customer care they also mention that if you can mention that were getting in process.
Show the post plz, love to read...
This was true until 2022 and early 2023, but that was changed.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I believe it's not fair on their paryt to simply rejecting than contacting the applicant
We are clearly mentioning the email address and ph. no to contact us. When Candian passports in process I could not have a copy of the same.
Ex: For my son's Canadian passport the officer called me advised me to send further doc to prove his date of birth. It was a kind and warm approach from the officer and she let me to fax the doc to her office. I felt it was a great experience and it was stress free. Can we expect the services from others??
I don't want compare but still there a lot of room for improvement in terms of customer services when it comes to BLS offices. It's really frustrating with loosing money, time and efforts.
BLS cares about making money, customer service is not a priority for them.

Without passport it never worked in Ottawa/Toronto. There are few examples of it working in Vancouver but mostly in-person where your convincing skills matter.

canvisanewuser

Dec 10, 2023
Ottawa
Hello All,

I am going to submit the surrender application as walk-in in Ottawa soon. Should we need to take kids along with us? I am planning to take photo in the BLS to avoid rejections and will pay using debit card. Can I submit application for my kids and spouse? appreciate your insights , Thanks in advance.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello All,

I am going to submit the surrender application as walk-in in Ottawa soon. Should we need to take kids along with us? I am planning to take photo in the BLS to avoid rejections and will pay using debit card. Can I submit application for my kids and spouse? appreciate your insights , Thanks in advance.
If you are submitting with the kids, better to take them along since they also need photographs taken at BLS

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
My first application was rejected because the photo copy of my drivers license for address proof was not in portrait format. My drivers license was vertical and not horizontal lol.

Second application got accepted and I can see the status as processing at consulate general.

So be fully prepared for your application to be rejected for the silliest of reasons.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Here's my situation.

2006 - Indian Passport was issued with 10 year validity.
2011 - Acquired first foreign citizenship.
2016 - Indian Passport renewed for 10 year validity from India.
2020 - Acquired second foreign citizenship.

I've used Indian passport once for traveling since 2006(one trip to India in 2016) and have renewed it once between 2006 till now. The current passport expires in 2026. I would like to surrender and be done once and for all but surely it sounds like opening a can of worms.

I have no idea how much financial penalty they will try to impose as there are no clear rules to deal with this situation. Also, if I just traveled to India in 2026 and renewed the passport I would probably be good for another 10 years but if caught, they will probably try to charge me criminally and detain me in India. Honestly don't know if I'll ever travel to India again but I would like to keep the possibility open.

Please let me know if anyone has been in this situation before and how they navigated.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: ThenT

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Here's my situation.

2006 - Indian Passport was issued with 10 year validity.
2011 - Acquired first foreign citizenship.
2016 - Indian Passport renewed for 10 year validity from India.
2020 - Acquired second foreign citizenship.

I've used Indian passport once for traveling since 2006(one trip to India in 2016) and have renewed it once between 2006 till now. The current passport expires in 2026. I would like to surrender and be done once and for all but surely it sounds like opening a can of worms.

I have no idea how much financial penalty they will try to impose as there are no clear rules to deal with this situation. Also, if I just traveled to India in 2026 and renewed the passport I would probably be good for another 10 years but if caught, they will probably try to charge me criminally and detain me in India. Honestly don't know if I'll ever travel to India again but I would like to keep the possibility open.

Please let me know if anyone has been in this situation before and how they navigated.
I don't think anyone in this forum will be able to help you :D

Avi@1234

May 8, 2024
Hi everyone, I did the process of surrendering Indian passport at BLS Edmonton on May 13, I still didn't receive it.
The status at bls processing at consulate general.
But I can not track on passport seva website it say invalid tracking number.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi everyone, I did the process of surrendering Indian passport at BLS Toronto on May 13, I still didn't receive it. The status here https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html still shows Application submitted. My worry is I am moving from my current location which is given to BLS. What can be done in such case ? Why it is taking so long for me ? My some friends received within 3 weeks.
It should have moved to review stage. Something does not look right. What's the status on BLS?