+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR WORK EXPERIENCE - need help urgently

asif.ahmed

Jan 15, 2017
Hey guys,

So I worked with a start up from December 2015 till December 2016. The area of concern is - my time there I was an independent contractor. Some details:

1. I got a reference letter stating I worked 37.5 hours/week in the office (provided with address) and got paid $X/hour. And then roles and responsibilities (closest - NOC 1122). I got laid off but my ex-employer has agreed to help me apply for PR by assisting me with letters proving my work experience.
2. My pay stubs does not show deduction from my income for tax, CPP, EI. But I was paid Bi-Weekly through the payroll.
3. My contract says the relationship is not employer/employee. But I did not have management control, stand to make/lose money, subcontract work out, etc (all the factors considered to determine employee vs. contractor by CRA - STRONGLY suggests that I was an employee.

Questions:
1. When I do my online Express Entry Profile - should I tick the box that says "this work experience is self employed"?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to argue that you were in fact in a de facto employer/employee relationship then you would have to choose "no"

You would have to explain this and I can only wish you good luck as this won't be easy to do.

mani1004

May 27, 2014
Hi, I need assistance from you. I am applying in express entry and I have work experience from March 2016 to July 2016 as self employed but in the same field as I did my degree. From July 2016 I have a full time permanent job. All this work experience is in canada. My employer for my self employed job from March 2016 to July 2016 is giving me letter that i worked full time with 37 hours per week. Would my experience from March 2016 to july 2016 count towards my Express entry file which I am planning to Submit in March ? Please advice.

mukulabd

Oct 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asif.ahmed said:
Hey guys,

So I worked with a start up from December 2015 till December 2016. The area of concern is - my time there I was an independent contractor. Some details:

1. I got a reference letter stating I worked 37.5 hours/week in the office (provided with address) and got paid $X/hour. And then roles and responsibilities (closest - NOC 1122). I got laid off but my ex-employer has agreed to help me apply for PR by assisting me with letters proving my work experience.
2. My pay stubs does not show deduction from my income for tax, CPP, EI. But I was paid Bi-Weekly through the payroll.
3. My contract says the relationship is not employer/employee. But I did not have management control, stand to make/lose money, subcontract work out, etc (all the factors considered to determine employee vs. contractor by CRA - STRONGLY suggests that I was an employee.

Questions:
1. When I do my online Express Entry Profile - should I tick the box that says "this work experience is self employed"?
I have a similar situation. My agreement letter says that i am an independent contractor. I sought a reference letter from the company i am working as a client with. It has all the details required for a reference letter. However, do I consider it as a self-employment? I am not a corporate but an individual and i dont have any evidence of business ownership. So should I tick the 'self employed' option?

mariee81

Aug 5, 2020
I have a similar situation. My agreement letter says that i am an independent contractor. I sought a reference letter from the company i am working as a client with. It has all the details required for a reference letter. However, do I consider it as a self-employment? I am not a corporate but an individual and i dont have any evidence of business ownership. So should I tick the 'self employed' option?
I am in the same situation. Please help!