+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Including short term jobs or part-time jobs in Work History for Express Entry profile

Mar 2, 2022
Hi All,

I was planning to submit my Express Entry profile for the FSWP soon but had a question about the Work History section in there.
I had one full-time job before that was for a duration of 1.5 years. Apart from that, I have done a lot of part-time jobs for a short duration, I was wondering whether I should put them in there for my work history to add to that so I could get to a total of 3 years of work history. But I was worried that work for less than 1 year of full-time duration won’t count for Express Entry but I wasn’t sure. Also, since I changed my career direction, these part-time jobs would fall in different NOC codes apart from the full-time job of 1.5 years.

Please let me know which of these options would qualify for that:
1. Work as a TA for 2 academic years from August 2015 to May 2017. It was 20 hours a week but due to how the academic year works there was a break in May-August 2016. So while the profile only asks for the start date and end date, how do I account for the break where I didn’t work at all?
2. Part-time work as a contractor for a firm from December 2020 which continues till the present day but I have worked a total of only 150 hours in this time duration as they needed me only for some aspects of the work. So it would add up to a little more than 1 month of full-time work as Express Entry defines full-time as 30 hours a week.
3. Current full-time role which I started 4 months ago but is going to continue in the future. But until now, I only have 4 months of full-time work.

Which ones of these 3 above options would qualify for including in my Work History section? Also, since these jobs are in different NOCs apart from my earlier full-time job of 1.5 years as I changed the direction of my career, would they qualify as work experience?

Thanks!

gracefu68

Star Member
Jun 30, 2022
Hi All,

I was planning to submit my Express Entry profile for the FSWP soon but had a question about the Work History section in there.
I had one full-time job before that was for a duration of 1.5 years. Apart from that, I have done a lot of part-time jobs for a short duration, I was wondering whether I should put them in there for my work history to add to that so I could get to a total of 3 years of work history. But I was worried that work for less than 1 year of full-time duration won’t count for Express Entry but I wasn’t sure. Also, since I changed my career direction, these part-time jobs would fall in different NOC codes apart from the full-time job of 1.5 years.

1. Work as a TA for 2 academic years from August 2015 to May 2017. It was 20 hours a week but due to how the academic year works there was a break in May-August 2016. So while the profile only asks for the start date and end date, how do I account for the break where I didn’t work at all?
2. Part-time work as a contractor for a firm from December 2020 which continues till the present day but I have worked a total of only 150 hours in this time duration as they needed me only for some aspects of the work. So it would add up to a little more than 1 month of full-time work as Express Entry defines full-time as 30 hours a week.
3. Current full-time role which I started 4 months ago but is going to continue in the future. But until now, I only have 4 months of full-time work.

Which ones of these 3 above options would qualify for including in my Work History section? Also, since these jobs are in different NOCs apart from my earlier full-time job of 1.5 years as I changed the direction of my career, would they qualify as work experience?

Thanks!
Interesting question. I'd like to know an answer as well for your second point. However, what I'd like to know is, if full-time work experience as a contractor with a company is considered for Express Entry. I'd appreciate an answer for this as well.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi All,

Thanks!
You had to mention all work experiences whether part time, casual or full time. Mention the relevant one in the column given, moreover I believe on your experience letter it would have been mentioned casual, part time or full time as applicable.

Mar 2, 2022
You had to mention all work experiences whether part time, casual or full time. Mention the relevant one in the column given, moreover I believe on your experience letter it would have been mentioned casual, part time or full time as applicable.
Thanks for your response. How do I mention the work experience as a contractor for a firm that I've worked for a 1.5 years now but the amount of work hours total to only 150 hours in that duration? Since the profile form only asks for the start date and end date and number of hours per week, it wouldn't capture the information exactly. For me, it would amount to less than 2 hours per week.

Also, does work experience as a Teaching Assistant while doing a full-time degree in the US so outside Canada count for work experience for FSWP?

Thanks!