+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inadmissiability Assessment Vs Temporary Resident Permit

justfromerica

Mar 22, 2015
Hi there,

I just spoke with one of the lawyers from this website via the phone to discuss my wife's inadmissibility, and he said he would be sending me an email with more information, and to start with doing an assesment for $7.50 unless he meant $750.00??? to determine my wife's inadmissibility.

But I was also looking up a temporary resident permit, and how they can apply for people who have been considered criminally inadmissiable, but are only valid for 3 years. It says you can extend them, but could you also just apply inland for Permanent Residency when in Canada? Can you work right away with a TRP?

If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know. I have a huge amount of questions for the laweyer but I really can't afford to obtain their services, so if possible, I wanted to move forward myself but I might be stuck if I need an assesment.

Thoughts??

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
justfromerica said:
Hi there,

I just spoke with one of the lawyers from this website via the phone to discuss my wife's inadmissibility, and he said he would be sending me an email with more information, and to start with doing an assesment for $7.50 unless he meant $750.00??? to determine my wife's inadmissibility.

But I was also looking up a temporary resident permit, and how they can apply for people who have been considered criminally inadmissiable, but are only valid for 3 years. It says you can extend them, but could you also just apply inland for Permanent Residency when in Canada? Can you work right away with a TRP?

If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know. I have a huge amount of questions for the laweyer but I really can't afford to obtain their services, so if possible, I wanted to move forward myself but I might be stuck if I need an assesment.

Thoughts??
Ok...have you ever heard of a lawyer ever only charging $7.50 for their services?

You might consider sharing her inadmissibility issues here and see what kind of suggestions you receive.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't be approved as a PR while still inadmissible (even if you have a TRP). You have to apply for and obtain rehabilitation first. And to apply for rehabilitation you have to qualify for rehabilitation.

Note that TRPs aren't all that easy to get. You can apply - but there's no guarantee you'll get one.

justfromerica

Mar 22, 2015
Ponga said:
Ok...have you ever heard of a lawyer ever only charging $7.50 for their services?

You might consider sharing her inadmissibility issues here and see what kind of suggestions you receive.
Well he didn't specifty, an assesment in my mind is like a small test to see what direction you need to go, similiar to the free one they offer on the website but more specified for criminal inadmissibility. I couldn't imagine that costing $750.00 dollars... but I have no experience with immigration lawyers, I did the US immigration process all on my own without issue.

I have shared my issues in previous threads, nobody can give me a direct answer as my situation is kind of specific. I'm stuck, I can't really proceed unless I know for sure that she would have to do Rehabillitation or if a TRV is a better option. But nobody can give me an answer. I don't want to do rehabillitation to find out we didn't need to, and if we have to do it, we will, I just need to know where to start.

The lawyer briefly said someting like "well if she was 35 and got the DUI then yes she would be, but 18 might be a little tricky or a different situation." but again, no concrete information. I never got any email from him either, so...

justfromerica

Mar 22, 2015
scylla said:
You can't be approved as a PR while still inadmissible (even if you have a TRP). You have to apply for and obtain rehabilitation first. And to apply for rehabilitation you have to qualify for rehabilitation.

Note that TRPs aren't all that easy to get. You can apply - but there's no guarantee you'll get one.
Oh okay, gotcha, thank you.

justfromerica

Mar 22, 2015
Whoop, nevermind. He sent me a contract, and it says CAD 750, so I guess that really is the amount. I can't afford to hire a lawyer, and
I know I can do it on my own if I just could get a yes or no answer for Rehabilitation. Sigh, so frustrating.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Based upon your post in your other thread, I don't think she's even able to apply for rehabilitation until late this year:

justfromerica said:
If by complete her sentence, you mean was done with all the probation/fees/classes would have been towards the end of 2010. Is that where the 5 years starts? Not from the initial arrest?

I did the the US process all on my own successfully without lawyers or any issues, so I was hoping I could figure this out on my own. I will talk to the CIC tomorrow and go from there.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I have posted what your wrote in your other thread below the line for quick reference.

I have a friend whose husband had a DUI in South Korea back in 2008. They had to complete the rehabilitation forms and became PR in January 2015. He was well over 18 when it happened. I think more information is needed:

1. when was the last date she served her parole? If she is considered inadmissible, that is when the 5 year period to be deemed rehabilitated starts to count (i.e. after completing all her sentence and that includes fines, suspension of licence, parole, etc).

2. Have you gone to legal aid, the YMCA or other immigrant settlement group in your city? I know you are a citizen but they may know of resources that might be helpful to you.

I usually pay for a 1 hr consultation and come prepared with questions, forms filled out (if necessary), etc to make the most of it since it is not cheap. If I decide to retain the lawyer, they send me a retainer agreement (contract) and I pay a retainer fee before work commences. If you were sent a contract, sounds like a retainer agreement but it is not clear whether have you decided retain the lawyer? There is a different between a consultation or initial assessment and actually retaining lawyer services. You may need to clarify that first.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_
Hey everyone,

I'm a Canadian citizen living in the US with my American wife. I have my 2 year conditional green card, but we are unhappy here in the US and want to move to Canada.

However, we have one complicated element to our case:

My wife got a DUI December 2009, so over 5 years ago. She had turned 18 that previous June. She had the case plead down to Youthtful Offender, because in the state of Alabama, they don't expunge. Essentially the best they could do to remove it from her record, so it hasn't shown up on background checks for jobs etc.

I know DUI's render you inadmissible to Canada, but if it says "Youthful Offender" on her police clearance, or nothing at all, would she still be considered admissible? She paid a fee, had her licence suspended for 9 months, and had to go AA/NA/Drug School for 3 months and was on probation for 6 months.

This is all I found on the CIC website:

In Canada, a young offender is someone who is 12 years of age or older but less than 18 years of age.

You are not inadmissible if you:

were convicted in Canada under the Young Offenders Act or the Youth Criminal Justice Act, unless you received an adult sentence,
were treated as a young offender in a country which has special provisions for young offenders, or
were convicted in a country which does not have special provisions for young offenders but the circumstances of your conviction are such that you would not have received an adult sentence in Canada.

You are inadmissible if you:

were convicted in adult court in a country that has special provisions for young offenders, or
were convicted in a country which does not have special provisions for young offenders but the circumstances of your conviction are such that you would have been treated as an adult in Canada

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
I have posted what your wrote in your other thread below the line for quick reference.

I have a friend whose husband had a DUI in South Korea back in 2008. They had to complete the rehabilitation forms and became PR in January 2015. He was well over 18 when it happened. I think more information is needed:

1. when was the last date she served her parole? If she is considered inadmissible, that is when the 5 year period to be deemed rehabilitated starts to count (i.e. after completing all her sentence and that includes fines, suspension of licence, parole, etc).

2. Have you gone to legal aid, the YMCA or other immigrant settlement group in your city? I know you are a citizen but they may know of resources that might be helpful to you.

I usually pay for a 1 hr consultation and come prepared with questions, forms filled out (if necessary), etc to make the most of it since it is not cheap. If I decide to retain the lawyer, they send me a retainer agreement (contract) and I pay a retainer fee before work commences. If you were sent a contract, sounds like a retainer agreement but it is not clear whether have you decided retain the lawyer? There is a different between a consultation or initial assessment and actually retaining lawyer services. You may need to clarify that first.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_
Hey everyone,

I'm a Canadian citizen living in the US with my American wife. I have my 2 year conditional green card, but we are unhappy here in the US and want to move to Canada.

However, we have one complicated element to our case:

My wife got a DUI December 2009, so over 5 years ago. She had turned 18 that previous June. She had the case plead down to Youthtful Offender, because in the state of Alabama, they don't expunge. Essentially the best they could do to remove it from her record, so it hasn't shown up on background checks for jobs etc.

I know DUI's render you inadmissible to Canada, but if it says "Youthful Offender" on her police clearance, or nothing at all, would she still be considered admissible? She paid a fee, had her licence suspended for 9 months, and had to go AA/NA/Drug School for 3 months and was on probation for 6 months.

This is all I found on the CIC website:

In Canada, a young offender is someone who is 12 years of age or older but less than 18 years of age.

You are not inadmissible if you:

were convicted in Canada under the Young Offenders Act or the Youth Criminal Justice Act, unless you received an adult sentence,
were treated as a young offender in a country which has special provisions for young offenders, or
were convicted in a country which does not have special provisions for young offenders but the circumstances of your conviction are such that you would not have received an adult sentence in Canada.

You are inadmissible if you:

were convicted in adult court in a country that has special provisions for young offenders, or
were convicted in a country which does not have special provisions for young offenders but the circumstances of your conviction are such that you would have been treated as an adult in Canada
Since she was 18 when she got the DUI, it certainly seems that she would be deemed inadmissible.

justfromerica

Mar 22, 2015
I'd have to get my wife to somehow access all the stuff to do with her case to get the exact dates on when everything was completed. Would we jysr contact the police department for all those files??

The lawyer made it seem like her being 18 and charged as a Youthful Offender would be a different story than her being older and getting a DUI, but really didn't elaborate.

From what I've read, it would make her inadmissible, but it's like this stupid grey area where I keep getting little timbits of information that make me doubt what I already know.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
I would suggest you apply for a police clearance and see if it is on her record first. Also send for the court documents.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
justfromerica said:
I'd have to get my wife to somehow access all the stuff to do with her case to get the exact dates on when everything was completed. Would we jysr contact the police department for all those files??
i would recommend contacting the court house where her case was heard and the attorney that handled the case. i believe the police would have information about her arrest/charges, not necessarily the court documents that outline the outcome. and i agree to start processing the fbi record to see what it shows.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
justfromerica said:

The lawyer made it seem like her being 18 and charged as a Youthful Offender would be a different story than her being older and getting a DUI, but really didn't elaborate.

From what I've read, it would make her inadmissible, but it's like this stupid grey area where I keep getting little timbits of information that make me doubt what I already know.
She was charged with a DUI and she was not a minor when she committed the crime. Had she committed the crime in Canada, she would have been charged as any other adult, gone to adult court and not been able to plead as a "Youthful Offender". This is how CIC will equate the crime with the Canadian criminal code. I don't think that there is any way of avoiding a rehabilitation app.

justfromerica

Mar 22, 2015
Sending away for the FBI clearence right now is an option but then I'd have to wait 2+ months and I can't even apply for Rehabilliation yet, let alone PR. So I would end up having to deal with that twice, which may not be the best use of my time.

Also I read somewhere that even if it didn't show up, you would have to disclose it by Canadian law. I know in the US, in some states, you are legally allowed to enter "no" when asked if you've ever committed a crime. But alas, this is Canada.

It would just be nice to have a lawyer give me a firm yes that I do need to complete Rehabilitation first, even though I'm pretty positive that is the case, I'm cautious about my time and money for this process.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
canuck pretty much summed up what will happen based on the information provided.

i think the point is no one is really going to be able to give you a definitive answer, not even a lawyer. the truth is only CIC will be able to determine whether your wife requires rehabilitation, based on THEIR interpretation of the facts of the case. so really, if you don't want to spend money on a lawyer to tell you he doesn't know, then you will need to apply for rehabilitation and see what cic says. if it's not necessary, then the application (and your fee) will be returned. if it is necessary, then it will be processed. otherwise, you are just going to continue to get "best guesses". even if a lawyer says yes or no, they can be wrong since they are not CIC and don't make the final decision.